spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gordonwd
join:2002-02-06
Rochester, MI

gordonwd

[Install] Equipment & connection options

Are there any sites or documents that show the various options for connecting up a Comcast installation with TV, Internet, & voice? I am considering switching to a "triple play" package but have some concerns about what a tech would want to do when he/she comes to install it, with some options basically being a deal-killer (I'm pretty fussy about holes being drilled through siding, etc.).

In the past, we were on DirecTV and later DISH, which required no additional in-house cabling other than bringing in the satellite cable from outside, which I did myself since we got DirecTV in the early days when that was the only option. Our house was built without any TV or network cabling. At the same time, we had Comcast and later WOW for Internet and phone, so there still is a cable leading from the utility junction on the o/s of the house up to the attic and then into a 2nd-floor closet where the cable modem was located, and from there I installed CAT-5 wiring to the home office where our PCs, WiFi router, etc. are located. All that is still there, but currently unused.

A couple years ago we switched to AT&T Uverse for all services. For this, they ran a cable from the utility box to the 1st-floor room on the other end of the house where our main TV and DVR are located. All other equipment, such as for the phone and Internet, just run through pre-existing phone wiring (the AT&T-provided WiFi router just plugs into a phone jack in the upstairs office, which was very convenient).

Overall the performance of Uverse has been "just OK", but the best feature for us is that we could connect the upstairs TV using a wireless (WiFi) adapter box. And this is my biggest concern with going to Comcast. We really like being able to watch cable channels and replay from the DVR from there, but it is on an inside wall with no broadband cabling anywhere close by. How would Comcast get a cable to that TV? We've also recently added insulation in the attic, so even if they could route a cable into the attic, they'd have to tromp around up there in three feet of loose insulation to drop it through the wall, which we just really couldn't allow.

So is there any hope for being able to install this configuration? Any plans for Comcast to offer Wifi converter boxes?
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Possible but i have to think unlikely. You would have to allow something. Internet and phone probably wouldnt be a issue but im guessing the tv end is a deal breaker without allowing something. Only way to know for sure is schedule and see.
hokie21
join:2003-06-14
Lake Zurich, IL

hokie21 to gordonwd

to gordonwd
I don't see why working in the attic is such an issue. They will put the insulation back when they are done.

scjohnson
join:2010-07-21
Chicago, IL

scjohnson to gordonwd

to gordonwd
The AnyRoom DVR communicates over coax. If you want TV in a room without a coax run, you're going to need to run some cable.
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79 to hokie21

Premium Member

to hokie21
said by hokie21:

I don't see why working in the attic is such an issue. They will put the insulation back when they are done.

I didn't understand that either (but I don't have loose insulation floating around "up there").

FWIW - it's a relatively easy/tidy matter dropping a coaxial cable down a conventional interior wall (we've done it before - or - more correctly - we had a good electrician do it for us). And the OP will need them to make TV connections. Robyn