spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RhinoCan
join:2013-12-20
h0H 0HO

RhinoCan

[TekTalk] Setup Questions

I just got the TekTalk service from TekSavvy; I already have their cable Internet service. I have some setup questions.

1. Is there any point in obtaining a PIN if I have the TekTalk Basic service? The setup instructions say that I'm supposed to dial *98 and set up my voice mail and create a PIN so that I can listen to my messages via a browser but the instructions also say that TekTalk Basic service, which is what I have, does not include voice mail. Is the TekTalk Portal used for anything besides listening to voice mail? If not, I assume there's no point in setting a PIN.

2. I'm curious to know what internal settings were set on my phone adapter. (I bought it from TekSavvy and they apparently put all the appropriate settings in the unit before they sent it to me.) I don't expect to understand many of them but I'd like to look at them to get some sense of the kinds of things the adapter needs to store. Does anyone know the IP address I need to use to see those settings? I won't change anything; I expect that would just mess up my service and waste a lot of my time and TekSavvy's.

3. I see that there are two phone jacks (RJ-11) on the phone adapter. I want to plug in a phone and an answering machine. Should I put the phone in one of the jacks and the answering machine in the other? Or should I daisy-chain the phone and answering machine together as I would with a landline and use just a single jack? I see no instructions on this matter in the papers that came with the phone adapter.

TSI JonD
Premium Member
join:2013-07-29
Chatham, ON

TSI JonD

Premium Member

Hello RhinoCan,

Thanks so much for your post!

I'm glad to hear that you've obtained our TekTalk VoIP service and I'd be glad to help you with these questions. I'll just answer them in order of appearance.

1. As you mention, with the basic plan you do not have access to voicemail. In addition to this, the TekTalk online portal is only available to the Premium and Unlimited packages. Because you don't have access to voicemail by dialing or via the portal, there is no need for a pin.

2. Since you've just obtained this service and you purchased your ATA from us, I assume that it's a Grandstream HT502. To access the web interface for this ATA you would go to »192.168.2.1. The password to access it is 123.

3. Only one of these jacks are activated. The second jack is intended for a second subscription. I would need to suggest if you'd like a answering machine to be connected that you either use a phone with an answering machine built in or by daisy chaining as you mentioned.

If you have any other questions for us, please be sure to post in our direct forum!

Best regards,
Jon
RhinoCan
join:2013-12-20
h0H 0HO

RhinoCan

Perfect! You've answered all of these questions to my satisfaction. Thank you!
notfred
join:2012-09-15

notfred to RhinoCan

to RhinoCan
You are very limited on what you can see on the ATA when you buy it from TekSavvy. You can only see the Basic Settings screen. The actual phone line settings are on the FXS Port 1 screen and Teksavvy provides a list of what they should be if you have bought your ATA elsewhere
»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en- ··· guration