All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

FTTN -->FTTH how to switch

For fun I looked at the Bell speeds in my neighborhood and I suddenly have up to 175mbps which I assume means FTTH is now available (my max before was 25mbps)

Currently I am at 15mbps which I would be fine with if it wasn't for my horrible upload speeds (1.2mbps max)

Is there a "easy" way to get them to switch over my connection or do I need to take one of the extreme speeds?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

You'll have to take a minimum 25/25 plan (in quebec) or 50/50 to be switched over to fiber. You could then downgrade your package to fibe 15 and remain on ftth.

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207 to Dunlop

to Dunlop
You need to check the bandwidth allocation per month as well. What do you have right now? And what is the current Fibe 15 offer? Do you use all of it right now? Once you change the account, you cannot get your old bandwidth (assuming it is more) back.
Dunlop

Dunlop to btech805

to btech805
Thank you for the info,I will see what I can negotiate

Concerning bandwidth,I have the unlimited addon. My kids live in YouTube and Netflix, add long as I can keep that Option I'm good

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

In that case you may be better with the lowest fibre optic plan where the up/down will the same and guaranteed.
btech805
Canada

btech805

I believe the lowest plan is 5 down, still 1 up in most cases.

That also wouldn't guarantee a move to fiber, but from what I've seen lately, any account change (increase or decrease) in brownfield areas is resulting in a move to the fiber plant.
Dunlop

2 edits

Dunlop

Just an update, I called in and was offered

15/15 with unlimited for $54.95 as the permanent rate (bundle deal with TV)

Which was actually cheaper than I was paying for the FTTN equivalent

He mentioned a promotion, I am not clear if it is a global one or because FTTH is new in my area

Never thought the day would come but it has been over a year now and I have not had any issues with Bell and have been happy with their service.

We had some BAD blood between us 10 years or so ago when I dropped all of their products lol.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

I just hoped they are really give you the fibre optics as opposed to try get more speed out of your DSL connection. You will know for sure when the tech comes.

Is the Bell lines above ground? If so, you should be able to see the fibre connections.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Yeah, i too am a little surprised you have noticed anyone working around your property to hook up the fiber. I am assuming it is above ground on pole or the OP would have definitely noticed his yard tore up.

dataiv
join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON

dataiv to Dunlop

to Dunlop
If everything is aerial in your neighbourhood, there should be these things up on the poles on your street along with the cable and phone lines. These are what the fibre drop from the house plugs into on the poles.
Dunlop

1 edit

Dunlop

I'll keep an eye open for the equipment, the install won't be for 2 weeks as I did not have time to wait on a tech this weekend.

On the phone he specifically said it was FTTH, would a 175mbps connection be possible otherwise? That is the max speed I get as being available to my address.

If it is not and they are maxing out the DSL is there a downside? I want this because of my horrible upload speeds but would rather not make everything else worse lol

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to dataiv

Premium Member

to dataiv
Click for full size
The one on the right is the fibre tap.
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by dataiv:

If everything is aerial in your neighbourhood, there should be these things up on the poles on your street along with the cable and phone lines. These are what the fibre drop from the house plugs into on the poles.

It'll look like this when it's strung up. Keep an eye out for the tags, too. Around here they're orange I assume they are elsewhere, too.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207 to Dunlop

to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

On the phone he specifically said it was FTTH, would a 175mbps connection be possible otherwise? That is the max speed I get as being available to my address.

If it is not and they are maxing out the DSL is there a downside? I want this because of my horrible upload speeds but would rather not make everything else worse lol

Once they run the fibre optics in, changing package is something they can do remotely (Confirmed by Direct Forum mods) soon after you order an upgrade/downgrade. It is just a profile change.

From what I know. Once you start hogging the upload speed, your ping will go way up. When ping runs close to 100 and climb beyond, everything you do online will get bog down.

Streaming devices (eg. TVPad) will consume uploads like crazy. In the old days I had the old high speed, the actual speed is like 7 down and 0.7 up. That is fine for even playing shooters online. One day someone give my father a TVPad, the up dropped to 0.3 when that thing is streaming. Ping went over 100+ and my online gaming went kaput! I later went to Fibe 15/1.77 (Fibe 15/10) and it was fine enough when the TVPad is on.

No problem now with Fibe 50/50 of course as we have that TVPad and a Roku 1. I don't see any degrade in ping and speed with both of those running. Even adding torrent / file downloads won't affect much in terms of performance.
Dunlop

1 edit

Dunlop to Gone

to Gone
Click for full size
Here is what I have on the pole, looks quite new but I haven't noticed Bell working in the neighborhood

Doesn't quite look like the previous pics

Edit: nvm found it on my neighbours..in my head there was one of these on each pole lol

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Dunlop:

Here is what I have on the pole, looks quite new but I haven't noticed Bell working in the neighborhood

Doesn't quite look like the previous pics

Edit: nvm found it on my neighbours..in my head there was one of these on each pole lol

In your picture, that terminal is for copper and there is fibre cable above the terminal in the pic.

garystory
@ssha.ca

garystory

Anon

Congrads on getting fiber to the home. In canada do they call it fibre or fiber?
Dunlop

Dunlop

I never noticed the spelling distinction lol. I am an anglophone but confuse a lot of spelling between the french and english varients.

On Bell's english site it is still written as fibre

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Dunlop:

I never noticed the spelling distinction lol. I am an anglophone but confuse a lot of spelling between the french and english varients.

On Bell's english site it is still written as fibre

»grammarist.com/spelling/ ··· r-fibre/

British English: Fibre
Canadian English: Fibre
American English: Fiber

duratec v
@ssha.ca

duratec v

Anon

Well thats funny. They call it fiberop in atlantic canada ay?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by duratec v :

Well thats funny. They call it fiberop in atlantic canada ay?

It's called FibreOp in the Bell Aliant areas, notice how it's still spelt Fibre.

See »www.bellaliant.net/fibreop

Hesteziel
join:2014-05-04
Terrebonne, QC

Hesteziel to Dunlop

to Dunlop
If in Qc, take the 50/50 with loyalty you can have it unlimited for 49.95 ongoing.
Dunlop

Dunlop

said by Hesteziel:

If in Qc, take the 50/50 with loyalty you can have it unlimited for 49.95 ongoing.

thanks for the heads up, I'll wait until my line is installed tomorrow and then give them a call
Dunlop

Dunlop

Tech is here right now to do the work, I wanted to do a before and after test but have baffling results on my DSL

I have always been 15.xx mbps down and have never hit more than 1.2mbps up

lol with these results I would not have looked for FTTH in the first place
Dunlop

Dunlop

success, I was not aware of all the extra hardware to install, I'm happy my cables terminate in a closet

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Dunlop:

success, I was not aware of all the extra hardware to install, I'm happy my cables terminate in a closet

Take some photos!
Dunlop

1 edit

Dunlop

said by Gone:

said by Dunlop:

Take some photos!

The 2 white boxes, sorry closet is hard to access to get a better pic

fyi you need a free electrical outlet, mine was full so I had to scramble to change the location of my other router lol

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That equipment looks a lot smaller than what I've seen in other photos.
Dunlop

Dunlop

sorry for the necro bump, I had my profile switched to 50/50 on the phone today but I still have my old speeds

Does anyone know if this is because the request needs to be processed or if it should have been instantaneous?

I seem to recall it was instant back when I was with videotron

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

It takes time for the order to be processed through the billing system and pushed to the auto activation system, what date does the transaction summary say that it the speed increase will be completed for?
btech805
Canada

btech805 to Dunlop

to Dunlop
Usually 24-48 hrs. You should have received a statement with your activation date.