ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

[Movies] American Sniper and Birdman

»insidemovies.ew.com/2015 ··· -sniper/

Birdman was just about the dumbest POC I've seen in years....how this garbage got any awards is beyond me.

And when do Americans stop making these moronic military PR movies like American Sniper......why not just call it ''Hurt Locker 2''?

It was just as bad.........brutal acting and dumb macho story.....

HOOYAH.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

2 recommendations

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

We celebrate our military heroes who sacrifice so much--and many times all--in defense of their country, just like civilizations before (who's not heard of Hector, or Achilles, or Rommel, or Audie Murphy?). Or hell -- getting more recent -- Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart?

Kyle's friends said that Kyle came alive in Cooper's portrayal of him, so I wouldn't really knock the acting.

But yeah, substantial amounts of the book were changed in the movie, as inevitably happens to varying degrees when all stories are adapted to the big screen. My father, who was a combat infantry vet in Vietnam, spoke to one of the men present the battle at Ia Drang, and the vet confided to my father that the entire movie (We Were Soldiers) was spot-on accurate up until the charge up the hill to the NV HQ--apparently Hollywood agreed to portray the rest of the movie as they did as long as there was climatic charge at the end. YMMV.

Counter-punch: »www.nationalreview.com/a ··· n-tuttle

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I just find it ironic that here we have a man who reportedly killed 166 enemy combatants and was obviously suffering from PTSD even after his 2nd tour,but was allowed to complete 2 more tours only to comeback and get killed going to a gun range with another soldier who was also suffering PTSD!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

He was killed by a Marine, not a soldier, and it's tragic, since our medical community is only just finally beginning to understand PTSD. I am not sure "irony!" is the right takeaway.

Jay_
Formerly known as Carnage
Premium Member
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On

Jay_

Premium Member

Hate filled American propaganda movie that turns a racist sniper who enjoyed every single kill and WISHED he killed more into a war hero.. Will NEVER watch this movie as I refused to watch any more propaganda after Hurt Locker.

»storify.com/RaniaKhalek/ ··· wn-words

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

2 recommendations

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Jay_:

Hate filled American propaganda movie that turns a racist sniper who enjoyed every single kill and WISHED he killed more

You realize that most of the people he killed were likely foreign jihadists who were attracted to Iraq simply to kill Americans?

Nevermind, I won't waste words if that's your worldview. Some people cannot simply comprehend that there are enemies out there who want them dead, not because of any perceived aggression they can apologize for or hold hands to get over, but simply because it serves their religious agenda.

Sorry bro, the world doesn't work that way.

From the article above I posted:

In his memoir, Kyle writes, “I hated the damn savages” and “I could give a flying f*** about the Iraqis.” According to GQ culture writer Lindy West, writing in the Guardian, that is proof that Kyle at a “bare minimum was a racist who took pleasure in dehumanizing and killing brown people.”
Unsurpisingly, West — who admits in her piece that she has not read Kyle’s book — has torn Kyle’s quotes out of context. “I hated the damn savages I’d been fighting,” he wrote (my emphasis). “I always will. They’ve taken so much from me.”

The use of the word “savages,” which has occasioned so much antipathy, requires context, too. “Savage, despicable evil. That’s what we were fighting in Iraq,” Kyle writes in the book’s prologue. “There really was no other way to describe what we encountered there.” The word “savage” appears seven times in Kyle’s book. “Brown” appears five times — to describe Kyle’s clothing, a cloud, and buildings.

Kyle’s comment that he “could give a flying f*** about” the Iraqis is not straightforward, either. It comes in the context of discussing why Kyle fought at all: “I didn’t risk my life to bring democracy to Iraq. I risked my life for my buddies, to protect my friends and fellow countrymen. I went to war for my country, not Iraq. My country sent me out there so that bullsh*t wouldn’t make its way back to our shores. I never once fought for the Iraqis. I could give a flying f*** about them.” Critics can debate whether Kyle should have taken a liking to the locals, but his apathy toward Iraqis clearly has nothing to do with race.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I hadn't seen "Birdman" yet but am eager to see Michael Keaton's role in it.

Have yet to view "American Sniper" but have been reading mostly favorable reviews of it, until I came across this one from Rolling Stone, 'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize

»www.rollingstone.com/pol ··· cks=true

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well, we know now where Matt Taibbi stands. Certainly an edgy review, citing the "walnut sized brain of the president who got us into the war" and "the failed search for WMD." He certainly pulled the punches and took some journalistic risks, considering the SJW audience of Rolling Stone. Maybe he'll write a rape story they can believe.

Guess I'll go tell all my Marine brothers who got sick from caches of chemical weapons about the "failed search for WMD."

In 2001, Taibbi wrote an article about a dispute he had with a New York Times writer. Taibbi gleefully described how he prepared a cream pie made with horse sperm and humiliated the writer by throwing it at his face and photographing the encounter.[22]

In March 2005, Taibbi's satirical essay, "The 52 Funniest Things About the Upcoming Death of the Pope",[23] published in the New York Press, was denounced by Hillary Clinton, Michael Bloomberg, Matt Drudge, Abe Foxman, and Anthony Weiner. Subsequently, the editor who approved the column was fired.[24] Taibbi defended the piece as "off-the-cuff burlesque of truly tasteless jokes," written to give his readers a break from a long run of his "fulminating political essays." Taibbi also said he was surprised at the vehement reactions to what he wrote "in the waning hours of a Vicodin haze".[25]

Journalist James Verini, while interviewing Taibbi in a Manhattan restaurant for Vanity Fair, said Taibbi cursed and threw a coffee at him, then accosted him as he tried to get away, all in response to Verini's volunteered opinion that Taibbi's book, The Exile: Sex, Drugs, and Libel in the New Russia, was "redundant and discursive".[26] The interview took place in 2010, and Taibbi later described the incident as "an aberration from how I've behaved in the last six or seven years".[27]

After the death of conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart, in March 2012, Taibbi wrote an obituary in Rolling Stone, titled "Andrew Breitbart: Death of a Douche." Many conservatives were angered by the obituary, though Taibbi claimed that it was "at least half an homage," claiming respect for aspects of Breitbart's style but also alluding to Breitbart's own openly derisive obituary of Ted Kennedy.

tl;dr the guy is a violent asshole and shouldn't be depended on to provide a reliable review.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I haven't seen Birdman yet, but I thought American Sniper was pretty good. As usual though, the book was better than the movie.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

SixOfNine to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

tl;dr the guy is a violent asshole and shouldn't be depended on to provide a reliable review.

And it really wasn't a movie review -- more of a political editorial.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to sfogliatelle

Premium Member

to sfogliatelle
quote:
The only thing that forces us to take it seriously is the extraordinary fact that an almost exactly similar worldview consumed the walnut-sized mind of the president who got us into the war in question.
I love this comment...........and wow I thought I hated the movie.

What a wild review.
Jaghar
join:2001-01-30
Painesville, OH

1 recommendation

Jaghar to Jay_

to Jay_
said by Jay_:

Hate filled American propaganda movie that turns a racist sniper who enjoyed every single kill and WISHED he killed more into a war hero.. Will NEVER watch this movie as I refused to watch any more propaganda after Hurt Locker.

Just as in the civilian world, the military is full of individual, some are a "better" person than others. Just because someone is considered a hero doesn't mean you would invite him over for dinner. But if someone is fighting for me, I want them to be willing to pull the trigger. Because, right or wrong, if it comes down to me (and my family) or them, I choose me (us).

WWII wasn't won by pansies. They were tough men, some inevitably were anti-social. Things haven't changed, people are still people. There are still people willing to pull the trigger, and there are still people criticizing them for doing it.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I have not seen these yet, but I remember reading a while back that when the military allows film crews to use their facilities and personnel as set pieces, they expect to review the script that puts the military in a positive light. so movies that are made with negative spin against the us military are made on non usa run facilities and usually at far higher expense.

Tenar
join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON

Tenar to Jay_

to Jay_
I never saw Hurt Locker, but isn't it viewed as an anti-war movie?