spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ptscon
join:2009-02-21

ptscon

Upgrading from old USG firmware

Hi guys,

We have a USG200 that's running old firmware 2.20(AQU.3) ..how smooth/rough upgrade to the latest version should we expect?

Any chance the config does not have to be reset? It's very basic.

I'm assuming doing it remotely may not be the best idea; nervous of getting locked out and having to rush to the datacenter.

Thanks
gb5102
join:2003-10-07
Saint Paul, MN

1 edit

gb5102

You would not have to reset the config, and doing it remotely also should not be a problem(notice the should).

There is always a chance of something going haywire during an upgrade so whenever I plan a remote f/w upgrade I always make sure I have an opening in my schedule first thing the next morning...lol. I've done 50+ remote upgrades to various zywalls and the only issue I can remember was self-inflicted because I failed to thoroughly read the release notes before upgrading a ZW110 from 3.1 to 4.0...

JP gave some good advice in a recent thread which applies to you as well:
»Can you skip a firmware version on a GS1900-16 switch

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

Sorry to disagree, but form 2.20 to 3.30 it is almost certain that the config will misbehave and you'll have to reset to defaults and start configuring from scratch.

My advise
1) Get there locally
2) Hook up the console cable if you have it and have terminal open at all time to watch the progress
3) Backup the current config
4) Upgrade
5) Try it after reboot ... I'm almost certain something will not work
6) Reset to defaults
7) Reconfigure from scratch (don't load old config)

Bring the console cable for sure. If this goes badly you can still recover via console cable. See release notes on the procedure.