Search similar:

uniqs
pcpro215
join:2015-01-25
Sheboygan, WI

pcpro215

Home wiring

Hi,

We are considering getting att uverse internet service (we already have att dsl). In doing some research, there seems to be a variety of ways of getting the signal to the router from outside the home.

Since we have phone line wiring from 1964 and this only allows us a 1.5mbps dsl connection, I was curious how the uverse signal is transmitted once inside the home.

Would our old, outdated lines be used? Or, is it run via cat5 or coax to the gateway?

I'm a tad confused as to how this is done and would appreciate any assistance with this.

Thank you.

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX

iRob

They would run a new cat5/cat5e line from the NID(outside box) to your modem. The old, outdated line will be there still, but won't be used.

gadawg
join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY

gadawg

You will probably get a different modem too. Residential gateway is what att calls it. It may cost an additional $8 per month.
pcpro215
join:2015-01-25
Sheboygan, WI

pcpro215 to iRob

to iRob
Thank you for your prompt reply!

What if I choose to do the install myself? I would assume that I would have to run the same type of cabling that att would, right?
pcpro215

pcpro215 to gadawg

to gadawg
Yeah, I saw that. You also have the option to purchase one as well. That costs roughly $100.00.

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

iRob to pcpro215

to pcpro215
you can only do self install under certain guidelines, and the only ones that I remember off the top of my head is that it has to be a speed 12Mbps and under, be a certain distance away from VRAD/IP-DSLAM, have had an a pro install in past(i think this may be one), and probably more to do self install.

And if you do the self install and you get the option for it, yes, you need cat5/cat5e run to where ever you will have the modem or the RG(residential gateway as gadawg said) to the NID on the side of your house. It's possible you will get your NID replaced if it's a really old one.
If you never had U-Verse before I'm thinking you are going to need the full tech install as a requirement by AT&T, but if you want to speed up the process, you can still run the cable to the NID.

Milwaukee PT to pcpro215

Anon

to pcpro215
First what is best Uverse speed available and can you order Uverse TV service.

If cannot order TV service this would be an ADSL2+ install using the 510 and expect speed to be what you currently have unless newer equipment has been placed closer but most will get 6M or less.

If TV service is available, should be able to order at least 18M internet service, a VDSL circuit.

Some can do a self install if conditions are meet....
1. Ordering 12M or less internet speed
2. No TV service ordered (this automatically is a full tech install)
3. Single pair install, for VDSL less than 3000 feet, adsl2+ up to about 15000 feet
4. Not a business.
5. Currently have AT&T POTS and or DSL service (known working line)
6. Not a FTTP (fiber to the premise, home using an ONT).

Full tech install (without TV service) is $99 charge.
Includes new cat5 home run, jack, data cable, assistance with registering, back feed VoIP to home phones if ordered, verify all services.

A customer self install tech gets service to side of residence.... Includes new drop and NID if needed.
If have any difficult in establishing service on a self install requesting another tech dispatch or same tech during will request in the same $99 charge. Basically if tech comes into your residence you are being billed.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Implying despite now that ever-more of the RGs they give charge a monthly fee, yet they still ship it direct to customer and allow a self-install?

Isn't ATT still doing "forced" DSL to u-verse conversions, i.e. it's not a matter of if, only of when?

OP should call and ask to "volunteer" for the forced-DSL-to-u-verse conversion package for a loyal customer (even imply you vaguely recall your "roommate" mentioned receiving a warning letter from ATT that it will happen soon), the one where they do a full-tech-install but waive the installation charge.