Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 edit

Msradell

Premium Member

All of my Favicons are missing

Suddenly this evening all of my icons for favorites are missing from IE 11. I still have the ones in the favorites bar but all the other ones are missing?? I'm not sure what the correct name for them is, I just call them small icons but there may be a more specific term for them.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

They are called favicons .. I have them disabled because my firewall flags some of them as being SUSPICIOUS (Thats 1 reason) (And blocks the page (They are bigger I think than the standard size for a favicon (Yes I could simply add a rule to accept that but I dont wanna bother (Ah man!!))))

Do you have an option in IE11 to disable favicons as I do in MyIE2 bud??

If not,try doing a system restore to yesterday (or when they WERE there) and see if they are back... Good luck

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Re: All of my icons for favorites are missing

Thanks for reminding me what they were called! That I know of there is no way to enable/disable them in IE 11. Doing a restore didn't solve the problem.

I did some more checking and they are they are in Google Chrome and Firefox they are just not showing up in IE 11. Hopefully somebody will come along with more ideas.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

I don't use IE, but as you revisit each site the favicon should be re-downloaded when you load/reload the page. See if that works.

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

I don't use IE, but as you revisit each site the favicon should be re-downloaded when you load/reload the page. See if that works.

That's what I thought too but that's not happening. I'm thinking it must be something else I'm not sure what.
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon

Favicons are stored in the following hidden folder:

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

Are your missing icons there?

If so, have you tried deleting your browsing history?

»www.vistax64.com/tutoria ··· set.html

If not, do you have the cache disabled in IE?

You could also try this:

»www.simplehelp.net/2009/ ··· at-once/
»stefanstools.sourceforge ··· zer.html

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Re: All of my Favicons are missing

Thanks for the ideas!

They are not in the directory you suggested, their file there but they don't have icons on them either.

I've tried deleting the browsing history several times with no success I've also tried running the FavIconizer. I've also run sfc /scannow with no success.

After reading your post I also tried going to the developer tools in IE (F12) and all I get is a blank window with no tools so this may be the root of the problem.

Any ideas what I should do now?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to jupitermoon

to jupitermoon

quote:
......\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
Thank you for confirming this!!

One time I had them enabled in MyIE2 and went to a site,then I opened IE6 and went to the same site AND THE FAVICON WAS THERE!! (I didnt think IE6 read those itself)
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon to Msradell

to Msradell

Re: All of my Favicons are missing

If you click on the Tools menu in IE11, do you see F12 developer tools near the bottom? Is it grayed out?

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by jupitermoon:

If you click on the Tools menu in IE11, do you see F12 developer tools near the bottom? Is it grayed out?

Yes I see the F12 in the tool of menu but when I click it I just get a big blank white box.

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
join:2001-05-28
Cleveland, OH

porkpie to Msradell

to Msradell
Use Am-Deadlink:
»www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

This should get your favicons back

Hope that this helps