Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[IE] IE 10 eating RAM when not open

Click for full size
Today, I got on the computer and noticed IE 10 (which was CLOSED) using a large amount of RAM and CPU. Windows 8.0 Pro.

I killed the processes and RAM usage with nothing else open dropped where it should be to 12% and CPU usage to 0%.

What would cause this?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

By 'open' I assume you mean 'a window on-screen'.

So, no window means either IE got stuck somewhere in initialization before it had created a window, or it got stuck somewhere in termination after it had destroyed the last window.

My guess would be (1) termination, since based on the memory usage I'd suppose it had actually been doing something, and (2) the cause is something to do with some plug-in.

Unless it recurs, though, you're not going to be able to figure it out.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

2 recommendations

urbanriot to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Well considering the list of junk apps you have listed in that Task manager, I expect you've installed something that's causing that and I'd start removing them until the issue disappears.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I can say I have seen that behavior before on Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8. Can't say why sometimes IE doesn't fully terminate, but if I ever notice the process still running after closing I just terminate it. It's pretty rare though.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

The only time I see that behaviour is when 'something's up', whether it's a glitch with flash or a javascripting situation that bugged out or who knows what. Or in the OP's situation, at least 4 apps that are deeply rooted in Internet Explorer's functionality.

Now Outlook.exe on the other hand, I'll regularly see that not closing on a healthy system...

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

Now that I think of it... I think I recall the FlashPlayerActiveX control still loaded into memory which was probably why IE did not want to close. But that was ages ago and not as common now. Perhaps Adobe or Microsoft fixed things up a bit.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 edit

19579823 (banned) to Dustyn

to Dustyn

quote:
I can say I have seen that behavior before on Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8. Can't say why sometimes IE doesn't fully terminate, but if I ever notice the process still running after closing I just terminate it. It's pretty rare though.
Well its a pain in the rump,believe you me!!!

Im on 98se and it happens also!!!!!!!! -- Sometimes I can "END TASK" ON ITS 'PROCESS TREE' and get rid of it..... Sometimes not.. (A reboot is needed)

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Just curious - What browsers are you running these days with 98SE ?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 edit

19579823 (banned)

Hello Dave how are ya buddy??

I use MyIE2 99% of the time which is an IE wrapper (IE or Gecko Engine (Firefox)) and I have IE6 on here and websites I visit my browser IDs as IE6 (I have MyIE2 IDent disabled)

MyIE2 is beautiful........ The BEST 3rd party browser I have ever found... I have looked and found a couple different ones over the years,they were all crap compared to MyIE (Which then was MyIE2 and now its Maxthon (Garbage))

I started with this project with MyIE 3.2de and I loved it!!!!!! -- Used it well after MyIE2 came out (different creator -- Made MyIE even better) -- I have the LAST VERSION of "MyIE2" before it was renamed to MAXTHON and it quickly became UTTER GARBAGE!! (All the nice things about MyIE are gone just about (Alot of them anyway))

I also have looked @ firefox but it doesnt seem as fast as IE does... (Even if I set the max connections the same as I have in IE (48)) its CLOSE but not as good.........
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

Re: [IE] IE 10 eating RAM when not open

Huh? None of those programs are "junk". I've had them for many years on XP Pro, Vista Ultimate as well Windows 8. I wouldn't give up a single one.

Plus, why in the world would you think any of those programs that I have used for many years would ONE TIME in all these years suddenly cause IE to act this way?
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

On reflection, I suspect it had to do with a low voltage situation last night that went on for three hours. When the problem began, I shut down running applications. I recall shutting down IE, which was minimized on the taskbar as I was on Fx. Then I shut down Fx, saved my virtual machine. Then I hibernated the host machine and turned off the UPS. I didn't wait for the UPS to automatically hibernate it ...I did wait the usual 5 minutes though. I could see the voltage level dropping slowly but steadily on the UPS so I wanted to turn it off and I decided it did not hibernate the machine because it wasn't a full power outage more like an extended brownout like the ones recently affecting Oahu. (I had certain appliances and lights not affected at all and others completely out and some dimmed) and I was driven nuts by the constant loud beeping of the building's elevator which had no power. Cell phones were out for the entire time but the modem and TV were working fine.

When the power came back on full force, I turned on the UPS and the computer came out of hibernation. No browsers were running but if IE got stuck before I hibernated or during the hibernation, well, that might explain this odd thing because I didn't look at Task Manager then. It was past my bedtime so I didn't use the computer after I turned the UPS back on. When I got on it today I didn't start IE but I noticed it using a lot of RAM and CPU.

This is the second power outage in two weeks...previous one was four and one-half hours. Apparently, the entire state is in for many outages/brownouts in the near future according to HawaiiNewsNow the other night. Ugh. I went through this about 12 years ago and it was awful...now happening again.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Today, I got on the computer and noticed IE 10 (which was CLOSED) using a large amount of RAM and CPU. Windows 8.0 Pro.

I killed the processes and RAM usage with nothing else open dropped where it should be to 12% and CPU usage to 0%.

What would cause this?

This is a "normal" occurrence with IE. Maybe not to one individual, but on a corporate level I see this quite frequently.

IE will sometimes hang when you're trying to open it or when you try to close it.

Simply deleting it from Task Manager "resolves" the issue. If it happened once, it WILL happen again. So keep an eye on it.

And like urbanriot See Profile said...about those apps. If any of those apps you have running are garbage and not necessary, they could have something to do with it. And even if they don't, if they aren't something you installed, I'd still uninstall them. First thing I do when we get new computers in here is remove all the bloat ware and unnecessary garbage from it.

As to why IE hangs...don't they have IE tied to windows explorer some how. Like you could find a history of what local folders you accessed found in IE's web page history. ...or something like that. I seem to remember reading about that a few years ago but I don't truly recall the details.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Your building must be on 3-phase power, and only one of the phases was acting up.

If you get enough issues like that, it might be worthwhile to run an extension cord from where your TV gets its power, over to where your UPS is, and swap the source if the TV still has good power, if you don't want to fully shut down right away.

A larger UPS might also be an option.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

We just had another two hour FULL power outage this evening. I was gone. The UPS did a hibernation and when I got back the power was on but my clocks were flashing and the computer was shutdown.

I don't know if the building is 3 phase or not but EVERYTHING in this entire area were all without electricity. The little house across the street had power to its carport light but all other power was out. Another condo was totally without electricity. It doesn't matter if it is 3 phase as I am concerned about my refrigerator not the computer. The refrigerator is on its own circuit and that is where the concern always is....not your computer or anything else!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

said by onebadmofo :
As to why IE hangs...don't they have IE tied to windows explorer some how. Like you could find a history of what local folders you accessed found in IE's web page history.
I just tried that..... I opened "My computer" and went to C directory,then to PROGRAM FOLDER and then to a folder within it.. Then I backed out back to MY COMPUTER and pressed CTRL-H and all I saw was the internet URLs I went to,not the local stuff.... (It must put the local stuff IN A DIFFERENT ZONE (Which would be safer))

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

We just had another two hour FULL power outage this evening....

My idea would not have helped if all of the phases were out.

I wonder how large and costly of a UPS would keep your fridge up long enough to be worthwhile ?

Mind you, a couple of hours of outage wouldn't spoil anything, but how often does it get how much worse to be worthwhile doing that, and how expensive is your food ?

It's a balance, just like when you chose the UPS size for your computer(s).

And the IE task continuing may or may not be due to the computer hibernating and waking poorly.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re: ‏

said by 19579823:

said by onebadmofo :
As to why IE hangs...don't they have IE tied to windows explorer some how. Like you could find a history of what local folders you accessed found in IE's web page history.
I just tried that..... I opened "My computer" and went to C directory,then to PROGRAM FOLDER and then to a folder within it.. Then I backed out back to MY COMPUTER and pressed CTRL-H and all I saw was the internet URLs I went to,not the local stuff.... (It must put the local stuff IN A DIFFERENT ZONE (Which would be safer))

Ok then maybe they changed it. It was years ago while on XP. (i think)
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

What would cause this?

i have some advice may not be good and u may choose to ignore me but here it is

stop using these they are the mem hogs specialy all 32 bit stuff if u have a 64bit os use everything thats 64bit NOT 32bits

IE 32 bit - use 64bit version

proximitron

brs - if its the lil pink cat defently stop using it

win patrol

gadwin printscreen - use windows build in print screen

net meter

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

said by onebadmofo :

Here we go. I actually had to set up a computer for a temp and the only thing available was an XP machine. ....figured I'd test it out.

19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

4 edits

19579823 (banned)

Thank you.......

Im on IE6 and I guess the local entries are seperate?? (I think its safer that way,im not sure why later versions of IE combined them in the same zone -- Not very good!! (Anyone sniffing your HISTORY may be able to obtain private folder info that way,etc))

Here is what my history tab looks like IN IE6 (Not MyIE2) after going to local folders (My computer,programs files and then internet explorer and back)

The local stuff DOES NOT SHOW UP in the MyIE2 history tab either... (It shouldnt really..... INTERNET HISTORY AND LOCAL HISTORY SHOULD NOT BE COMBINED!!)

19579823 (banned)

Click for full size

Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239

Wow. Just wow. Not a single one of those is a memory hog. I would not be on the internet without Proxo. I don't move to Linux partly because it is hard to use Proxo on Linux.

I do use IE 64 bit but I also have that god awful junk crap UAC disabled in the registry. That means that tabs in IE run as 32 bit even though 64 bit IE is running. (It also means that no Metro app will run which is fine with me as I don't want any of those).

I've used that crappy built in print screen. It can't hold a candle to the version of Printscreen that I use (not the latest version which is horrible).

Net meter....have to protect myself from my ISP and their crapped up meter. I have NetMeter stats going back many years.

WinPatrol....what planet are you from to suggest not using WinPatrol? Again, wow, just wow.

I'm surprised you think it is ok to use Fx 35 (and 31.4ESR and SeaMonkey) since they are all 32 bit.

Why would you make such an extremely drastic suggestion when this problem has occurred ONE TIME ONLY in over two years of having this machine? I have 16GB RAM and even with a virtual machine running (with Win 10 Preview), three browsers with over 100 tabs on the host machine and a couple of browsers with 50-80 tabs on the guest machine, I never get above 48% total RAM usage on the host. In this case, I saw 20% RAM usage instead the expected 12-13%.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

Thank you.......

Im on IE6 and I guess the local entries are seperate?? (I think its safer that way,im not sure why later versions of IE combined them in the same zone -- Not very good!! (Anyone sniffing your HISTORY may be able to obtain private folder info that way,etc))

Here is what my history tab looks like IN IE6 (Not MyIE2) after going to local folders (My computer,programs files and then internet explorer and back)

The local stuff DOES NOT SHOW UP in the MyIE2 history tab either... (It shouldnt really..... INTERNET HISTORY AND LOCAL HISTORY SHOULD NOT BE COMBINED!!)

Yeah I agree.
I guess their thinking was to make it a convenience. But didn't Explorer in XP have a history button in the window? (I don't have the XP machine in my office anymore to check) If so, why also place it in a VERY insecure web browser?