wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Monoxide?

Major blizzard headed our way, I'm in Connecticut where it's expected to hit the worst.

My question:

I rent an apartment in a house and live under a fairly slanty roof. House is heated and hot water with city gas. If the snow ends up over two feet, I'm concerned the vents on the roof might get blocked and we experience carbon monoxide in the house. How likely is that as a danger? The snow is supposed to be light and fluffy.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Pick up a detector at the local hardware store before the weather hits. They should be under 30 bucks and run on batteries. They look like a smoke detector.

Or just crack the windows a little.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to wutsinterweb3

to wutsinterweb3
May need to worry about snow load on the roof also if it gets extreme.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

This post is a few years ago, but its possible your fire department has some for free:

NBFD has a limited supply of new battery operated smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. If you don't have a working alarm, call or email us at 203-484-6016 or deputyfiremarshal@townofnorthbranfordct.com.

»patch.com/connecticut/no ··· etectors

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Watching CNN, for some reason CNN never wants to say anything about CT during such news. It's all Boston and NYC, but CT is gonna get the worst of this. We already have a half foot on the ground, and another up to or even more than 30" is coming for my area. Thanks CNN for refusing to acknowledge that CT exists.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
If the power goes out your heat will go out. No need to worry about CO if that happens.

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11 to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
I think the heat in the exhaust fumes will pretty much keep snow melted around exhaust pipes. Some newer furnaces exhaust out the side of the building.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to wutsinterweb3

MVM

to wutsinterweb3
Even though a lot of snow is forecast waste heat from your furnace and water heater should melt any snow - plus the flue opening is pretty large so hard for snow to plug it up.

That being said you really should have a CO detector. You can either get a standalone version or combo smoke/CO alarm.

/tom

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm gonna get a couple detectors ASAP, just can't afford it right now. I will check with the local FD about it.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by wutsinterweb3:

Yeah, I'm gonna get a couple detectors ASAP, just can't afford it right now. I will check with the local FD about it.

Walmart's website lists some for under $20, as does Target.
»www.walmart.com/browse/h ··· rice_low

Even to just buy one (rather than a couple) is good for a start!

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 edit

tp0d to skipon11

Premium Member

to skipon11
said by skipon11:

I think the heat in the exhaust fumes will pretty much keep snow melted around exhaust pipes. Some newer furnaces exhaust out the side of the building.

This...

In cold weather conditions, a masonry chimney will stay warm enough to melt -any- snow/ice/etc that comes in contact with it. Even so, a dead bird/squirrel/smallfuzzycritter/leaves can also block the chimney. In this case there are multiple safety switches built into any boiler/furnace after 1970-ish that would shut the flame off if the chimney was blocked. If its a newer, high efficiency boiler vented thru the sidewall, it has pressure switches to stop operation if covered by 2-3-4ft of snow..

I recommend a Nighthawk CO detector, and having a smoke/co combo isnt a bad idea also.

-j

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

If the power goes out your heat will go out. No need to worry about CO if that happens.

Not entirely true. Yes a gas furnace will have fans or circulation pumps that need power. But a stand alone gas water heater with a pilot light requires no power to operate.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Depends if the hot water heater is power vented or not. Ours is and won't fire unless there's electricity to run the exhaust blower motor.

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to tp0d

Premium Member

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

I recommend a Nighthawk CO detector,

I second that recommendation. I bought one over 15 years ago which is still working. I have a second one that is a bit newer, but also still works. They're not the cheapest, but are quite dependable.

At the time I bought the first one, it was about the only model which didn't require replacing some internal part after a certain period of time. I'm not sure if that's still true or not for other brands, but I'm very satisfied with Nighthawk.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

said by vaxvms:

Not entirely true. Yes a gas furnace will have fans or circulation pumps that need power. But a stand alone gas water heater with a pilot light requires no power to operate.

Correct - anything with a thermocouple/standing pilot will still operate; and some gas appliances with electronic ignition have battery backups for when there is no electricity available.

It's also in bad storms (with power outages) that people do otherwise 'silly' things like use BBQ's indoors for heat or to cook; heat with gas ranges, construction heaters, etc, etc...

CO detectors are critical, it truly is a silent killer; there's often no symptoms until it's too late. In most areas, CO detectors are legally required in rental units with fuel burning appliances.

As for the snow-load, as was mentioned, typically the waste heat is enough to keep the vents clear, so that's less of a concern, then what people do to stay warm when the power's out...
LazMan

2 recommendations

LazMan to Jim Gurd

Premium Member

to Jim Gurd
said by Jim Gurd:

said by tp0d:

I recommend a Nighthawk CO detector,

I second that recommendation. I bought one over 15 years ago which is still working. I have a second one that is a bit newer, but also still works. They're not the cheapest, but are quite dependable.

At the time I bought the first one, it was about the only model which didn't require replacing some internal part after a certain period of time. I'm not sure if that's still true or not for other brands, but I'm very satisfied with Nighthawk.

If that's the case, it's way overdue for replacement.

CO detectors have a lifespan of 7 years - the detectors loose accuracy and sensitivity over time.

Modern units have a 'countdown' timer that causes it to chirp or otherwise signal when it's reached EoL.

Your 15 year old unit is giving you a false sense of security... Sorry.
Expand your moderator at work