Oceanside, CA
ARRIS S33
Asus RT-AX86
Asus RT-AX58

1 edit

taffeys

[ALL] Increased Corrected and Uncorrectables on Downstream Channels

Click for full size
Twelve days ago my SB6183 rebooted at 1:24am. In my router log I can see that it was off-line for about 20 minutes. When it came back online I had twelve Downstream Channels bonded; I had eight Downstream Channels bonded the day before. What concerned me was before this event I had very few or no Corrected and Uncorrectables but now I was seeing very high Corrected and Uncorrectables on five Channels in less than 8 hours. Since this happened I restored the factory defaults and rebooted the modem several times. The Corrected and Uncorrectables are not as high as before but they are there. There are no issues shown in the Event Log other than DCHP renewal and "Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out" once a day.

Also, I used to have four Upstream channels and now I only have three. Is this a normal change when going to more Downstream channels?

I have attached a screenshot of the modem status five days after I last rebooted it. Also, since going to 12 downstream channels I see that the downstream power on all channels dropped from ~0.0 dBmv to -2.5 to -4.4 dBmv. My speeds are OK. I checked all the coax connections and they are fine. Do I have a problem? What could be causing all the corrected and uncorrectables on the higher channels?
alizona
join:2015-01-18
Oceanside, CA

alizona

I'm in Oceanside, CA as well. I've had the same experience with my SB6141. More correctables and uncorrectables, 3 upstream instead of 4.
But I get a daily T3 not a T4. My downstream power stayed the same but my upstream power dropped 20%. My connection and speeds are not affected.
I check the signals and log everyday and it appears Cox has been doing maintenance in the middle of the night about once a week for the past month or so here in the San Diego market area.
I had been troubleshooting but I figure I'll just let it ride until they sort it all out.
At least I now know for sure it's not just me.
taffeys
join:2009-11-30
Oceanside, CA
ARRIS S33
Asus RT-AX86
Asus RT-AX58

taffeys

said by alizona:

I'm in Oceanside, CA as well.

Thanks for the update alizona. What part of Oceanside are you in? I'm on the eastern edge by Vista. I continue to see more and more correctables and uncorrectables. Hope your upstream power didn't drop too far.
alizona
Oceanside, CA

1 edit

alizona

Near the coast on Oceanside Blvd. I put an attenuator into the mix to raise the upstream.
Funny thing about it all is my internet has been rock solid throughout and my TV reception through the STB is perfect. It's just that I'm a wee bit anal about signal levels. Must be my OCD.
Not to mention the fact that Cox never informs their customers about maintenance or changes to their headend.
I do know they've been rolling out the 16 downstream channel capabilities for your 6183 to various markets. Probably what's been happening here lately.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

said by alizona:

I put an attenuator into the mix to raise the upstream.

This is really unnecessary, unless your downstream power levels are above +10. The modem communicates with the node, and sets the upstream power levels based on the quality of the connection between the two. Adding an attenuator chokes the signal, which forces an increase in the upstream power levels due to the degraded quality of the connection. It's the SNR that you want high, not the power levels.
alizona
Oceanside, CA

1 edit

alizona

My unattenuated downstream is +9 or +10 depending on the time of day. Last month the upstream dropped overnight into the low 30's.
A 6dBmV attenuator puts the signals at +3 down and 39 up. Have always had a 37-38 SNR.
RG11 drop, one two-way 5-1000MHz Monster splitter and RG6 Quad to the STB and modem gives me 65 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up on the 50/5 tier.
taffeys
join:2009-11-30
Oceanside, CA
ARRIS S33
Asus RT-AX86
Asus RT-AX58

taffeys

said by taffeys:

Do I have a problem? What could be causing all the corrected and uncorrectables on the higher channels?

So no one can answer my questions? Any Cox people care to help me with this?
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

best to pm a cox tech or post in the cox support forum via the cox support page