You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

2 recommendations

takeahike

Premium Member

Windows 10 will be free for Win 7 & 8 users

Sounds good. But what I want to know is whether you'll be able to do a clean install or will it be their crappy in place upgrade only. Years ago all you needed was the old disk for a clean install but recently they've made everything more difficult, as usual. See: »www.yahoo.com/tech/s/awe ··· 936.html
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

It is not clear if it's free for the first year of upgrading, or free for the first year only. A lot are confused if it's free for the first year, then pay some type of subscription.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year
»www.bbc.com/news/technol ··· 30924022
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I'm too lazy to read all the stories right now. If they give the free upgrade, but don't honor the paid support period of the previous os license I'd rather stay on the previous os. It's that simple. If they actually give you support till the end of the os you upgraded from that would make sense with a move towards the subscription model.

I might make a second install of windows, and then upgrade that to Win 10 just to have around either way. I can only hope they allow you to download the iso for a clean install, I hate upgrade installs.

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
My take is that if you have Windows 7 you'll have a year to do the upgrade and that even that restriction doesn't apply if you have Windows 8 or 8.1. I don't see anything that limits the time that you can use it once you've got it for free. I imagine that re-installs after crashes beyond that initial year will present problems unless it's just that they stop giving keys after the first year offer is over.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
Just read the BBC story, they're going to give it away for a year. After that you pay for it.

I'n sure you are going to have a "valid" license
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to takeahike

to takeahike
Ok, now I'm confused. is it free indefinitely for the lifetime of your machine if you upgrade within the year it's released coming from 7 and 8.1, or is it only free for a 12 month period?

takeahike
Premium Member
Catacombs

takeahike

Premium Member

Again, I see it as no limit to being free from Windows 8 and 8.1, but you have only one year from the release date to get it if you have Windows 7. I don't see any restriction on how long you can use it once you have it. If you have a crash after the year from the upgrade from Windows 7 and have to re-install, I'm not sure what will happen.
saiyan
join:2000-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

saiyan to takeahike

to takeahike
I bet this offer is only for consumer version of Windows 10 (starter edition or home edition).

If you need features such as joining active directory domains or BitLocker disk encryption, you will have to purchase Pro or Enterprise editions.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
NM doubled
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
Why would it ever be for the lifetime of your machine? That has never been the case.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Yahoo and BBC report the free story different. A couple days more should clear this up. ONE thing is FOR SURE, I will have a good backup of any computer I upgrade to Win10. I do like what I have seen on the Win10 preview though. Also I would like to but a version that I can put on any future computers without a fee.

Boooost
@151.190.254.x

Boooost to takeahike

Anon

to takeahike
Wait - Did I sleep through Windows 9 ?

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

No not at all, It will send you to Linux Mint.

AnonDude
@charter.com

AnonDude to DarkSithPro

Anon

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

It is not clear if it's free for the first year of upgrading, or free for the first year only. A lot are confused if it's free for the first year, then pay some type of subscription.

it simple. If you have Windows 8.1 or 7 then within the first year of Windows 10 release then upgrade is free. FOREVER. If you wait after the first year then you pay. Why is this hard to understand?
AnonDude

AnonDude to Boooost

Anon

to Boooost
said by Boooost :

Wait - Did I sleep through Windows 9 ?

This was explained like 5 months ago. So yes you slept through something.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
The media briefing is over and there's this write-up available now:
quote:
We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device - at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking "What version are you on?" will cease to make sense - which is great news for our Windows developers. With universal Windows apps that work across the entire device family, developers can build one app that targets the broadest range of devices- including the PC, tablet, phone, Xbox, the Internet of Things, and more.
»blogs.windows.com/bloggi ··· dows-10/

*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge. Feature availability may vary by device. Some editions excluded. More details at »www.windows.com.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 recommendation

StillLearn

Premium Member

>http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html#tk.rss_all
>>>
"We think of Windows 10 as a service," Myerson said.

The decision to make Windows 10 a free upgrade for existing users%u2014at least for a limited time%u2014makes sense. Windows 8 users have vocally expressed their displeasure with the operating system, prompting happy Windows 7 users to stay put on that OS. That hinders Microsoft's ability to execute its vision for a service-centric, cloud-connected future for Windows; making Windows 10 free could spur more users into embracing a modern Microsoft operating system.
That cloud and "a service" stuff bothers me. That is something that I don't want. I really think I need to have my data on my computer rather than in a cloud. (If you think I should have written "the cloud", are we to presume there is only one cloud?)

Neither would I like to have my computer get disabled at the end of a subscription. I hope I am worrying to much about this.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

You could still make a local account, but if you wanted to install or update metro apps you needed to at least link a microsoft account with the store, you can also sign into certain metro apps individually. I too do not want my ability to login to my machine controlled by the cloud.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Very interesting. I am pleasantly surprised they're including Win7 users. My main desktop is still on Win7 Pro.

Anyone know if that applies to ALL Win7 users? I used an upgrade license to go from XP to Win7. Also same question as above if it will requires that "in place" method or we can do a clean install.

My wife has a laptop with Win8. They really need to make the upgrade to 10 easier and more straightforward, because she still doesn't have 8.1.

AnonDude
@charter.com

AnonDude to StillLearn

Anon

to StillLearn
Susan Bradley, a Microsoft MVP and writer for Windows Secrets, relayed that Nadella reiterated to journalists that all customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free within a one-year period following the operating system’s launch later this year. After that one-year window (no pun intended) expires, users will have to pay for Windows, just as they always have. Those who have already downloaded it for free get to keep it forever, though. It won’t suddenly expire or require customers to pay when the one-year period is up.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

Very interesting. I am pleasantly surprised they're including Win7 users....

They OUGHT to, as sooooooooooooooooooooo many folks have held off buying new PCs, or proactively sought used or straggler Win 7 units in order to avoid Win 8.x's hell.

Sh00t, major PC vendors have continued offering NEW PCs as recently as for Xmas 2014, equipped with Win 7, and I got several opted-in emails from HP to remind me of this.

BTW, if M$ was REALLY serious about retiring XP, they would offer the deal to XP (and Vista, closing the full circle here) users too.

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to AnonDude

Premium Member

to AnonDude
I'm curious if MS will do the same thing with Win10 that they did with Vista when they offered that up for free.

If you wanted it for nothing, you had to install tracking software on your computer for 3 months. After that, you received the license.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to takeahike

to takeahike
So if I am running Windows 7 on one machine and Windows 8.1 on the other, I can get a free upgrade to Windows 10?
How many systems is the product key good for?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
Aw, you mean I have to update to 8.1 to get 10 free?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

BTW, if M$ was REALLY serious about retiring XP, they would offer the deal to XP (and Vista, closing the full circle here) users too.

I just can't see them doing that and primarily I think that it's from a technical standpoint.

First you have to look at Windows XP and compare it to a more modern version of Windows, Windows 7 for instance. Windows XP is so radically different under the hood from Windows 7 that upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7 would be a nightmare. Granted I know that you can't upgrade XP to 7 but you can upgrade XP to Vista and even that was a nightmare.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to takeahike

to takeahike
Likely it will work this way. You upgrade from windows 7 to 10 having a valid windows 7 lic. You will then get a windows 10 key for the iso you download and install. This does not sound like a upgrade as in upgrading a os install but a upgrade as in you have windows 7 now you can install windows 10. They could just transfer your 7 or 8.x key to 10 invalidating your 7 or 8.x key for 7 or 8.x. Meaing it is now a win 10 cd key.

Ever sense xp all upgrade cds can be used as full install cds only the key is different. Moving from windows 98 to xp simply required you to enter a valid 98 or windows me key to install clean.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
I seriously doubt any machine that was built during xps life time could even run 10. I tried installing on my old laptop that had xp pro and it was a no go as it did not support the no execute bit. I suppose a few eople might have installed xp on new machines made in the last 5 or so years for what ever reason. But over all that number is going to be quite small. And being that those machines have a valid 7 or 8.x key they would qualify.

If needed a owner could download a torrent of 7 or 8.x install it and not use any crack etc and simply use their legit key to qualify for the upgrade. I had my windows 2k cd get stllen many years ago and downloaded from bit torrent after calling ms and them giving me a link to down load the iso. But to put it simply it was going to take 8 hours to dl from ms and only a hour to grab from torrent lol

Hell i was on the phone with the ms rep when i seen how long it was going to take and hes the one who said "just grab it from bit torrent and use your key."

So if you blew off your restore partition on a new machine with windows 7 and have no cd but do have a key call ms they likely have the iso for dl and if it takes to long grab off bit torrent. Your key is what makes it legit not the cd / iso. That is if you even need it installed. At worst you'll need a dvd to insert in the drive at some point of the install then your legit key then done.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to takeahike

Premium Member

to takeahike
There is a lot of misinformation going around.

If Windows 10 is going to offer a subscription based model, it won't be an exclusively subscription based model. In other words, the option for a permanent license will continue to exist alongside, just as OEMs will still be able to sell computers without being tied to a monthly fee.

The permanent license can be gotten for FREE for the first year of Windows 10 if you have Windows 7 or 8.x, - Now how this exactly is going to work is not yet known. I am assuming you have to purchase it from a fully installed, fully activated Windows 7 or 8.x and then upgrade, BUT you would also get a key issued and a download link to ISO type media.

If that is the case, I might build VM's for the 6+ Windows 7 retail keys I have lying around here and get free Windows 10's for them. True retail keys, same as the ones from a store. (When you work in IT and order $50k worth of SQL Server licenses or $20k worth of Exchange licenses, sometimes the sales rep will "throw you a bone" for personal use after the deal is done. I have a few bones.)
maartena

maartena to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

I seriously doubt any machine that was built during xps life time could even run 10.

I'm not so sure.... Of course it kind of depends what you consider "life time" as it went out of support in 2012, but could still be bought as OEM with selected machines till 2009 when Windows 7 came out. My media center PC at my TV is a small desktop and only has 2 GB. It's a Core i5 from 2010. And running Windows 8.1 perfectly. Of course it doesn't do much but play video, but it seriously works rather well when messing around with it.

If you have a nice Core2Duo machine from 2008, I think Windows 10 will run just fine. I'd go for 4 GB though.