uniqs

kfsutops
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Lutz, FL

kfsutops

Premium Member

[Other] One Drive-Local

So I am not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question because it basically involves a Mac. But the issue/question may apply to windows.

I downloaded one drive for my new Mac the other day. I go to install OneDrive and noticed that all of my files started downloading to the Mac. Is this normal? Is this a Windows thing or a Mac thing?

I didn't seem to think that the OneDrive on Windows machine takes up local harddrive space. Maybe it does and I just didn't realize.

I guess the overall question is that if this is the case what do people do when the local harddrive has less available space than the stuff in the OneDrive folder. How does a 1TB One Drive sync with a 256SSD?

I am pretty computer literate. But for some reason I am having a hard time understanding.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

I think that the default setting for OneDrive is to cache a copy of files locally, so that you can work on them while NOT connected to the internet. The next time you connect to the net, OneDrive will update the cloud copy from your local copy. There is a setting that lets you change this behavior.

You can find some info about it here: »answers.microsoft.com/en ··· eaf93dd4 though the process is probably slightly different on a Mac.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky to kfsutops

Premium Member

to kfsutops
You can tell it not to sync specific folders if you want. So if you have a particularly large folder, tell it not to sync it and it won't store it on your machine (only in the cloud).

kfsutops
Premium Member
Lutz, FL

kfsutops

Premium Member

I will have to look around for that option for the Mac version. I looked before and couldn't find an option like that. But I may not have looked everywhere.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

Click on the OneDrive icon in the status menu, select 'Preferences' and under the 'Chose Folders' tab you can select what gets synced.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to kfsutops

Premium Member

to kfsutops

kfsutops
Premium Member
Lutz, FL

kfsutops

Premium Member

OK. So I redownloaded and went through the preferences. When I go to preferences and select that I don't want a folder to sync it goes away.

I don't think this is the same thing that happens on my PC.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Let me guess, you have Windows 8 on your PC.