spc
Search similar:

uniqs
malletto
join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA

malletto to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: [IMG] New Quantum IMG Build - 3.24.2 (1/26/15)

Some folks were saying the laggyness issues seem to be gone, they "feel" better, but they definitely aren't gone. Its easy to see when fast forwarding and hitting play when you get to the stop you want, usually if shoots by if it gets the play signal at all. I'm usually having to anticipate it so I can hit play a few times before it registers the command.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

I'm seeing that issue but as for the rest of the lag that was present it's much improved.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

malletto, for me when I press play it registers it the first time and even jumps back a second or two to ensure you didn't miss anything. however, my boxes have never had really any issues at all (it did have a minor remote lag, but that was fixed with the latest update) so maybe I am not the best person to evaluate this.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Major lag back on all my boxes - lost another couple handfuls of logos on the main VMS again (2nd time in a week). My only ray of hope? In 2 weeks I will be out of FIOS territory.

I really hope you all don't get strung along for too much more.
bull3964
join:2014-09-27
Pittsburgh, PA

bull3964 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I'm pretty sure once HBO Now ends Apple exclusivity, I'm going to be dropping down to internet only.

The STB issues are one thing, but image quality has taken a sharp SHARP nosedive in recent months and I'm tired of paying a premium price to deal with such crap.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by bull3964:

I'm pretty sure once HBO Now ends Apple exclusivity, I'm going to be dropping down to internet only.

The STB issues are one thing, but image quality has taken a sharp SHARP nosedive in recent months and I'm tired of paying a premium price to deal with such crap.

Got a lot of problems with FiOS Quantum hardware, however the picture is still as pristine as it's ever been. Don't know if it has anything to do with using Tivos instead of the Quantum Quap, but FiOS PQ - and the internet service - remain outstanding for me.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Still not seeing the lag as bad as i was here before this last small update.
bull3964
join:2014-09-27
Pittsburgh, PA

bull3964 to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

Got a lot of problems with FiOS Quantum hardware, however the picture is still as pristine as it's ever been. Don't know if it has anything to do with using Tivos instead of the Quantum Quap, but FiOS PQ - and the internet service - remain outstanding for me.

Cartoon Network/Adult Swim have had a severe field jitter issue for the past two weeks or so (really apparent and annoying on animation.) It's at its worst on bright scenes. If you have your TV configured with no overscan you can easily see the whole image jump up and down. BBC-A, Science, and a few other channels have had a field swap issue on and off for the past 9 months or so. It has nothing to do with end user hardware, it has to do with channels they are cramming (poorly) 3 per QAM. I can handle a few compression artifacts here or there, but whatever they are using on these channels to lower their bitrate is leaving some NASTY interlacing artifacts.

I'm just tired of reporting the issues, seeing them fixed for 2-3 days because they reset something, and then having them revert and go to crap again. They really need to have a trained tech on high quality video monitors look at each channel (or at least one channel per QAM) several times a day and proactively correct these issues. This isn't what I'm paying premium service level rates for.

The issues with the Quantum hardware are just a cherry on top of a "What exactly am I paying for anyways?" cake.

Tomel
join:2007-11-07
Midlothian, VA

Tomel to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I haven't posted since the recent update. Wanted to give it some time before posting my observations.

The lag / memory leak seems to be better. I am experiencing the reported situation where you have to anticipate during a fast forward or rewind since it seems to take a few seconds for the server to process the signal from the remote.

I have had a new problem since the update that I have not seen reported here (I apologize for repeating if I missed a report). Let's call the problem "Channel Freeze." When I try to change channels by punching in the channel or by going to Favorites and selecting the channel, the channel will not change. The only way I can get the channel to change is by using the channel up button one channel at a time. Guess what the only solution that I've found that works. A reboot, of course. So far, I've encountered this problem three times and every time has been on the client (which tends to get more daily use than the server).

FTBoomer
join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL

FTBoomer to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Looks like I received an update at 1:30am this morning. I see that the Release is Release APR-1.0
Build 03.24.2
UI 03.24.2(3248.1)

Not sure anything changed but the Release
bsangs
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by FTBoomer:

Looks like I received an update at 1:30am this morning. I see that the Release is Release APR-1.0
Build 03.24.2
UI 03.24.2(3248.1)

Not sure anything changed but the Release

And......GO!
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
The Release has always been APR 1.0

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

and that update was the one we got a month ago. nothing new...

Tomel
join:2007-11-07
Midlothian, VA

Tomel to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
"Channel Freeze" happened again last night. Had to re-boot.

Since I've received no comments on my earlier post, I'm assuming that nobody else has had or heard of this problem. Wonder if it's a physical problem with a piece of equipment (client, server, ONT)?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

2 edits

Branch

Premium Member

Seeing as no one else has it, it could be an equipment issue.

Edit: it does look like some other people do have it, but a reboot seems to fix it.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to Tomel

to Tomel
said by Tomel:

Since I've received no comments on my earlier post, I'm assuming that nobody else has had or heard of this problem. Wonder if it's a physical problem with a piece of equipment (client, server, ONT)?

Yes, I have seen this issue a few times in the past couple months. Like you, a re-boot fixes it.
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to Tomel

to Tomel
said by Tomel:

I've been having it periodically as well. It doesn't happen as often as it did before the last update but it's still there. A reboot fixes it in the short term.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

The Freezes could be related to Free RAM, since there is a Memory Leak issue. IF it is not a signal issue, or anything regarding the coax etc.

Check to see what the RAM from your ( or anyone else ) VMS and IPC boxes.

I and others reboot once a week or so to prevent it from dropping very low.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

I just contacted VZ Direct and asked yet again about when these bugs will be fixed and when we will get some of the features from 1.9.7. I will say the newest update from a month or so ago (UI: 3248.1) has been MUCH more stable than previous versions but it is far from perfect.

Let's see what they say.
EA4492
join:2014-08-04
Rialto, CA

1 edit

EA4492 to Tomel

to Tomel
I was getting the Channels Freeze on one of the IPC while all of the other boxes worked fine and it turned out that one of the splitters was bad because i got a replacement box and was still getting the channel freeze. That could be your issue. And by the way, be careful replacing any quantum boxes, because it is a hassle to set up the new box since you have reset everything in order to add the new box which is what happened to me.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

I just got word from direct forum techs, the next version of quantum is currently being internally tested. Apparently, they have a dedicated quantum team who does that.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by Branch:

I just got word from direct forum techs, the next version of quantum is currently being internally tested. Apparently, they have a dedicated quantum team who does that.

That's a standard response. They told me the same thing 2 months ago.
bsangs
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to Branch

to Branch
said by Branch:

No offense, but there are about three of four posters here that know 100 percent more than any FiOS tech can - or will - tell you. When you see one of those posters give us some info, then you'll know it's for real.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

Direct forum techs are usually reliable.
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
It's certainly possible they are currently testing the next release. I think it's been mentioned here several times that the next release was scheduled for late 2nd qtr and that's coming up. The second just started.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I just hope that they are testing the Memory Leak Bug. It did get a little bit better after the latest UI update. But it is FAR from truly Fully Fixed.

I will personally never feel it is truly fixed, UNTIL I never need to reboot my STBs for extreme low RAM again every week.
bsangs
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to Branch

to Branch
said by Branch:

Direct forum techs are usually reliable.

When it comes to helping out with technical assistance, I agree. When it comes to forecasting updates and the like, sorry, but they're not in that loop.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

They were actually dead on with the release of the last update... they told me the exact date of release and said "it would contain improvements regarding the memory leak" which is true. They never said it would be fixed, just improvements. I think, that while we can all agree the memory leak is still there, it has gotten much better, *as the direct forum techs said it would*
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I just went through my Recordings and then my Scheduled list. On "Scheduled Recordings", the Font and Size is different ( when you press INFO ) than on View Recordings ( when you press INFO ).

I like the Scheduled Recordings Font better, IMO.

Does anyone else see this?
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

Yep, i see this too. on the recordings list its all white on scheduled its a mixture of white and gray.