Search similar:

uniqs
jediknight
join:2013-07-08
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

jediknight

[Cable] Manually updating Modem Firmware

So I need a firmware upgrade to my Motorola modem to hopefully clear up my issue with speed.

Tek Savvy says they can't help.

Arris (Motorola) states that provisioning firmware is the ISP's responsibility and Rogers hasn't updated my modem in the 3 years it has been connected.

I have read so many threads on here that my eyes are crossed and I cannot find out how to first get the file and second to load it. I am confident that I can load the modem if I can just find the new firmware (since I have access to many tools @ work).

I have Googled this topic for hours with no result. How can it be that no one has figured this out yet and posted it?

If anyone can tell me how to update the Surfboard Modem model number SB6141 please PM me!!

My only option at this point is to purchase another modem. I am having a hard time swallowing that pill since I know there is nothing wrong with the hardware I've got. I mean I update software/ firmware all the time at work. It's just not that difficult of thing is it?

Please forgive my rant and maybe this has been posted on here before and I just haven't found it yet, there's just so many threads to read.

Cheers,

jediknight

(mod edit: changed group from DSL to cable to avoid confusion)

TSI Alan
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Alan

Premium Member

Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to jediknight

Premium Member

to jediknight

Re: [DSL] Manually updating Modem Firmware

Teksavvy may not be able to help, but they should at least be able to tell you that firmware versions a to x or somewhere in between are acceptable for use on the network. I would only be concerned about updating the modem if I were outside of the acceptable range. Have you looked at any other issues for speed, including cable signal levels, ethernet cable issues, etc, etc.
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred to jediknight

to jediknight
There are a few people on the board that do cable modem firmware updates, Teddy Bloom is in Toronto, I forget who does it in Ottawa.

Having DSL in your thread title isn't going to help.

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

pulp46 to jediknight

Premium Member

to jediknight

Re: [Cable] Manually updating Modem Firmware

mlord and Pir8pete for Ottawa.

::Firmware Upgrade Team::
mlord See Profile (Ottawa) - DCM475 & DCM476
Pir8pete See Profile (Ottawa) - SB5101, SB6120, SB6121 & SB6141
Teddy Boom See Profile (GTA) - SB5101, DCM425, DCM475, DCM476, SB6120 & SB6121
zinc See Profile (Waterloo/Kitchener) - DCM475 & DCM476

»just an update to the description and links;
jediknight
Ottawa, ON

jediknight to notfred

to notfred

I don't know how DSL got in there. I didn't add it.
jediknight

jediknight to TSI Alan

to TSI Alan
Hi did you change the header to state DSL? I had chosen Cable? Just curious.

Thanks
jediknight

jediknight to Datalink

to Datalink
Yes I was on the phone for 2 hours the other night with Tek Savvy Tech support trying to diagnose the issue. At the end it was determined that the modem firmware was the culprit. The physical connections haven't changed in years since first set-up and during troubleshoot I was directly to the PC.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated as I am trying multiple things to avoid purchasing another modem.

Thanks
jediknight

jediknight to pulp46

to pulp46

Thanks!

I did contact both mload & Pir8pete.

I have heard back from mlord and he confirmed he does not do Motorola.

I haven't heard back yet from Pir8pete but was concerned as I had seen his post but was dated some time ago and the links in it are dead. Is he still an active member here? If yes then I just have to wait for him to check his "mail".

Again thanks everyone. I do appreciate your comments.

I find it funny how we as a society can hack Sony, the Marine's Twitter account and the like but something as simple a firmware on a modem eludes the masses.

Cheers
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to jediknight

to jediknight

Having to purchase a new modem due to the cableco refusing to push updates (assuming they have them, which they probably do for the approved firmware versions) is pretty silly but for now, that is the only official fix.

The next best thing to sending modems to people with JTAG cable to have them pop the lid and apply firmware updates that way would be TSI buying a CMTS with the extra bits of hardware necessary to plug modems in and have them update the normal DOCSIS way during provisioning.
InvalidError

InvalidError to jediknight

to jediknight

said by jediknight:

I find it funny how we as a society can hack Sony, the Marine's Twitter account and the like but something as simple a firmware on a modem eludes the masses.

Hacking Sony and others eludes the masses too - most people have no idea how to do it either.

Firmware updates on cable modems are complicated because cable is a shared media; the cable company needs to be able to have total control over the modem's cable-side behavior and that means total control over firmware. I'm not sure cable modems even have the ability to accept user-supplied firmware updates even in their fully unlocked state.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to jediknight

to jediknight
pir8pete is still active, i'm sure he'll get back to you shortly.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to jediknight

Premium Member

to jediknight
Im going to come to Rogers defense on this one....Im going to say that they themselves never had clients with an SB6141 on the Rogers network so they never acquired firmware for that model of modem....

So as a result thats why it was never updated...even though at one point Rogers may have allowed the modem to be provisioned.

Its a catch 22...

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to jediknight

Premium Member

to jediknight
So, SB6141? What firmware?

Maybe it doesn't matter too much, it seems that most common firmwares that predate the supported one are trouble. Like, 1.0.6.4 I think comes on a lot of SB6141, and if I remember right, you won't bond all channels properly on it.

I was talking the other day with somebody in Ottawa who said that Pir8pete isn't doing upgrades any more. Not sure what's up with that, but now that this is posted I'm sure he'll let us know

I really hate doing it with return shipping. It costs too much for the customer, and it is a big hassle for me. That said.. For $30 I'll email you a Purolator shipping label. You send it to me on a Tuesday, I get it Wednesday, update and ship on the same day, and you are back online sometime Thursday (with Friday as a buffer).

Unlike the DCM475/6, there is no DIY method for the SB6141. The DIY method isn't that easy anyway..
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

they themselves never had clients with an SB6141 on the Rogers network so they never acquired firmware for that model of modem....

It is the same firmware used on the SB6120 and SB6121. They pushed updates three different times to SB6120, and once to SB6121. They have ALL of the firmwares, and extensive experience in how to do it. Hell, when they did the update to 1.0.6.12 it was probably slightly harder for them to omit the SB6141 than to just update everything.

Just one more example of Rogers being a rules lawyer about TPIA service, instead of getting down to business and doing their job.
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to jediknight

Premium Member

to jediknight
The way I program all cable modems is by clipping directly to the SPI flash and programming it while the rest of the modem is powered down. The long thread about DCM475 flashing shows most of mlord's development process. This sub-link from the thread takes you to a lot of it:
»Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

Personally, I just use a USBJTAG NT:
»www.usbjtag.com/wordpress/

The DIY method for the DCM475/6 uses serial port and TFTP. That was developed after mlord put together his rig. Lots of details about it in that same thread:
»Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

Or in this one:
»Upgrade your own firmware - DCM475

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by nitzguy:

they themselves never had clients with an SB6141 on the Rogers network so they never acquired firmware for that model of modem....

It is the same firmware used on the SB6120 and SB6121. They pushed updates three different times to SB6120, and once to SB6121. They have ALL of the firmwares, and extensive experience in how to do it. Hell, when they did the update to 1.0.6.12 it was probably slightly harder for them to omit the SB6141 than to just update everything.

Just one more example of Rogers being a rules lawyer about TPIA service, instead of getting down to business and doing their job.

Except one small caveat....even if the firmware was the same, the modem itself reports the model to the CMTS when it connects.
if they reported it 10 years ago id assume today is the same case...

Model detected is not a 6120 or a
6121 so....update gets missed.

So its not a matter of Rogers going out of their way vs. a mmod theu never had in their stable of modems....

I feel like the modem itself is probably fine but my issue is with TSI hiding behind this issue saying the firmware is off...but then I put it back on them ...because they allowed it to be provisioned in the first place and should not have allowed it to happen...

But from the CMTS side, the batch job missed this modem because even though people faked the 6141 to be a 6121 or 6120, it knows what model is actually connected and that process plays itself out through the conection process...

I feel for the OP though but I feel as though that even if you flash the firmware that issue may not go away.

TSI TNC
TSI TNC
Premium Member
join:2012-10-23
Chatham, ON

TSI TNC

Premium Member

Before vendors flatly started refusing to do anything when a modems firmware was out of date, our experience was that on some CMTSs that had their firmware updated it then created other issues like intermittent signal problems, packet loss etc. with modems with older firmware. The modem firmware is often updated with CMTS updates due to these additional bug that crop up.

Unfortunately they are also demanding that all new modems be DOCSIS 3.0. to ease node congestion issues instead of splitting node to serve fewer people. So even if we could convince or force vendors to do the updates, many people would have other issues eventually.

I can assure you we aren't happy with this situation either. We do offer a discount on another modem for customers in these situations. It might not seem like much but we don't make much on modems in the first place.
TSI TNC

TSI TNC to jediknight

Premium Member

to jediknight
jediknight,

I see you've been a loyal customer for a few years now. If you run into any complications with your update, please reach out to us in the direct forum and we'll see what we can do for you.

I seem to remember an issue with the SB61XX Motorola and channel bonding, but others could probably advise if it was a firmware or hardware issue. This may have some bearing on speed issues.

Chris S.
jediknight
Ottawa, ON

jediknight

Thanks for the offer. We'll see how it goes next week.
What is the offer you've mentioned concerning a discounted modem should I wish to pursue this option. Please IM me.

Cheers

TSI TNC
TSI TNC
Premium Member
join:2012-10-23
Chatham, ON

TSI TNC

Premium Member

IM sent

Chris S.