spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Hart
join:2002-07-18
Hartland, WI

Hart

U-verse Wiring Questions

I will be be ordering U-verse TV and High Speed Internet services shortly and need help with premise wiring (landline will remain POTS copper). My home is fed by a buried drop that terminates in the basement on a 1975 vintage two line protector block. The POTS line is wired from the protector to a network interface block equipped with an RJ11 disconnect for isolating the house from the drop. The interface block is wired to a 110 block where the inside wiring is terminated. The protector, network interface and 110 blocks are all mounted on a 2x10 floor joist.

Because my loop length is long, U-verse will require pair bonding and I expect the technician will install an NVG589 gateway.

Assuming the network interface block is no longer needed (not sure), where/how/on what are the pairs terminated? Where are they cross connected to the Cat 5e cable feeding the gateway? Will a splitter be required to split off the POTS line? How large are these devices/blocks and can they be mounted on the 2x10 floor joist? If not I will place a back board on the wall.

Milwaukee PT

Anon

First a new (6 line) NID, most likely nodded for branded jack installation. This is to be on the outside of residence, with drop pulled from basement to feed new NID. If drop is not cat3 but quad, a new drop will be needed, tech may run a temporary feed above ground and create a buried drop request, or use existing drop and create a request for new buried drop to be installed. If in north area such as Wisconsin, Michigan expect drop work to be completed in 2nd quarter (April-June).

With new NID using hole from old drop will install new cat5 to RG location and new wiring from NID to phone demarc.... A branded jack install will have a separate unit plugged into wall plate to feed pots back to nid to demarc.

See other posts concerning branded jack, but all Uverse regions should be installing these now.
Hart
Hartland, WI

Hart

What are the dimensions of the 6 line NID? I'm going to insist that it be mounted in the basement. If there's not enough room on the floor joist, I'll mount a backboard on the wall. Also, is the POTS line split out in the NID?

Milwaukee PT

Anon

Your in Waukesha county, the Pewaukee garage should be doing your install but as part of West area, three garages supporting West are Menomonee Falls, Pewaukee and Waukesha so the tech could be from any.

A backboard on wall would be better as allows working at normal height instead of possible using a ladder or stool. Ideally the NID is outside for access, both lineman and if needed buried drop replaced would not require someone to be home, inside connection would with 4 hour appointment windows requiring you to wait for someone to access your basement.

Check your current drop into basement, are colors of wire blue/blue white orange, orange white or red/green/yellow/black (quad). The quad would need replacing.
Milwaukee PT

Milwaukee PT

Anon

Additional, the NID is normally next to power entering home, is there not already that area with box(es) on side of residence.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Hart

Premium Member

to Hart
I'd be surprised if they allow the new NID to be installed inside of your residence. At least around here they insist that they be installed outside since it is the interface between the phone company and the residence. They want to be able to access it without entering the home.
Hart
Hartland, WI

Hart to Milwaukee PT

to Milwaukee PT
Click for full size
Protector, NID, & 110 Block
Click for full size
Protector
Had a new drop buried in 2013; old quad drop gave out after 37 years. See photos of existing service wiring.
Hart

Hart to Milwaukee PT

to Milwaukee PT
Only electric meter.