uniqs

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Re: Rude TWC tech

My plan is for right now to keep TWC and try Fios. If \Comcast merges with TWC. I would caned with TWC
Vitality9
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

Vitality9

Premium Member

Please stop complaining about TWC then; you just said you'll keep TWC. So deal with it now.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
One example how Verizon is expensive and a reason I will use Verizon as a second internet connection. If they could negotiate the bill lower it would be fine. They gave me a estimate.
Vitality9
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

Vitality9

Premium Member

You're probably getting things you don't NEED. Just luxuries you want.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Not necessary true. I watch TVB for the Hong Kong morning news. TWC includes TVB 1 in my area for free. It's channel 99. DVR service. If I go with a lower plan I don't get DIY. I regularly watch DIY for home improvement project. It is the thing I regularly need.

BTW Please stop assuming what a customer want and don't. Half of the time you predict wrong.

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX

iRob

My god....that price...that 300/300 connection sure is pricey. I could never afford that monthly...

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Me too. Verizon stop sitting your ass and start being competitive. I will have a 75/75 connect with Verizon as a back up. Verizon I am not made of cash and I don't unlimited amount of money. I would love to have it. But that isn't how the society works.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Vitality9

Premium Member

to Vitality9
said by Vitality9:

You know at the end of the day no one NEEDS TV or actually internet, they are all luxuries that we can pick and choose from.

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC

Premium Member

I need the internet. The internet has became an essential. TV I can have it or not have it. But the TV is for entertainment purposes. At the end of the day the internet has been a essentials for our daily lives. It is how to find better jobs online and communicate with others. The sad part is isp is charging an arm and a leg for service for our essential lives.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

I need the internet. The internet has became an essential. TV I can have it or not have it. But the TV is for entertainment purposes. At the end of the day the internet has been a essentials for our daily lives. It is how to find better jobs online and communicate with others. The sad part is isp is charging an arm and a leg for service for our essential lives.

There are many ways to access the internet without subscribing to two high speed services, one as a back up. Strangely people do manage to survive without internet access.

Hob

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
Communicating with friends, family, and possible new employers online doesn't require a 300/20, 200/20, or 75/75 connection speed. That could be easily done on the lowest speed tiers, over the phone, or in person. So what's your excuse for such high speed requirements? Is that really worth the money to you?

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by Vitality9:

You know at the end of the day no one NEEDS TV or actually internet, they are all luxuries that we can pick and choose from.

Hob

The TV part I agree with, Internet though many people do need it in order to make a living. Making money for many people is a need to get the other needs like food, water and a roof over head.

If you want to say a person can pitch a tent and live out in the wild eating bugs all day while drinking from random streams and rivers fine. They don't need the internet at all, good on them. They can home school the kids if they have them and all is fine with the world.

I know many old people don't do the internet and many middle aged folks don't really do internet as well. But to say no one needs the internet is over reaching to say the lest.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
It does if you have multiple users downloading games from steam and etc.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

So more entertainment uses when they aren't working to help pay for it.... In other words, not a need but a desire, an extravagance.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

download and uploading work files.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

download and uploading work files.

Where seconds matter? It can't wait an hour or two?

Jobs that have such unusual requirements tend to pay for them.

Either way the number of jobs that require a home internet connection is small. The number that require a higher speed internet connection (say above 10/1) is minuscule. This is really a first world problem.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss
said by why60loss:

But to say no one needs the internet is over reaching to say the lest.

I did not actually say no one needs the internet, I said people can survive without it and those that I know are not eating bugs or drinking out of rivers.

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
Sorry to be off topic Really you are saying that I don't need it. I work from home as a general manger of WECTV and sometimes I get a call when ever my boss need me come over here. My daily job is to upload ads because Diamond Honda wants to advertise on our channels through a antenna. When when my boss said he needs that file he means it. So here is a reason why the internet is a essential. Later there are more jobs that are similar to what I have to work for. These jobs are possible with the internet.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

I am not sure that I understand totally but it does sound that possibly WECTV should be hooking you up with some sort of business connection to do that sort of essential stuff.

Or of course many companies pay essential employees enough that an internet connection would be a gimme.

Hob

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

1 edit

1 recommendation

DocDrew to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
I hope you can write off your internet costs on your taxes...

...and I really wonder what you did a year ago, before any ISP local to you was offering 200/20, 300/20, or 75/75 even.

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

said by OpTiC :

There are many ways to access the internet without subscribing to two high speed services, one as a back up. Strangely people do manage to survive without internet access.

Hob

For the most part that is what I did until the last year or two. Not because of a lack of money nor a lack of an ISP just a big lack in uptime combined with a lack of overall service.

I survived with out much internet use, the few times I did use it was to complain about stuff that required it for a stupid reason. Or for things that had really poor offline function against what they led customers to believe.

I won't beat that dead horse though so I agree the OP needs to just make a choice on this and be done. Customer connections aren't perfect and no one needs 50+ mbs.

Steam games isn't a need, heck I feel like EA, valve and the others should quit with such huge patches that don't need to be in the 20GB area to update a 40GB app. That is just stupid when the amount of changed code is likely less than 100mb.

"You know at the end of the day no one NEEDS TV or actually internet"

You did in fact say no one needs internet at the end of that line, but I under stand your point and I pointed out there are people like my in law who is retired from high level management of a TV news station. He even was given the choice to be a CEO of a very high profile TV news station but turned it down. So yes I know there are tons of well off people without internet.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by why60loss:

You did in fact say no one needs internet at the end of that line,

Good spot, I did.

I think what I was trying to say is that you can survive without the net at home. If you require internet to do your job from home clearly the company that is paying you has included that in your compensation. If you require casual access to look for jobs their are many alternatives, I agree its inconvenient but that's life.
said by why60loss:

I won't beat that dead horse though

good to hear that!

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
I worked for the same company for over 10 years. WECTV is a Asian broadcast company. Before the internet it wasn't possible to have jobs like this.
OpTiC

OpTiC to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
So please TWC stop sitting your ass and start fixing services in my area.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

said by OpTiC :

So please TWC stop sitting your ass and start fixing services in my area.

Or better yet. Switch to Verizon Fios and stop complaining.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC

Premium Member

I have to pay $371 for the same services. How do you think i can afford that? If they could at least lower that by $180 I would switch.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to OpTiC

MVM,

to OpTiC
It seems like your TWC speeds during the "slowdown" periods are still faster than 75Mbps, so what's the point of the backup connection? Upload speeds?

why60loss
Premium Member

why60loss to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

I have to pay $371 for the same services. How do you think i can afford that? If they could at least lower that by $180 I would switch.

It sounds like you mostly need the upload speed for work, why not just stick with the 75/75 plan on FIOS and dump the 200/20 Time warner cable plan that you aren't happy with in the first place.

If you don't have the money cut backs need to be made, it's just life. Or if the job pay doesn't cover what you need, then ask them to pay for the internet bill.

There are far worse things that could happen than not getting the full 200mbs on a home internet plan. If you had AOL then you would know there are far worse things an ISP can do than not giving full speed at all times on a 200mbs plan.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

I need the internet. The internet has became an essential.

I agree. But not essential to the point I wouldn't be able to live without it for a day or two if push comes to shove and it breaks. It's certainly not worth that kind of money for a backup line. If I was going to invest in a backup line, I would take the very cheapest plan available (in my case it is a 3 Mbps U-Verse line if I wanted to have a backup), but to me it just isn't worth it.

If the internet is down, it is down. I'll find something else to do, and if needed I will just turn my phone into a hotspot and up my data allowance for the month just to do the basic internet surfing.

If you no longer know how to live without the internet, you have been disconnected from the world too long.
maartena

maartena to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

And if it breaks, no one in your family has the mental capability to say... okay, so we'll do something else until it is fixed?

I mean it is your money, I shouldn't judge about using the internet every day, because I do as well.... but isn't it a complete waste of money to pay for TWO internet lines?