spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ganjero
join:2014-12-28
Clearwater, FL

ganjero

AP connection speed

What is the realistic speed connection you should expect from the APs? I just got the service installed in my house. When I wire connect my laptop to my modem I get a speed connection of around 150mb, which is what I am paying for, but when I wire connect the same laptop to my ap the connection is at the most 30mb.

Also, are these AP supposed to be wifi "extenders" or is any given device going to be connected either to the modem wifi or the ap wifi? I am asking because some of my wifi devices seems to lose connection and then regain it. I feel like the devices as I walk around are disconnecting from the modem and then connecting from the ap and vice versa.

Thanks
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Then something is wrong with the install... please get with me in Direct and I'll get someone out there to resolve it.
ganjero
join:2014-12-28
Clearwater, FL

ganjero

Sorry for the late response, I have been out of town for work. Before I post in Direct I would like to point out that a re-tested last night and got an average speed of 125mbps on the AP, is this more realistic? I believe I read somewhere that you don't get the same modem speed on the APs. is this correct?

When you said something is wrong with my install, I am not sure if you were talking about the entire posts or the speed issue only. Could you explain how the AP's WIFI is supposed to work? are they signal extenders or independent "modems"? Are they supposed to have the same SSID as the modem? broadcast on the same channel as the modem?

The last thing (probably already answered a million times) are you guys still registered as Time Warner? You come as "ISP Time Warner"
Thank you
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

1 recommendation

Aprel

said by ganjero:

Are they supposed to have the same SSID as the modem?

Yes. Moreover, your devices should seamlessly "jump" from the AP to the modem and vice-versa as each of the signals fluctuates as you move around your home.
said by ganjero:

broadcast on the same channel as the modem?

No. Different channels is what makes this possible.