dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
adamht1987
join:2015-01-12

adamht1987

[Caps] Does Comcast still have bandwidth caps?

When I was with Comcast residential last, they had a 250GB/month cap. Do they still have this?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross

MVM

[Caps] Re: Does Comcast still have bandwidth caps?

In most areas, there is no cap. Some selected areas have a 300G cap with overage charges.
adamht1987
join:2015-01-12

adamht1987

How do I see if I have a cap? I'm in the Baltimore area

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

Go to the Comcast site and search for it.

I stumbled across it yesterday, poking around for current offerings. If you look at the fine print for any current offering there will probably be a link discussing potential usage caps. I clicked one such link and was able to find a page that discussed the issue relative to specific cities.

Bet you could do that to!
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79 to adamht1987

Premium Member

to adamht1987
I once ran across a page in my Comcast account that told me how much data I had used month to date (along with a statement that data caps in my area weren't in effect). It's buried in there - somewhere (although I took a quick look and couldn't find it today). Robyn

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

mike34

Premium Member

said by Robyn79:

I once ran across a page in my Comcast account that told me how much data I had used

OP doesn't have a Comcast account.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

telcodad to adamht1987

MVM

to adamht1987
said by adamht1987:

When I was with Comcast residential last, they had a 250GB/month cap. Do they still have this?

said by adamht1987:

How do I see if I have a cap? I'm in the Baltimore area

No, a "data usage plan" has not been imposed in your market yet.

While Comcast "suspended" their monthly data cap in May 2012, they then began introducing a number of new data "allowance" and overage plans in various trial markets which, up to now, include:

Huntsville and Mobile, AL
Tucson, AZ
Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, GA
Central Kentucky
Maine
Jackson, MS
Charleston, SC
Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis, TN

See:

Questions and Answers About Our Data Usage Plan
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· tapolicy

What XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plans will Comcast be Launching?
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· aunching

Since the announcement of their merger with Time Warner Cable back in February 2014, however, it appears that they haven't had any further expansion of these trial markets while they're trying to get the deal approved: »Comcast: We Don't Have Caps, We Have 'Data Thresholds'

However, if and once the merger is approved, it apppears they will then begin imposing a data usage plan in all areas:

»Comcast Confirms Usage Caps Going Nationwide After Trials

»Comcast's Website Expands References to Usage Caps

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

a "data usage plan" has not been imposed in your market yet.

I expect the data caps to be more widely deployed once the merger is approved and Comcast doesn't have to play nice anymore.
wilitos
join:2014-11-11
Reston, VA

wilitos to adamht1987

to adamht1987

Right hand side there is a box with Data Usage.

For me it says "Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I love how the PR spin made it "Thresholds" instead of caps.

FMX
@comcast.net

FMX

Anon

Tech told me last week that they are getting rid of the caps. Take if for what's it worth.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

I love how the PR spin made it "Thresholds" instead of caps.

CAP = hard limit. Threshold = go over, pay more. There actually is a difference. You used to get disconnected if you repeatedly exceeded the cap. Now, you can use all the data you want. If your account includes a threshold, then it just costs more and more and more as you use data after passing the threshold.

The English language is wonderfully expressive. You can use words that actually mean what you are trying to say.

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to adamht1987

Premium Member

to adamht1987

Re: [Caps] Does Comcast still have bandwidth caps?

I wonder if Comcast still has invisible caps. Has anyone been able to download super huge amounts without getting a call or letter saying they're using too much?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by fonzbear2000:

I wonder if Comcast still has invisible caps.

Well, there is some kind of threshold/trigger point for the non-trial markets:

Questions and Answers About Our Data Usage Plan

Does this mean you're going to stop cutting people off who exceed your allowance?

Updated on August 08, 2014 at 6:43 PM
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· llowance
quote:
For non-trial markets, we will continue to contact the very small number of excessive users about their usage, which can be indicative of security or related issues.
What that threshold/trigger point/usage pattern is, maybe someone who has been "contacted" can tell us how much they had used.

doczenith1
join:2001-03-07
Michigan
Asus RT-AC86

doczenith1 to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

I wonder if Comcast still has invisible caps. Has anyone been able to download super huge amounts without getting a call or letter saying they're using too much?

I've been over 1 TB per month for the past 6+ months and no contact from them.
cgcarter1
join:2015-01-30
Acworth, GA

cgcarter1 to adamht1987

to adamht1987
I got hit with hitting my threshold since we started watching Netflix.
We would binge watch though...

I would get a text, then the next day I would get an email and finally about a week later I would get a call telling me I had used 90% of my threshold.

I transfered to Comcast Business and have no complaints about anything anymore...
LoserP
join:2001-07-09
San Jose, CA

LoserP to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000
said by fonzbear2000:

My average has been 400-500GB a month for the last year or two and they haven't complained yet.
»i.imgur.com/jdNT3Cd.png
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper to adamht1987

Premium Member

to adamht1987
A 300 GB cap is only 10/GB a day give or take. That is a complete joke. Watching a single super SuperHD title is 7GB an hour. SMH

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ

Re: [Caps] Re: Does Comcast still have bandwidth caps?

said by JohnInSJ:

The English language is wonderfully expressive. You can use words that actually mean what you are trying to say.

You are fighting a losing battle with the data threshold or allocation vs cap distinction. The diehard "cap" people have the support of this site's management.
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to fonzbear2000

to fonzbear2000

I have often approached and once or twice exceeded 1TB and have never gotten any sort of notice. Guess it depends on what you consider super huge. I exceeded Centurylinks cap and got disconnected.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to FMX

to FMX

Re: [Caps] Re: Does Comcast still have bandwidth caps?

said by FMX :

Tech told me last week that they are getting rid of the caps. Take if for what's it worth.

I can only hope that with Google's announcement that Fiber is coming to the ATL that the stupid trial will end here soon. Doesn't really matter though, they're going to get killed in the market once GF starts deploying. As well they should, people have long memories.
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew to FMX

to FMX
said by FMX :

My usage meter on Comcast's site has been 'unavailable' since the day after Google's announcement. I'm in the Atlanta market. The curious timing makes me hopeful that they're related.
swanlee
join:2013-12-05

swanlee to adamht1987

to adamht1987

I still have it in Atlanta and hate it every day. Can;t wait for Google Fiber in my area I will switch immediately.
wchillman
join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA

wchillman to Hooper

to Hooper
said by Hooper:

A 300 GB cap is only 10/GB a day give or take. That is a complete joke. Watching a single super SuperHD title is 7GB an hour. SMH

My wife and I watch Netflix (which is set for the highest quality stream possible) as well as Amazon on our 1080p TV. Sometimes she will watch Netflix on her Moto X but we haven't even gotten close to 300 gb/month. So, streaming for 3 hours a day @ 7 gb/hour would be over 600 gb/month? I just can't figure why we fall well below this. Ideas?
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew

said by wchillman:

said by Hooper:

My wife and I watch Netflix (which is set for the highest quality stream possible) as well as Amazon on our 1080p TV. Sometimes she will watch Netflix on her Moto X but we haven't even gotten close to 300 gb/month. So, streaming for 3 hours a day @ 7 gb/hour would be over 600 gb/month? I just can't figure why we fall well below this. Ideas?

Partially depends on what you're watching and available bandwidth. If you're watching shows that aren't available in Super HD it will be considerably less than 7GB/hr.

Streaming video is more than 80% of my household's usage and we can hit the 300GB in a couple weeks if we're not actively curbing our usage. We have to average less than 3 hours a day to stay under the threshold.