Search similar:

uniqs

davidviolin
@sbcglobal.net

davidviolin

Anon

[trueSTREAM] Questions about DSL modem and service

Hi,

I got my DSL extreme installation today. ATT tech came and I told him I wanted to use my own wifi router.

When I came back home he was done and had left. Somehow when I connected my own wifi router to the modem he installed, the internet did not work. It would only work if I used the box he provided. He had connected an ATT U-verse DSL modem and gateway in one (Pace 5031NV).

My question is: Can I use my own DSl modem? If so, how?

Thank you in advance!

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang

said by davidviolin :

My question is: Can I use my own DSl modem? If so, how?

unless you somehow have gotten your hands on another vdsl2+ modem that can do line bonding (tp-link has had some listed as "coming soon" for a long time) then no, you must use the unit they provided. you can however place it in ip passthrough mode which essentially makes it act like a dumb modem and place your login info into your router and the router will handle everything.
davidviolin2
join:2005-02-15

davidviolin2

Thanks for the reply. Since I was checking out this page before I ordered the service I was under the impression I could use my own modem:
»www.dslextreme.com/suppo ··· dem-list

It wasnt easy but I managed to do a passthrough and using my own cisco wifi router. I just dont like the idea of renting a modem when I can buy a decent one for 30 bux.

I came from Comcast Business Class, and so far the DSL extreme seems to be the same as ATT U-verse (even ATT branded modem).

I guess the only difference then is that DSL extreme does not have the 250GB cap then?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

It's my understanding that if you have DSL, ADSL2, or Fusion, you can use your own modem. But if you have trueSTREAM you have to use their modem. You can either lease it or buy it from DSLX.