IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Electrical] Any better apps for Hue Lux bulbs

Picked up a Philips Hue Lux starter kit (plain white, not the multicolored) at Home Depot today, and I'd like to know if there are any better apps for controlling the bulbs. I use the setup in my bedroom as I like being able to dim the lights and it dims enough to be a great nightlight but I don't like the fact you cannot group the bulbs (such as by room, saw that in the FAQ on the Philips website). I'd like to put a hue lux bulb in the garage so I can turn it on from the overhead door end (switch is on the entry door end at the back of the garage).

Otherwise it's a great setup, the native hue app isn't the greatest but it's a work in progress. Hue is great for controlling in the home (no login required on Wi-Fi) and Insteon is good everywhere.
KirkyInCT
join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT

KirkyInCT

You can add them to a few scenes, then use a Hue Tab to switch scenes... I've had no problems with the Tap.

I have about 10 different Hue bulbs and while they are great, I too would like a little more control. The API can do a lot, but I haven't seen an app I like. Goldee had promise, but I bet it would have been pretty cost prohibitive.