LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

[Equipment] C610A battery recommendations

I was pretty disappointed with the battery life of the factory C610A batteries. Right away, I bought some higher capacity batteries from Radio Shack. These turned out to be turds and are starting to fail. Does anyone have any recommendations for decent batteries for these things?

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

2 recommendations

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by nunya:

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent batteries for these things?

I use Eneloop batteries for my Gigaset IP Phone and all other devices.

In my experience Eneloop is the best battery brand on the market today.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I'm confused by the "Eneloop" information. Do you have to use "their" charger? That would be terribly inconvenient.

Arne Bolen
Premium Member
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by nunya:

Do you have to use "their" charger?

There is no need to use their charger and AFAIK it's not required.

I'm using a cheap NiMH charger and I never had any issues.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I too use a standard charger with my Eneloops. There are two types - the XX type has higher capacity, but can be recharged fewer times.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Do you leave your Gigasets on the charger most of the time?

I have noticed the batteries tend to live a longer, more fulfilling life when the phones are removed from the charger within a few hours of hitting full charge.

If they live on the charger the batteries fail much, much sooner.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge to nunya

to nunya
I researched a rechargeable AA/AAA solution awhile back and came away with Eneloop AA HR6 HR-3UTG batteries and a La Crosse Technology AA/AAA NiCd/NiMH BC-700 charger. Nice kit that worked well until the toys died. Now it's stored.

I vaguely recall that a smart charger can help to optimize battery life.

OE
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by OzarkEdge:

I researched a rechargeable AA/AAA solution awhile back and came away with Eneloop AA HR6 HR-3UTG batteries and a La Crosse Technology AA/AAA NiCd/NiMH BC-700 charger. Nice kit that worked well until the toys died. Now it's stored.

I vaguely recall that a smart charger can help to optimize battery life.

OE

A smart charger or analyzer like the BC700 can help refresh and properly (no over charge) charge batteries. However using a separate charger to charge cordless handset batteries can be rather inconvenient.

Personally, I do pretty much what Trev See Profile suggested above. Once a handset has been fully charged I remove it from the base and use it until it needs to be charged again. The problem with having it sit on the charger is that unlike modern cell phones, cordless phone chargers is basically a dumb trickle charger and continuously supplies a relatively small current to charge the phone regardless of whether the batteries are fully charged or not.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

I was pretty disappointed with the battery life of the factory C610A batteries. Right away, I bought some higher capacity batteries from Radio Shack. These turned out to be turds and are starting to fail. Does anyone have any recommendations for decent batteries for these things?

What type ob batteries does your C810A use? Is is a 3 NiMH batteries in series? If so, there is a chance you can recover/rebuild it using an intelligent charger.

I have an old Uniden UIP1869V 5.8 GHz cordless phone + extensions. The batteries on the extensions got exhausted. The phone would start to beep when just talk in less than 1 minute and the call got dropped after a few seconds later. When someone gave me this BM110 Intelligent Digital Battery Charger, I pealed the plastic cover that wrapped around the batteries and individually rebuilt the outer two batteries using the intelligent charger (just slide it into one of the intelligent battery charger slot. I did not get a chance to rebuild the middle battery because I don't have a proper cable with clips to connect it to the intelligent charger. Since then, my cordless phone works and call can last more than 1 hour without a battery problem. Before the intelligent battery charger, I tried this method with many different (el cheapo) charger to no avail.

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

They use two AAA batteries. The ones that came with mine are NiMH rated at 700mAh. I think they are about two years old and last 3-4 days between charges with light use.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to nunya

to nunya
I bought these -> »www.amazon.com/dp/B00J18PFIO/
as a replacement for a pair of C610A IP handsets. The improvement was noticeable, but does feel a little short of their 1000mAh claims.

What also seems to help the battery life is to turn off the missed call blinker. I upgraded the handset firmware and found it as a new option.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to Trev

Premium Member

to Trev
said by Trev:

They use two AAA batteries.

If you have the intelligent charger, all you need is to individually rebuild them (one at a time).

The ones that came with mine are NiMH rated at 700mAh. I think they are about two years old and last 3-4 days between charges with light use.

I believe my Uniden UIP1869V is 5+ years old and its (factory) batteries are now in good conditions after the last rebuild (almost a year ago).

Also, I have many defunct AA Lenmar 2,000 mAh NiMH batteries that I bought from some local Fry's Electronics store back in 2004. When I put them to use on a Canon Digital Camera after a fully charged, it could only take a maximum of 7 shots with a flashlight on before the batteries went dead. After I rebuilt them using the intelligent battery charger, they are now functioning just fine and I can take 40+ shots with flashlight without a problem.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

1 recommendation

crazyk4952 to Arne Bolen

Premium Member

to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by nunya:

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent batteries for these things?

I use Eneloop batteries for my Gigaset IP Phone and all other devices.

In my experience Eneloop is the best battery brand on the market today.

I agree with this 100%.

I have some AA envelop batteries that are approaching 10 years old and they still work just fine!

I have found that the Gigaset handsets will sometimes keep charging their batteries long after they should (this is called a 'missed termination'). When this happens, I find that I need to manually discharge the batteries fully using something else (like a flashlight). Then put them back in the Gigaset and fully charge them again. I do this about every year and it does have a noticeable effect on battery life.

I've been on the same set of Envelop batteries in my Gigaset handset for about 2 years now and they are still going strong.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

We charge them and then usually use them until dead or dying. Lately, they'll show 3/4 of a charge and poop out as soon as you answer the phone.

If the Eneloop batteries are fine for staying in the phone to charge, I might give them a try. I don't want anything I have to take out and charge.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
The charging circuit on most cordless phones (not limited to just Gigaset) are not always known to be the kindest to batteries, so I don't see any need to buy premium batteries. It certainly doesn't hurt but I just don't think it is worth it.

Eneloop batteries are always a good choice as long as you watch out for counterfeits. Since they are more expensive, I save thems for other devices and charge them on a good quality charger so I don't risk overcharging them and wearing them out early.

High capacity batteries aren't know for lasting very long. They can't take as many charge/discharge cycles before they start experiencing problems, and might not be as tolerant to less than ideal charging conditions. They're great for high drain devices - especially if you charge them and use them right away, but cordless phones definitely cannot take advantage of them.

I just picked up some Tenergy Centura AAA Low Self Discharge Ni-MH batteries (basically eneloop clones) for less than $7 on Amazon. Not worth buying on their own unless you have Prime due to shipping costs, but if you're ordering other things these are worth a shot. They have a pretty good reputation overall and are definitely affordable. Some went into lights; and 2 went into my most frequently used Gigaset C610A which needed a fresh set after wearing out the OE batteries.

The easiest thing to do is just get middle of the range Ni-MH batteries and replace them when they start having issues. Duracell, Rayovac, and Energizer are both readily available locally (Target, Walmart, drug stores, etc) and can be almost always be found for less than $10 for a 4 pack. Stay away from the ultra cheap low capacity batteries and ultra high capacity batteries, and you should be fine for at least 1.5 to 2 years... and maybe much longer depending on your use.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to nunya

to nunya
I have an old A580 IP with three A58H handsets. The batteries shipped with the system were GP 700; yours may be the same. I've used GP for many years and have been quite satisfied. Our setup is a bit unusual; this is a winter home used December through February. When we're here, the handsets are on their chargers except when in use. When gone, the handsets are turned off and the chargers are left disconnected (A/C is also off, with temperature typically 85 to 90 F).

The original batteries worked OK for three years, but when we arrived last December, talk time was less than five minutes. Went to Pantip and bought two 4-packs of GP 1000 at THB270 (~$8.25) per pack. Tested them in a Lacrosse BC 900 charger; capacities ranged from 960 to 1020 mAh, so I assume that they aren't counterfeit. They work fine in the phones, but it's been only ~7 weeks, so I have no idea how long they may last.

Arne Bolen
Premium Member
Utopia

1 recommendation

Arne Bolen to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

If the Eneloop batteries are fine for staying in the phone to charge, I might give them a try. I don't want anything I have to take out and charge.

I never remove the Eneloop batteries from my Gigaset handset and I always keep the handset in the charger between calls.

Despite that, there are no problems even with calls lasting several hours.
advocate99
join:2011-03-08

advocate99 to nunya

to nunya
I use Eneloop for all my devices, including Gigaset and other DECT cordless.

wcweaver
Premium Member
join:2002-02-22
Fort Myers, FL

wcweaver to Trev

Premium Member

to Trev
said by Trev:

Do you leave your Gigasets on the charger most of the time?

I have noticed the batteries tend to live a longer, more fulfilling life when the phones are removed from the charger within a few hours of hitting full charge.

If they live on the charger the batteries fail much, much sooner.

Strange, I leave my phone on the charger and lately have had problems with the phone going dead. I put the batteries in a charger and they show full. I have found that if I remove the batteries from the phone for about 30 minutes and then put different batteries in the phone, the little battery image in the top right screen is a red blank battery. Then it charge for a while and all is well. Has become a pain in the rear. The Gigasts seem to have certain battery preferences.

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by wcweaver:

I have found that if I remove the batteries from the phone for about 30 minutes and then put different batteries in the phone, the little battery image in the top right screen is a red blank battery. Then it charge for a while and all is well.

When switching to new batteries, you should fully charge them (ie. leave it on the charger for at least 8 hours), and then allow them to fully discharge to the point that the phone shuts off. Charge them fully again, and then the phone should have recalibrated itself to the new batteries.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
I don't know if this is a good deal or not. However, NewEggs currently has 4-AAA Eneloop batteries $7.99 + FREE S/H to US. Here is the link (coupon code: EMCANAP23) if anyone is interested.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Expired