spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Just_Dan9
join:2005-01-15
San Jose, CA

Just_Dan9

[trueSTREAM] New service options?

I am looking to exit my Comcast Business Internet contract, and have just a few days
left to give notice. My house was rebuilt four years ago and has not had any phone
service connected since the old structure was demolished.

The online pre-qual indicates the best I can do is Max 18 Plus, but a call to a the sales
line has me at 15K feet from the CO. There is what appears to be an AT&T VRAD less
than a 1000 line feet from my house in Campbell, CA 95125, labeled SNJWCAVU .

Comcast requires 30 days notice to terminate the contract, which gives me enough time
for the install to complete, but I need to know that I can get service before I cancel, which brings me to my questions:

1. If I cannot confirm that cabinet is a VRAD, is there a trail period on TrueSTREAM? That might allow me to cancel my cancellation if service does not meet my needs.

2. Assuming service is available and acceptable, is it possible to switch from a leased to
purchase modem after a couple of months? Even better is I can purchase the rental once satisfied.

3. Is it possible to get a single static IP for less than the block of 5? If not does DSLX support DNS delegation?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

1. Unfortunately no, we do not have trial periods for trueSTREAM.

2. Also, unfortunately no; need to decide when placing the order (although that might be subject to change later on, that's how it's set up now).

3. I'll have to check with Billing on this one, but I think that's also a no-go. Let me find out though.
dslx_nick

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Sorry, confirmed #3 as a double-nay as well.

At 15kft from the CO, I'm very certain your 18Mbps connection would have to be connected to the aforementioned VRAD (or another one close by), for what it's worth.
Just_Dan9
join:2005-01-15
San Jose, CA

Just_Dan9

1. Unfortunate, especially if I am wrong about the cabinet being a VRAD and I get service in the 3Mb/s range.

2. Understood. Renting only made sense if the cabinet is not a VRAD and I would have to bail on the service if not as advertised. (due to AT&T's not so accurate records)

3. Also not a surprise. A big part of ditching Comcast is the single ip cost going up to $19.95 a month.

Is there anyway to confirm the cabinet is a VRAD and if it is, what profiles it is equipped to support? The 18Mbs service is the minimal acceptable level, and it would be very far from ideal to pay for a year of service I cannot use...

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Not any easy way that I'm aware of, at least. I can try to poke around and research but I don't have access to any already-known system to look it up. If you want to shoot me an IM with your exact street address and any existing AT&T phone number you have at the location, that might help.
dslx_nick

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

I've been trying to cross-reference other customers in the general area, but haven't yet found any that are conclusively connected to that piece of equipment. However, I was able to get a useful bit of information from our Billing department - if you sign up for 18Mbps and it really can only do 3Mbps like you're worried, the install technician will be able to determine that on-site and will advise you of such, and you can choose to cancel the install order rather than carry on with it at that point.