spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aritek
join:2011-10-16
Toronto, ON

aritek

Fiber / Internet / horrible latency

Hi - wondering if anybody is experiencing latency problems today.

I have internet over fiber (35Mbps) and today streaming is horrible, just found out that this is due to extremely high latency.

-- google.ca ping statistics ---
119 packets transmitted, 119 received, 0% packet loss, time 120580ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 53.352/994.444/3579.889/718.588 ms, pipe 4

I am not seing packet loss but test pings to google.ca can take up to two seconds (!!!). This has been going on for hours.

This is downtown toronto. This is not the first weekend I observe this and wondering whether to keep this service or move on to bell's fiber (both rogers and bell fibers reach my condo unit)

Anybody else experiencing horrible latency today or recently?
aritek

aritek

power cycled the modem. Cisco 3825. Bridged mode with wireless disabled.

Things are kind of normal now.

33 packets transmitted, 33 received, 0% packet loss, time 32046ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.669/11.054/32.617/4.343 ms

Should I upgrade firmware on this thing?
phoneman
join:2014-07-13

1 edit

phoneman to aritek

to aritek
Those pings look awful.

Are you using a router? If so which one, what firmware and are you connecting on wireless or wired.

Can you go to 192.168.100.1, login in with "cusadmin" and "password" and post the status page with the signal strengths. It doesn't seem you are on actual fibre but RFoG.

You cannot upgrade the firmware on cable modems. Only Rogers can and they do it automatically.

Also, What DNS settings are you using on your router? If you are not using the Rogers ones, try using them. The DNS you are using may be giving you a weird ip for Google but then again, the pings shouldn't be nearly that high.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to aritek

Premium Member

to aritek
What fiber? if you're using a DPC 3825 it's not fiber, its just regular cable internet...

But kudos to Rogers for successfully fooling people with their "Hybrid Fiber" BS campaign.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

New homes have Rogers fibre right to the home. It still uses a DOCSIS modem as it is converted back to coax after it enters your home.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

New homes have Rogers fibre right to the home. It still uses a DOCSIS modem as it is converted back to coax after it enters your home.

Hahaha really? thats... silly.

But I'm betting he's not on that, since his location is Toronto, and those fiber packages are like 350meg not 35.
phoneman
join:2014-07-13

phoneman

If it is fibre to the house / unit on rogers, it's actually fibre for all packages. For all packages less then 350/350, they use RFoG with a converter and normal DOCSIS modems. 350/350 is the only fibre offering not using a DOCSIS modem.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by yyzlhr:

Hahaha really? thats... silly.

But I'm betting he's not on that, since his location is Toronto, and those fiber packages are like 350meg not 35.

nono...

Rogers is deploying FTTH in many greenfield builds using RFoG. It's not the same as their 350/350 service, which is GPON. The RFoG service is literally RFoG fibre -> co-ax converter -> co-axiel cable modem and TV terminals.

The CPE (TV or EMTA or DOCSIS devices) don't have any notion they're backhauling over fibre as the in-house converter does the RFoG conversion.

Install looks like this (note fibre -> co-axiel converter w/ UPS, which is feeding power into the converter using a co-axiel power injector.

»i.imgur.com/V7MBuh.jpg

Yes, it's a silly solution but I think Rogers is only doing these until their IPTV platform rolls out as they otherwise have no other way of getting TV signals to fibre-only houses right now.

That said... no one should never have signal issue in these situations (for obvious reasons) so this is probably a config / setup / hardware issue somewhere.
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

king_2015

Right on the money

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
Ah, thanks for the explanation.. I hadn't come across such a setup yet.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Ah, thanks for the explanation.. I hadn't come across such a setup yet.

Quick wiki read if you're interested »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra ··· er_glass

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah it's an interesting solution. IMO Rogers should have been doing this earlier, given how badly susceptible the coax outside plant is to noise.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Yeah it's an interesting solution. IMO Rogers should have been doing this earlier, given how badly susceptible the coax outside plant is to noise.

I think that they may have started doing this for new build starting in the early 2010s.

Okers
@rogers.com

Okers to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
WHAT ??? It's not fibre??? Rogers told me I had to use their latest cable modem because of its fibre goodness in it.
king_2015
join:2010-09-15
King City, ON

king_2015

It's FTTN ( Fibre to the Node) Not pure fibre.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Okers

Premium Member

to Okers
said by Okers :

WHAT ??? It's not fibre??? Rogers told me I had to use their latest cable modem because of its fibre goodness in it.

Rogers support staff tell a lot of people a lot of amazing things.
Aens
join:2012-11-09

Aens to Okers

to Okers
said by Okers :

Are you really surprised that happened when the person you are speaking to is being paid min wage and is trying to sell you telecommunications service? Heck, you still get that when buying cars and houses.

Acrimonius
join:2014-12-06

Acrimonius

Well anybody that knows anything about computers knows that data transfer speeds default to the maximum speed of the slowest/weakest component.

Rogers can call this Fiber or Hybrid Fiber all they want but the hard fact is: Because the 'last mile' is copper, Rogers is sending/receiving data over their network at the same speeds they always have. That being the maximum allowable over a copper based network. As soon as the data hits the copper last mile the data slows waaaaaaaaaay down. It's called a 'Bottleneck'. Something even a 5th grader knows about.

Sad but TRUE.
Aens
join:2012-11-09

Aens

To be fair, this was precipitated by Bell calling dsl "Fibe" and their reps freely interchanging fibe and fiber. Even 6mbit dsl was misrepresented as fiber. That is not to say that its alright to do the same cause their competitor did though.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Aens:

To be fair, this was precipitated by Bell calling dsl "Fibe" and their reps freely interchanging fibe and fiber. Even 6mbit dsl was misrepresented as fiber. That is not to say that its alright to do the same cause their competitor did though.

And even before Fibe, they called th ADSL2+ service OptiMax. Opti = Optical = Fiber Optics