Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to zod5000

Premium Member

to zod5000

Re: Windows 10 will be a free update???

said by zod5000:

They sort of tried that with Windows 8. They sold it for $50 for the first few months it was out. Trying to use a relatively cheap price to encourage mass adoption. It failed. I guess they're stepping it up a notch.

I suppose Microsoft makes most of the money from licenses for new PC's (and laptops). People are less likely to upgrade an existing PC if the OS is already paid for (or will pirate it). Why not give people free upgrades on their old devices. It's how Android, iOS, etc.. do it.

The reason that didn't work with windows8 is the IT industry and people that follow it knew it was going to be a turd, it's a Tic cycle OS, and as of yet, not a single one hasn't been a turd.

Not to mention lots of things were broken when windows 8 released, windows 10 being based on the same sort of back end will have a much better compatibility with software in comparison.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by BonezX:

The reason that didn't work with windows8 is the IT industry and people that follow it knew it was going to be a turd, it's a Tic cycle OS, and as of yet, not a single one hasn't been a turd.

Not to mention lots of things were broken when windows 8 released, windows 10 being based on the same sort of back end will have a much better compatibility with software in comparison.

It was a turd because of the massive UI changes and forced Metro on desktop users who don't like it to this day.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

It [Win 8.x] was a turd because of the massive UI changes and forced Metro on desktop users who don't like it to this day.

I finally got thru this thread, and what can I say - You sum it up well.

+1 !!!

Win 10 will be accepted by John Q Public, mostly BECAUSE it will return our Start Menu, and not very much for any under-the-hood improvements.

Of course, if it is a free upgrade, that cannot hurt either.

But to be crystal clear :

If Win 10 (or whatever name they call Win 8.2 next) did not offer a proper built-in legacy START MENU, I would not bother with it even for FREE !!

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

If Win 10 (or whatever name they call Win 8.2 next) did not offer a proper built-in legacy START MENU, I would not bother with it even for FREE !!

I have been using Windows 8.1 for the past year, and have had a start menu from day one. Had to install it extra, sure, but it has not been the big deal that some make it out to be.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Technologically, I agree with you on that.

But when I don my John Q. Public hat, I feel that I should get what what I want for my hard-earned money, and not be bullied by some huge inept corporation.

The SM should be built-in, as all indications now suggest that Win 10's will be.

M$ has learned from this - well sort of.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

It seems to me that Windows 8 was an attempt to get people so used to the Windows Tablet/Phone interface on the desktop that it would help boost sales of Windows phones and tablets. In my opinion such a scheme would only work in reverse. If Windows phones/tablets become popular in their own right, perhaps a segment of those users might appreciate some familiarity on the desktop.

And maybe I am not John Q. Public, but I have never believed how the OS looked and felt in general was super important.

To me it's important that it run the applications that I want and use in a stable and fast fashion. Anything after that is almost irrelevant. Linux would fit that bill for me entirely. The only reason I use Windows at all is for games. If all I wanted to do was browse, watch movies, email, and run basic office apps, a $100 Microsoft tax would be utterly unnecessary.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Many of us here exhibit split personalities, between Techie and JQP, so both arguments are valid, depending upon which hat is being worn by a reader while reading them.

And I agree that MS put the cart before the horse with Win 8 directly onto PCs, even though we sort of understand why they did it.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

It seems to me that Windows 8 was an attempt to get people so used to the Windows Tablet/Phone interface on the desktop that it would help boost sales of Windows phones and tablets.

And in typical Microsoft fashion rather than give users a choice they pulled their long
standing "You will buy it and you will like it!!!" attitude. I guess way back you had to
kiss MS's *ss but not now. John Q Public and...AND John Q Business have twice now
told MS to shove Vista and WindoZe8 where the sun don't shine.

FaxCap

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

....John Q Public and...AND John Q Business have twice now
told MS to shove Vista and WindoZe 8 where the sun don't shine....

And evidently M$ is afraid to go for the 'Hat Trick'.

At least we could tweak Vista into behaving. - I for one have.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

You won't bother then because even though 10 does have a Start Menu it's anything but legacy. It's nothing more than the Metro apps list and Metro desktop mashed in a start menu.

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

I'm perfectly willing to run Win7 until MS drops all support.

FaxCap
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to IamGimli

to IamGimli
I thought the start menu was going to be customizable. You could choose a more classic theme for it or use a more modern tiled metro type interface.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well, in its current state its not much of a start menu... But release day is still long way away so they might change it up still.

But yeah, I'm more than fine with running Win7 Pro 64bit for some years to come.

huh_wha
@start.ca

huh_wha

Anon

said by HiVolt:

Well, in its current state its not much of a start menu... But release day is still long way away so they might change it up still.

But yeah, I'm more than fine with running Win7 Pro 64bit for some years to come.

Ditto. 8 was so horrible. The upgrade advisor said I'd be fine. Boom. Two pieces of software I use every day for work ended up broken. One wouldn't even start, the other crashed randomly 6 times a day, no logs, no warning, just shut right down. Also lost a webcam and a printer/scanner AIO. Thankfully it was only $49 and the re-install of 7 gave me a chance to clean up some stuff I didn't like.

I'll be on 7 until end of days.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by Davesnothere:

You won't bother then because even though 10 does have a Start Menu it's anything but legacy....

Where is the logic in you saying THAT ?

If Win 10 does have a proper Start Menu (as it seems to), then I WOULD give it a chance, provided it is compatible with the hardware of one or another of my PCs.

The Start Menu is the crux though.

It will demonstrate good faith on Microsoft's part.

Or would that be desperation ?
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

said by Davesnothere:

Where is the logic in you saying THAT ?

Read the next sentence of my post.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:

Read the next sentence of my post.

Are you saying that they STILL are not giving us back the old methods in the new Start Menu ?

If true, then I understand now.

I had believed that MS had acquiesced.
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

Yes, that's what I've seen in the tech preview. As HiVolt said there is still time for them to change it before the final release but I doubt they will.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

I was probably going to upgrade from Windows 7 and for that matter I still have an XP machine....

But if that's Microsoft's attitude then I will stay put.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

And I would be willing to upgrade to 7 at some point, and then follow your lead.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I was probably going to upgrade from Windows 7 and for that matter I still have an XP machine....

But if that's Microsoft's attitude then I will stay put.

Agreed.

They don't deserve any of MY money for ANY product nor service, if this latest revelation about Win 8.2, er, I mean Win 9, um, rather Win 10 proves to be true at release time.

= = = = =

Oddly, I had been following the various threads about Win 10 in the MS forum, and I had not reached the same sense of knowledge over there.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by FaxCap:

And I would be willing to upgrade to 7 at some point, and then follow your lead.

What the hell are you running now?

If it's XP, is old hardware limiting you? If it's Vista... Well, shame on you... LOL.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

we got a vista machine kicking around the house, mostly because it's not mine, and i'm too lazy(and cheap) to go buy a win7 license for it.

Personally, if everything supported linux i would be on a distro of some sort, but since it doesn't yet, i'm likely going to pickup win10 when i replace my current desktop(and might as well update the OS on the laptop as well)
DSA
join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

DSA to FaxCap

to FaxCap
8.1 on my surface pro 3, oh yeah baby.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to FaxCap

to FaxCap
I'm waiting for the release of Windows 10 for the Raspberry Pi. My firm will be needing it for a very special industrial automation project we've been studying recently. All the proposals we've received up to now for equipment that can survive -40C weather have been priced way beyond our client's tight budget.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

»www.neowin.net/news/a-ca ··· d-reboot

make sure to keep flash bulbs away from it :P

FaxCap
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

What the hell are you running now?

OS/2?

FaxCap

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

If it's Vista... Well, shame on you... LOL.

I never understood the hate for Vista. I had it from relatively early on and had less issues than I did with XP, 98SE, 95 or 3.11.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

I never understood the hate for Vista.

Really?

It was so insanely slow... you couldn't get anything to run on a machine with less than 4GB of Ram, it may not seem like much now, but back then most machines shipped with 1 or 2 tops.

I've installed Ubuntu and Mint for a lot of people over the years, but never as much as when Vista was shipping with new machines.

EQ

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

I never understood the hate for Vista....

Me neither.

As I have posted numerous times here, based upon personal experience, here is how to tame Vista :

(1) Increase RAM to 2GB as I have (or higher if 64-bit version)

(1) Disable UAC in your user profile

(1) Install SP1 and SP2 and other Windows updates

(1) Set anything in the UI which lets you do so to 'Classic' (Folders, Start Menu, etc)

(1) Disable Aero and other graphic candy

(1) Remove any 3rd-party apps such as Norton or McAfee, and add, well these days, I install MSE

(1) Increase IE to version 8, but no higher

(1) Add some other browser too, if you would rather not only use IE

There, MUCH better !

BTW, my newest PC came with Vista Home Basic, and I saw no reason to change it.

I run XP Home on my main PC, and still use another with Win2K, both daily on the web.