mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass

Re: Windows 10 will be a free update???

Yes, if M$ history is any guide Win 10 should be good.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
It wasn't that bad. NT4 was proably the most stable OS. It was like a rock. These days even their patch control is a joke.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by elwoodblues:

It wasn't that bad. NT4 was proably the most stable OS. It was like a rock. These days even their patch control is a joke.

What was the release before that? NT 3.51?? I ran that for 6 months or so
before 4.0 hit.

FaxCap

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Yes, if M$ history is any guide Win 10 should be good.

I just wish there was a way to have a theme like Windows 7... I can't stand the flat look. It looks 20 years ago.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

But just how long will that lifetime be?

You still believe in fairy tales? They can say whatever excuse they want once they have everybody trapped with their Windows 10.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I hated NT 4, though it was miles ahead of Win 9x. Windows 2000 was much more stable IMO. Too many reboots in NT 4 if you wanted to change something. Even changing the IP address required a reboot!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
Never have, I found the idea silly but it seems you do.

Regarding product life-cycle here is a little primer: MS publishes their product life-cycles in around the time of the OS release so we are close to the time when they could or will shorten product support spans or move to a yearly licencing system.

For example the current OS Windows 8/8.1 will have mainstream support until 2018 and security support till 2023 and don't expect any sort of service pack.

And its earlier product, Windows 7 did have one service pack, and only one, support for original 7 ended in the spring of 2013, win7 SP1 ends in five days, with security support till January 2020.

I'll refrain from posting the life-cycles of server/data-centre products because its unlikely you use them.

You may have noticed that Adobe has changed the way they sell software (or rather the way they sell user licences) its all cloud based, no doubt MS will want to move into that direction as it provides a steady flow of revenue and can decrease piracy though its also irritating as hell.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Riamen

MVM

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

said by elwoodblues:

I hated NT 4, though it was miles ahead of Win 9x. Windows 2000 was much more stable IMO. Too many reboots in NT 4 if you wanted to change something. Even changing the IP address required a reboot!

I remember seeing a comic back in the day about NT 4 that said something like "You have moved your mouse, please reboot Windows NT for the changes to take effect."

Anyhow, Microsoft did more or less the same thing with Windows 8, they released the upgrade for $14 for a few months. Today, the pro upgrade is $249. Clearly they decided that $0 would be a bigger incentive, and that they're not going to make much money off the upgrade anyhow.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Oh...no, it wasn't bad at all....I was just highlighting a quirk in the OS that caused the CPU usage to jump to 100% when you'd move the mouse around a lot...

It was Rock solid...NT 4 SP6a...well, its what I learned on, and ran for many many moons...Cluster Server in Active-Active configuration (mostly because the boss couldn't seem to justify having a backup of our database server just sitting around doing nothing)...back when I guess you could say being an MCSE meant something? lol .

NT4 might have needed reboots to change configuration, but once it was all setup, it was the Ron Popeil set it and forget it....I had uptime on servers for hundreds of days...just humming along doing its thing ...

Separating Processes in Ring 3 vs having access to Ring 0 was genius...it might have been a PITA, but for what it needed to do, pure genius.

It was NT 3.51 before 4.0 but that was just before my time .

Yeah, say what you want about patch control, with NT4, you just ran the Service Pack and away you went...

Now it seems to be a hodgepodge and like you said, a joke.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to FaxCap

MVM

to FaxCap
I had a friend who ran NT 3.51. I'm not entirely sure why. He eventually switched to NT 4, but I'm pretty NT 4 was out when he was still using NT 3.51.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
Patch control now. Not then

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to Jay_P

to Jay_P
said by Jay_P:

Sounds ike a Windows 8 type fail even if the OS is better. It's great news for Linux, who would want to pay monthly/yearly for an OS especially on older hardware.

Totally agree

I love the news....Not because I like Windows (I only use it when I absolutely have to) but as a long time linux user, I eagerly await the influx of converts we will hopefully get

Paying something like $250 for a Pro license (only version worth getting imo) of 1 OS was crazy in the past but even paying $99/year and turning an OS into a subscription based service is even crazier.

Bating people with a "free" upgrade for 1 year and then forcing them to pay every year to keep their OS is almost criminal...Blackmailing people to keep their files/folder intact...or else. No wonder Microsoft doesn't exactly know how it will all work after the 1st year because this is something totally new...OS X (based on linux) and linux itself are one time purchases or free forever, respectively.

mk_416
@start.ca

mk_416

Anon

Nothing released by Microsoft indicates that it will be a subscription based model.

The only out of the box ready and certified distro of Linux is a yearly subscription.

$49/stand alone desktop - no access to support or knowledge base
$179/ connected workstation - no access to support or knowledge base
$299/ desktop or workstation - phone and web knowledge base access

OSX isn't free. It's included in the mark up and since Apple's hardware is becoming less and less upgradable/user interchangeable they know the odds are they will sell you another copy with another system down the road. Furthermore as Apple doesn't release timely updates and fixes it would look really bad on them if they started to charge for what are in most cases version branded bug and security fixes.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Jay_P

to Jay_P
said by Jay_P:

Sounds ike a Windows 8 type fail even if the OS is better. It's great news for Linux, who would want to pay monthly/yearly for an OS especially on older hardware.

I know, just last night i put Ubuntu onto 6 10 year old computers for a charity, the computers were USELESS with windows, with Ubuntu they can probably get another 2 years out of them, AND adding a network printer was easy as pie, unlike with windows "create port" "install driver"
telco_mtl

telco_mtl to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Also, Windows 95...definitely NOT a Win...having supported that garbage when it first came out with GPFs all over the place...you wanted to bash your head in with a keyboard...

And i remember when XP came out it was hated, especially the online activation that wasnt perfected yet
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
Microsoft desperately needs Windows 10 to succeed.

If it flops like Windows 8, and they were afraid to even [have] a Windows 9, then there will be an explosive movement to other OS that have nothing to do with Microsoft.

Already MS is scared to death of the spread of Android to more types of devices.

-----

I'm not surprised they would give free upgrades.

They are shitting in their pants.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to telco_mtl

Premium Member

to telco_mtl
You could run XP on a 6yr old machine, shouldn't be an issue. XP came out in 2002.

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to telco_mtl

to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

I know, just last night i put Ubuntu onto 6 10 year old computers for a charity, the computers were USELESS with windows, with Ubuntu they can probably get another 2 years out of them, AND adding a network printer was easy as pie, unlike with windows "create port" "install driver"

Try xubuntu/lubuntu, less eye candy but runs much faster on older hardware.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to d4m1r

Premium Member

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

OS X (based on linux) and linux itself are one time purchases or free forever, respectively.

OS X is not based on Linux. It's based on NeXTSTEP which in turned is based the Carnegie-Mellon Mach kernel with generous helpings of BSD added in. And unlike Linux, OS X is a certified Unix OS.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
While many of us here kick and scream about this "subscription service" it's the ultimate in preventing piracy.

Online activation was circumvented, there is also a way around using a key management server. Going 100% online pretty much stops this.

Want the latest Service Pack (I suspect we'll never see one again)? Want Windows 10.1(to use the OS X naming) you better have a legit copy.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to d4m1r

to d4m1r
Windows7/8 pro licenses are $160 for an OEM copy, not $250. buy a $10 stick of ram to satisfy the OEM requirement if you feel you need to.

That said, for 90% of home users, they have no need to goto the Pro version, vs home. The biggest differences with Win8 are that non-pro can't join a domain, which only a tiny fraction of home users care about, it doesn't support someone remote desktoping into it (but there are many free apps for this like Teamviewer), and it doesn't have bitlocker, which again, most home users never would use.

I use Pro at home, but I'm far from an average user. I've got a virtual server farm, NAS, PoE switch, and more all rack mounted in my furnace room, with cat6 running all over the house.

Windows is great. I know it's fashionable for people to bash it, but it does it's job very well. Even Win8.1 is quite good. I've been using it for months and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've needed to go into the "metro" environment in the last 30 days.

MS has clarified they are not going to be charging on ongoing fee after the first year, so don't spread FUD.
GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Win7 and Win8 often run even better on old hardware than XP does, though you'd need a license of course.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to FaxCap

to FaxCap
Subscription does actually sound like bad idea in some ways... But the key is always price and choice to opt out.

If windows became a cheap subscription service.... Maybe $20 to $30 for 2 years... For the full on version..... (No more packages) This might actually increase the user base and prevent piracy.

It could be a win for Linux and Windows... And provide an opt out for those who hate buying a PC with a built in Windows license. (In reality, you would be buying your license after the purchase)

While I am a Mac user primarily... I do also use linux in other machines, and I virturalize Windows when I need to. There are strengths and weaknesses to each OS.

What would actually be good is a easy to use manufacturers boot loader... More polished and completely seamless than grub or the bios boot loading. Something that allows the use to select his/her OS on purchase (or even run multiple OS's seamlessly)

While I am not a huge fan of boot camp, it is probably one of the more seamless and easy to use setups out there now.... Just wish you could select more than one OS without extra software.

While I know all this exists already (I use it on some the muti boot software on my PC' and Macs) Making it seamless for non techies is important.... That is the key with this sort of concept.

A PC, that offers the user his choice of OS's... In an easy to use non technical manner might be a winner for the consumer, and avoid having to get a rebate on licenses.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by elwoodblues:

For the First year so it smells like a subscription service to me.

Hah, yeah i didnt catch that part...

It'll be a cold day in hell when i pay yearly subscription for an OS....

Yeah...I believe it may also be a subscription service...

»[WIN10] Windows 10 maybe a monthly subscription?
vue666

vue666 (banned) to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Wow, heh... Took them long enough... Apple has been giving away OS upgrades for the past 2 or 3 years....

Too bad it still looks like Windows 3.1 with that god awful flat interface...

But Apple sells hardware & can afford to include an OS with their overpriced computers and devices.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
It's already been mentioned more than once and confirmed by MS that it's not a subscription. License for Win10 will be for a lifetime.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to GreenEnvy22

to GreenEnvy22
said by GreenEnvy22:

Windows is great. I know it's fashionable for people to bash it, but it does it's job very well.

From your mouth to God's ear. Market share doesn't lie.

Jethro86
join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON

Jethro86 to mr weather

to mr weather
Unless..... the Windows 9 was going to be good and they skipped to the "bad" Windows 10???
Conspiracy much?!?!?!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to GreenEnvy22

MVM

to GreenEnvy22
said by GreenEnvy22:

Windows7/8 pro licenses are $160 for an OEM copy, not $250. buy a $10 stick of ram to satisfy the OEM requirement if you feel you need to.

That said, for 90% of home users, they have no need to goto the Pro version, vs home. The biggest differences with Win8 are that non-pro can't join a domain, which only a tiny fraction of home users care about, it doesn't support someone remote desktoping into it (but there are many free apps for this like Teamviewer), and it doesn't have bitlocker, which again, most home users never would use.

I use Pro at home, but I'm far from an average user. I've got a virtual server farm, NAS, PoE switch, and more all rack mounted in my furnace room, with cat6 running all over the house.

Windows is great. I know it's fashionable for people to bash it, but it does it's job very well. Even Win8.1 is quite good. I've been using it for months and I can probably count on one hand how many times I've needed to go into the "metro" environment in the last 30 days.

MS has clarified they are not going to be charging on ongoing fee after the first year, so don't spread FUD.

One big difference is that Windows 8.1 Pro supports remote desktop (as a host), and Windows 8.1 does not. That's not something that I could live without, and so on a new PC I'd be forced to pay $249 for Windows 8.1 Pro.

Luckily, I had Windows 7 Pro, and was able to get the $14 upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win8 Pro. When Win10 comes out, I'll take advantage of the free upgrade as soon as it's available.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to Jethro86

to Jethro86
Not sure if that's true: »www.osnews.com/story/279 ··· ndows_9_

...but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.