dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JMANTN
join:2014-08-07

JMANTN

[HSI] How do some get 100Mbps down and others get 60 for same price?

I've seen where some customers in ST Louis I believe get 100Mbps down for 59.99 and others get 60Mbps for same price.

I'm currently getting 60Mbps in NE TN and my bill also went from 54.99 to 55.99 for no apparent reason.

Can we get 100Mbps down if we ask or mention other areas receive it for no extra charge?
Expand your moderator at work
ve52001
join:2004-05-11
Duncanville, TX

1 edit

ve52001 to JMANTN

to JMANTN

Re: [HSI] How do some get 100Mbps down and others get 60 for same price?

That is the thing about Charter I don't like. They come up with standardized pricing but not standardize their systems first. Like me, in my area Ft. Worth gets over 200HD channels, we might have 50 and not to mention a lot more standard channels also and at the same price. It is also the same price here for 15 Meg down and they get 60 down.
Expand your moderator at work

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando to JMANTN

Premium Member

to JMANTN

Re: [HSI] How do some get 100Mbps down and others get 60 for same price?

said by JMANTN:

Can we get 100Mbps down if we ask or mention other areas receive it for no extra charge?

Probably not, the reality is that while you may have "Charter", "Comcast", or "TWC", ect. Is that every locality really has it's own franchise with different rules, infrastructure, pricing.
JMANTN

1 edit

JMANTN

While that's certainly true and not just for HSI, charter just updated their networks so the underlying infrastructure was more or less unified across their markets.

If u recall a few years ago charter had a partnership with TiVo that stalled due to the fact charter had different tech in several markets and made a rollout of DVR's using one tech impossible to use at the time with charter.

My understanding is that's no longer the case or at least to a much lesser degree.

Also my question pertains to other charter customers and not Comcast or Google fiber or TWC or anyone else as there is natuatrly a disconnect between companies but a disconnect with the same company isn't good service.

Edit: I misread your last part. That's probably the case but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around
cqarlo932
join:2010-07-06

cqarlo932 to ve52001

to ve52001
said by ve52001:

That is the thing about Charter I don't like. They come up with standardized pricing but not standardize their systems first. Like me, in my area Ft. Worth gets over 200HD channels, we might have 50 and not to mention a lot more standard channels also and at the same price. It is also the same price here for 15 Meg down and they get 60 down.

We get 430kbs down and 245kbs up on our good days and Charter calls this HSI service for only $54.99 a month. Charter tells us our speed is faster then Comcast or TWC in other parts of our state. No updates coming in the furture or needed as they are the only game in town.
political_i
join:2013-11-12

political_i

Can you get the stats off the modem? You might have line issues.
JMANTN

JMANTN

Well I contacted charter today and they said that they were aware St. Louis was getting faster speeds and said his guess was that it was a trial and in one to two years they may bump everyone up to 100Mbps and said nothing could be done to change my speeds unless I paid more.

I asked why would everyone ONLY be getting bumped up to 100Mbps when DOCSIS 3.1 should be rolling out in one to two years and he was lost..

In short with 3.1 everyone should see major changes whenever charter rolls that out. I doubt St. Louis is a test unless they're moving everyone to 100 THIS year and bumping Ultra up this year. To move everyone to 100 (and not any higher) in a few years when 3.1 is out would be crazy since that would allow near gigabit speeds over coax.

Also I googled charter spectrum and one of the websites I pulled up a few days ago was promoting 100mbps and it wasn't for ultra I don't believe but part of the page was cut off on my iPad (charter's spectrum site isn't optimized for mobile or at least iPad's). Again it was one of the sliding promos on that screen but it may have changed by now as I mentioned it and he stood by he could do nothing speech.

Just passing along what I found out.
Kamika_Z
join:2002-01-13
The Dalles, OR

Kamika_Z

Charter has long used St. Louis as a test market. The rep is correct - what St. Louis gets is what usually gets rolled out to everyone later.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to JMANTN

Premium Member

to JMANTN
And not all areas can handle 100 anyway. Just look at the posts here about congestion during peak hours or not even able to get a steady 60.

St Louis has always been one of Charters test markets. All providers have areas where they test.
JMANTN

JMANTN

While that makes sense still kinda stinks to get same speed I'd have to almost double my price per month.

There is a headend in my city which I figured could expedite the process but then again we were one of the last markets to get Spectrum.

Also some of the issues Charter is experiencing isn't necessarily related to speeds they offer IMO but due to either out of date Modem's (I was still on a 1x1 for a year before I even knew about 4x4 modems) and issues with equipment on charter's end.

I could be wrong but just think a speed increase alone isn't causing the issues most are seeing but rather due to the switching equipment out and issues relating to that.

I myself recently experienced an issue where I had a faulty modem however the modem was reporting as fine to the call center and to the techs but they switched out my modem and I've been ruining good ever since.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to JMANTN

to JMANTN
Well if you watch TV all the Charter ads claim it is only 29.99 for internet. You can even get it on a boat.
cqarlo932

cqarlo932 to Kamika_Z

to Kamika_Z
said by Kamika_Z:

Charter has long used St. Louis as a test market. The rep is correct - what St. Louis gets is what usually gets rolled out to everyone later.

I called Charter recently(call center in St. Louis)they said,not all their markets will be upgrated to 60/4 (standard) even thought it's called Spectrum. They have invested more money in infrastructure than any cable company.They have more fiber then Verizon or Sprint.They said their prices for HSI is the lowest for any major cable company. Note: I hope this gets through, my speed is slower than dialup.

AnonDude
@charter.com

AnonDude

Anon

said by cqarlo932:

They said their prices for HSI is the lowest for any major cable company. Note: I hope this gets through, my speed is slower than dialup.

They are and those that will be switched to Comcast are in for a shock if you don't believe that.

JimE
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

JimE to cqarlo932

Premium Member

to cqarlo932
said by
We get 430kbs down and 245kbs up on our good days and Charter calls this HSI service for only $54.99 a month. Charter tells us our speed is faster then Comcast or TWC in other parts of our state. No updates coming in the furture or needed as they are the only game in town.
[/bquote :

Your speeds should be roughly equivalent to whatever package you using. If not, you need to report it until it's fixed or you can get a valid explanation.

JMANTN

JMANTN to cqarlo932

to cqarlo932
That's just kind of funny to hear that as there's local municipalities in neighboring cities offering fiber to the house for cheaper monthly rates then charter.

I'm not blind to the fact that when comparing to Comcast or Sprint that charter is actually a good deal but when u live in an area where just outside of your city there's fiber to the door for less it sucks. We have a franchise in my city and not sure when if ever that will change but it's crazy when the state can offer faster internet for less than what a corporation can offer it for

Red Hazard
Premium Member
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard to JMANTN

Premium Member

to JMANTN
Well my 100 Mbps service recently increased from 54.99 to 59.99 and your 60 Mbps service only increased by a buck.

AnonDude
@charter.com

AnonDude

Anon

said by Red Hazard:

Well my 100 Mbps service recently increased from 54.99 to 59.99 and your 60 Mbps service only increased by a buck.

You do realize $60 for 100 Meg is good. Compare that t what Comcast offers or U-Verse offers for that price.
JMANTN

JMANTN to Red Hazard

to Red Hazard
No my bill is 59.99 as of Jan 1st. I NEVER said it increased a dollar. Been a charter Internet customer for 13 years for cable internet.

That's my frustration. 100Mbps is same price I'm paying for 60.

Technically longer then that when I lived at home with parents and I paid Internet bill.
Scrapple
join:2015-01-30

Scrapple to JMANTN

to JMANTN
I just had Charter Xfinity installed, advertised as "up to 60 Mbps down" for $40. While the install tech was still here, I went to speedtest.earthlinkbusiness.com and my new connection tested at 75 Mbps. The tech commented something to the effect, "George likes to give a little extra." In fact, he called the guy's name twice, which gave me to believe 'George' was a real guy. Dunno if George is the guy who configures the modem or if he was the guy tweaking the dials back at the control room, but I gather my actual throughput was somewhat at his discretion.

A week ago, I was paying $40 for 1.5 Mbps down (0.35 up) with old school DSL. Paying the same dollars for 75 Mbps down (5 Mbps up) makes me feel like a felon on the run.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Charter is not launching 100mbps in your area because there might be a couple of reasons one you infrastructure don't support it.

BTW there is no suck thing as Charter Xfinity. Xfinity brand is Comcast residential brand. Charter residential is not Xfinity it's Spectrum.

JimE
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

JimE to JMANTN

Premium Member

to JMANTN
said by JMANTN:

So you think I should be paying Charter to test their infrastructure?

It's a TEST area. All companies do this kind of testing. I used to be enrolled in a program where I was sent free items to use/test and then do surveys to provide feedback. I didn't pay for that stuff either.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by JimE:

said by JMANTN:

So you think I should be paying Charter to test their infrastructure?

It's a TEST area. All companies do this kind of testing. I used to be enrolled in a program where I was sent free items to use/test and then do surveys to provide feedback. I didn't pay for that stuff either.

I have comcrast and I have there 105mbs connection and most of the time it is not faster than the 50mbs connection I had before I upgraded, even if 100mbs was available in your area you would probably not even get to 100mbs because the nfrastructure can't support it.

Does anybody know whether St. Louis has 16 downstream channels?
audiolocator
join:2001-11-30
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator

said by maxbrando:

Does anybody know whether St. Louis has 16 downstream channels?

It does.
skburger
join:2006-05-29
Belleville, IL

skburger to JMANTN

to JMANTN
Metro East St. Louis (Belleville, IL) also has 16 channel download. With an owned Motorola SB6183 modem and an Ultra plan I have a consistent 135Mbps download stream and a 5.3Mbps upload.
audiolocator
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator

said by skburger:

Metro East St. Louis (Belleville, IL) also has 16 channel download. With an owned Motorola SB6183 modem and an Ultra plan I have a consistent 135Mbps download stream and a 5.3Mbps upload.

Yes, I top out at 140.0 Mbps. Very patiently waiting for that 200 or 300 Mbps upgrade
gbondy
join:2002-11-22
Edwardsville, IL

gbondy

Same here. Anybody hear anything about the upgrade? Strongly considering downgrading back to 100/4 for $59.99 vs. ~130/5 for $118.99. :|
cqarlo932

cqarlo932 to audiolocator

to audiolocator
said by audiolocator:

said by skburger:

Yes, I top out at 140.0 Mbps. Very patiently waiting for that 200 or 300 Mbps upgrade

I'm getting a whopping speed of 452kbs down and 236kbs up, can't beat that for HSI and for only $54.99 a month. Charter says that's the fastest in my state. Beats the hell out Comcast and Centurylink. Can't ask for anything more.
audiolocator
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator

said by cqarlo932:

said by audiolocator:

said by skburger:

I'm getting a whopping speed of 452kbs down and 236kbs up, can't beat that for HSI and for only $54.99 a month. Charter says that's the fastest in my state. Beats the hell out Comcast and Centurylink. Can't ask for anything more.

You need to setup a service call and have a tech come out.