Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: [ALPHA] Vivaldi browser Technical Preview

Good to know, ie not asking for the Moon before they have built the rocket and invented the fuel system.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

2 recommendations

chachazz

Premium Member

Snapshot (1.0.151.7) Updated tiling and tons of polish
»vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· f-polish
quote:
Things have been very busy after a few days of Easter vacation. We are getting close to another TP and we are spending a lot of time on bugs and polish.

We have made some adjustments to Tab Stack Tiling, you now have a Tile icon in the status bar so you can tile Tab Stacks and selected tabs from there.

We have also added an “unread” tab indicator for background tabs.

Keyboard shortcuts continue to get attention and we have fixed a couple of annoying bugs there, for example the bug where shortcuts wouldn‘t work on error pages. Also Vivaldi will not send you back in history when you use CTRL + left arrow in text fields now.

Please note that if you installed Vivaldi as standalone and auto-update to this latest build, in some cases, you may not have access to your previous session, history etc after the update. If that happens, you can simply delete newly created User Data folder in your install directory, and rename your Profile folder to User Data.
Changelog:
• VB-4804: browser window dies after some time in the background
• VB-3902: "No results" for Find in Page now more obvious
• VB-4811: Fixed wrong info for keyboard shortcuts in settings window.
• VB-4812: Firstrun page loads blank
• VB-4768: vivaldi://settings forwards to wrong page
• VB-4767: progressbar appears when switching between tabs
• VB-4763: Restarting with tiles tabs as focused will show some blank
• VB-4675: update strings in warning dialog for running chromium browsers during import
• VB-3401: URL field popup box truncated when search field is hidden
• VB-2757: Deleted window places at bottom instead of top like the tabs
• VB-2539: DEBT: Switching between processes in GuestView does not trigger refresh of web-content
• VB-643: Unread tab indicator missing
• VB-78: Missing tile of windows
• VB-5011: Restored tabs are opened in empty tile grid
• VB-5010: Reopened tabs gets "unread" when it's read
• VB-4606: Keyboard shortcuts do not work in error pages
• VB-4604: Backspace goes two pages back, not one page
• VB-2674: Browser slogan to about page
• VB-4819: ESC in urlfield undoes edit
• VB-4813: browser-window becomes "dead" when closing reopening tabs several times
• VB-4799: f3 doesn't return focus
• VB-4781: Chromium based browsers - import data for linux (Password import not working!!!!)
• VB-4440: Ctrl Cursorleft not working as wordjump left in textarea
• VB-4428: Import from chrome, opium, vivaldi and yandex on linux
• VB-1505: Unable to add keyboard shortcuts using (command) key on Mac OS X
• VB-2365: Title can overlap horizontal menu bar

Last modified on Friday, 10 April 2015 16:27

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Thanks - You FAST !

But I got the first comment in, in the blog thread.

....which you already linked.

Auto-Update from the last build is working more smoothly now (Win32), though it currently orphans and forgets the old profile.

See my comments in the blog thread about the suggested fix for that, and how it worked for me.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Rather annoyed with Vivaldi right now. Updated from the internal updater (yeah, big mistake) and it completely wiped my profile. ARGH. NOT COOL. Especially since it nuked my previous session.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by sivran:

Rather annoyed with Vivaldi right now. Updated from the internal updater (yeah, big mistake) and it completely wiped my profile. ARGH. NOT COOL. Especially since it nuked my previous session.

The 2nd comment post in here is how I fixed the same issue with mine, and if lucky may solve it for you :

chachazz
Premium Member

1 recommendation

chachazz to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
Release notes
quote:
Please note that if you installed Vivaldi as standalone and auto-update to this latest build, in some cases, you may not have access to your previous session, history etc after the update. If that happens, you can simply delete newly created User Data folder in your install directory, and rename your Profile folder to User Data.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Yes, that's where I got the idea, though I paraphrased it in my linked post.

chachazz
Premium Member

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

Snapshot 1.0.156.2 : Feature polish and tons of bug fixes
»vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· ug-fixes

Note: If you have a multi-user install of Vivaldi in C:\Program Files or similar, please use manual install this time, not the automatic updater.
quote:
As each day passes, we close in on the next TP. We are spending lots of time fixing as many issues as possible to make the TP3 as good as it can be. We hope you are as excited as we are.

To mention some of the most important changes and fixes, we fixed several issues related to installer/autoupdates. It should no longer cause any of the update/uninstall issues seen in the previous snapshot build.

Keyboard shortcuts received several new fixes. It now has the ability to restore/delete them in an easier fashion.

There are also couple of new keyboard shortcuts in the settings:
• Tile tab stack vertically: Ctrl + F9
• Tile tab stack horizontally: Ctrl + F8
• Tile tab stack to gid: Ctrl + F7
• Zoom in: 0, +
• Zoom out: 9, -

Improvement on Spatial navigation is ongoing. Hopefully, you find it more usable in this build with the recent bug fixes and algorithm optimisations.

For those of you on Mac, we’ve done some work for the main menu. Vivaldi now controls it from JavaScript and displays all the menu items which were previously not accessible in the main menu.

We appreciate all the feedback and comments we get on these snapshot, and could not have come this far without them. Thank you!

Please note that this is still very early in production, there will be issues, and the browser is still far from optimized, changes will be made, and improvements will be added, but untill then, use at your own risk.
(Last modified on Friday, 17 April 2015 19:14)

The changelog is large - read it on the Team Blog - »vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· ug-fixes

chachazz

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

Snapshot 1.0.161.2 - more bugfixing
quote:
This week has been a bit emotional for some of us as we learned that the company many of us worked for before, Opera, dismantled its Oslo desktop team and fired some 70 employees around the world. As you can imagine, this is a major move for the company as this is where it all started, with the desktop browser in Oslo.

Many of our good friends around the globe lost their jobs. Our thoughts are with them all. Clearly this makes our task even more important and we will continue to work hard making the best browser available for you, our friends.

In this build we have fixes mouse gestures for Mac and Linux. You can now also enable native windows decoration, something that has been frequently requested by our linux users. We also added unread page indicator in tab-stacks. Several people have also complained that the context-menu is positioned in wrong position on Linux with more than one screen or while on HiDPI screens %u2014 this is now also fixed.

Changelog
VB-5265 - Unread page indicator in tab stack
VB-5251 - Highlight color in URL complete resets for every char even if there is no other options
VB-5115 - Reload of speed dial fails in folder
VB-4772 - Browsers are incorrect in import dialog
VB-4312 - Bindings for keyboard aren't cleaned up when changing binding in settings
VB-2602 - Task manager missing on Mac
VB-4766 - Don't close Vivaldi without prior warning
VB-3633 - Title is not updated by javascript
VB-1824 - The "Accept and Install" text in the EULA link must change to "Accept and Upgrade" if we are upgrading
VB-1894 - Context menus are out of position (HiDPI and Linux)
VB-5018 - Chromium is opened instead of Vivaldi when default browser is Vivaldi
VB-5183 - NSL Progress bar on going back to SD
VB-4754 - Fix mouse gestures for Mac and Linux

Last modified on Friday, 24 April 2015 17:11
»vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· ugfixing

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Snapshot 1.0.161.2 - more bugfixing

Thanks.

I skipped last week's update, because I have been occupied with working on an alternate theme for Vivaldi, but I took today's.

I did not let it auto update, because of some recent reports of problems with that, and I had had such a problem 2 or 3 weeks ago myself.

Instead, I downloaded and installed from the executable, to overwrite my existing standalone (advanced) install from 2 weeks ago, and that went fine.

Since my last update, they have made a few tweaks to the UI, such as adding borders to the stacked tab tops, but I did not notice much else.

This update did however upset the position of the address URL text, and of the bookmark button, in my custom theme, and I had to tweak accordingly.

Win 32 version, Win Vista Home Basic SP2.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Followup :

This install (161) did not remove my old Vivaldi snapshot.

Might have been because I had added some files to it while testing my theme.

Dunno, but you all should check for the old numbered folder being empty, if your new version is working properly.

Deleting it will remove a fair bit of bloat.

chachazz
Premium Member

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

Thanks for tip(s).
Had it installed locally; now installing globally.
chachazz

chachazz

Premium Member

Snapshot 1.0.162.2 Technical Preview 3 candidate
quote:
Hi, we have reached the point of a release candidate for the TP3, so we are launching another snapshot today in preparation for that. Because of your hard work and testing, we have been able to find and fix some of the bigger issues at such a fast pace that we wanted to keep the momentum to have even more stable Technical Preview.

Today’s snapshot contains the ability to hide Spatial Navigation after activation with Esc key. It also contains a few fixes for the Native Menu decoration.

We hope you like the fixes and have a great weekend!
Changelog
• VB-4391 - Can’t hide spatial navigation indicator
• VB-562 - Fix for native menu

Last modified on Monday, 27 April 2015 09:41
chachazz

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

TP3 is here!
by Jon von Tetzchner - April 28, 2015
quote:
Today, we released the third Technical Preview of the Vivaldi browser. We would like to thank all of you again for testing and helping us to achieve this important development milestone. Special thanks goes to our Sopranos who have been tirelessly testing our internal builds and confirming many incoming issues.

TP3 is significant improvement from TP2. Just to recap what we worked on for the last month and half since TP2:

• Added Tab stack and tab selection tiling in vertical, horizontal and grid organization.
• Improved Notes both visually and functionally. Now you can add more attachments and screenshots.
• Added support for more mouse gestures, including link gestures.
• Added more keyboard shortcuts and improved keyboard shortcut editing.
• Added Unread tab indicator to both tabs and tab stacks.
• Added optional Native window support for better integration with Linux WMs in particular.
• Added Auto update on Windows.
• Increased the number of supported languages to 40.
• Added data import from all major browsers.
• Added on-demand image and plugin controls so that you can load only what you need.
• Added Background tab progress indicator.
• Improved both Fast Forward and Rewind functionality.
• Significantly improved Spatial navigation.
• Improved Page actions.
• Added more options to the download dialog. It now has both “Save” and “Save As” in addition to “Open”.
• Added a new option to the bookmarks bar, so that you can have a very compact bookmarks bar with icons only.
• Added full screen reminder option.
• Some performance tuning
• A lot of bug fixes and polish

We are happy to see the progress we’ve made but our work will continue. The next major milestone is Beta. There are still some key features to be implemented and tested. We appreciate your support, and your continuous help with the Vivaldi browser development.

To download TP3, head over to vivaldi.com.

Cheers,
Jon
Last modified on Tuesday, 28 April 2015 11:52
TP3 - 1.0.162.4 - »vivaldi.com/download/#alternate

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Oliie (dev) said in the blog that it's not much different than last weekend's snapshot, so I manually installed it over that, and it seems to work just as well.

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

2 edits

1 recommendation

Gone Fishing to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Vivaldi browser Technical Preview Snapshot 1.0.167.2

quote:
https://vivaldi.net

Snapshot 1.0.167.2. Better keyboard-shortcut editing and user statistics Featured
Written by Olafur Arnason May 4, 2015
Changelog

• VB-5438 - Spatnav does not update focus indicator when window gets resized
• VB-5388 - Vivaldi name missed under vivaldi menu
• VB-5185 - Fixing typo in Import
• VB-5012 - Cannot edit keyboard shortcuts
• VB-4733 - Warn when adding already used shortcut
• VB-3935 - Can't set more than one keyboard shortcut pper item
• VB-3019 - Setting windows is black and show nothing in it
• VB-1256 - Url-drop-down should not go away when history item has been deleted
• VB-478 - Add unique constraint to keyboard shortcuts
• VB-5505 - Clean up tab thumbnail
• VB-5319 - Windows installer starts Vivaldi as Admin
• VB-5192 - Spatnav cursor and form submit
• VB-4880 - Esc and F8 hotkeys don't leave address bar

Last modified on Monday, 04 May 2015 19:53

Download @ »vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· atistics

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Just a quick note that the TP3 build will NOT notice the regular snapshots, as they are positioned in a different 'update channel'.

However. if you still had TP2 installed, it WOULD have noticed TP3.

This concept should be familiar to those who use Mozilla beta builds alongside regular ones, next to ESR, next to the nightly dev builds....

So anyway, y'all can download and install this latest new snapshot to overwrite the TP3 build (or fresh if you wish), and it should then notice NEXT week's snapshot, etc....

Oh, and I spelled Ollie's name wrong in my last post.

BTW, I'm still at TP3, as I have been editing its program files for UI modification experiments, and I do not wish to edit the new ones quite yet.

chachazz
Premium Member

3 edits

chachazz

Premium Member

Vivaldi browser Technical Preview 3 - Snapshot 1.0.167.2 - Better keyboard-shortcut editing and user statistics
May 4, 2015 - »vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· atistics
quote:
Last week was busy with TP3 launch. We are happy to see we have gotten one step closer to Beta

We are starting a new week with another snapshot. This week, we have polished keyboard shortcut settings.

It’s now easier to change shortcuts and you can have more than one shortcuts per action.

To be able to serve you, our users and friends, in the best possible way, we need to know a little about you.

We need to know how many you are, what HW/OS you have and where in the world and which language you use. This helps us make the right priorities on our resources.

Starting with this build, Vivaldi will connect with our servers for this purpose only once per day. We do not collect any usage data.

This is only for us to have a general feel about our overall user base.

So, on first run Vivaldi generates a unique ID for your installation.

Then, every 24 hours, your browser, if running, will send via https, the following info:
• The unique user ID
• Browser user agent
• CPU architecture
• Screen Resolution
• Accept Language

Changelog - »vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· atistics

Gone Fishing
Premium Member

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

NM

chachazz
Premium Member

2 edits

chachazz

Premium Member

TP3 - Snapshot 1.0.174.8-1 Startup settings and tab-switching performance
May 11, 2015
quote:
One of the popular requests we have focused a bit on in this build is Startup settings. You now have 3 options for startup: Continue from last time, start with Homepage and start with Speed Dial. More option will be added later in coming builds.

Another activity that is going on speed optimization. We are rewriting some code to optimize UI performance. Tabs have gotten some attention this week.

Switching between tabs should be faster in some cases. Please look out for bugs here as this is still work in progress.
Changelog & download links: »vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· formance

Changelog:
• VB-4122 - Speed dial zoom stuck on 80%
• VB-5422 - Shortcuts activated in PDF
• VB-5300 - Editing notes crashes Vivaldi and leaves ghosts
• VB-4167 - Missing translation string for “Toggle panels” button at the side
• VB-2571 - Some context menu translations are missing in all languages
• VB-5582 - Rewrite tab-handling without backbone to make tab-switching faster
• VB-5113 - Download save as does not change download folder
• VB-5108 - “New tab” item in tab contextual menu doesn’t open new tab
• VB-5604 - Button for image options does not close after changing tab
• VB-5596 - Option button for images doesn’t have any tooltip
• VB-5546 - Log screen-resolution in user stats
• VB-5312 - Installer wants to convert a single user install into standalone
• VB-5262 - All user clean install does not open Vivaldi after install has finished.
• VB-5145 - Vivaldi icon goes completely black
• VB-4643 - Localized search
Last modified on Monday, 11 May 2015 18:58

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Hello hello,
Hey I would like to ask a question, (Im kinda late to this party)
I see this
Windows: 32-bit | 64-bit (experimental)

I am running Windows 7 -64 Bit
is experimental ok?

PS- I love Opera and still use it. (12.16)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I don't know what their experimental 64-bit is like, but plenty of folks are successfully testing the 32-bit Vivaldi with 64-bit Windows.

My own Windows are all 32-bit, so I have no choice, but no biggie.

And I have gained a new respect for Opera 12.x while testing Vivaldi, as so many folks keep comparing the two that I had to try it again too, after nearly 2 years most recently spent with Mozilla-based browsers, which BTW are also a fair thing to compare when evaluating Vivaldi.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to bobbagels

Premium Member

to bobbagels
said by bobbagels:

... I see this
Windows: 32-bit | 64-bit (experimental)
I am running Windows 7 -64 Bit
is experimental ok? ...

The 32-bit versions are more like alpha versions; however their 'experimental' configuration elements (as well as much of the 64-bit version) are still... uhm... more "experimental" - that is, potentially more problematic on some installations. Meaning, they're not as thoroughly debugged as other "alpha-ish" code blocks and functionality. Given the Tech Preview aspect of the whole browser project thus far, you can (and should) expect the less-used code areas to be buggier... and the 64-bit version is 'less-used,' based on the posts in their forum which I've observed since Vivaldi's initial release. Some users have already made Vivaldi their default browser, probably because they use largely mainstream aspects of it that work fairly smoothly now; other users (especially those who venture heavily into tweaking or heavy-loading the browser with complex or numerous sites) are encountering a variety of bugs even in the 32-bit version. Myself, I'm using 32-bit V on a 64-bit Win7 installation, and find myself now using the browser about 95% of the time for mostly "routine" browsing. However, there are still several infrequent issues with it that cause me trouble, so I continue to run it as a stand-alone install, as well as not making it default.

Over the years, I've come to make it a personal practice to never set any software not yet in "final release" state as the "default" on my systems. There's just too much instability in beta (or lower) software to risk my system and data-sets to it. Just realize that, in spite of the progress made thus far with Vivaldi, it's still very early days in the life-cycle of that browser.

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
OK, thank you for the replies, I am going to start working with the 32 bit version.
Good advice, THX

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Also be sure to check out the forum and team blog at the vivaldi.net site, to see what we're all saying about their new browser, and about other things as well.

chachazz
Premium Member

3 recommendations

chachazz

Premium Member

TP3 - Snapshot 1.0.178.2 with more settings
Following up on the new startup option dialogue, we’ve added more options this week. You can now define a list of pages to start with.

We have also added an option to disable single-key shortcuts. Paste and go (Ctrl+Shift+V) now also works when you have focus on the document, not just when address field is focused.

The settings window should now also start faster after a small tweak.

Changelog
• VB-5668 - “Close other tabs” closes active tab as well
• VB-5645 - Wrong tab gets closed when closing tab stack
• VB-4987 - f5 doesn’t refresh the page while page is loading
• VB-4183 - Fast forward sometimes not working correctly with dynamically created DOM
• VB-5540 - Setting to disable single key shortcuts
• VB-5659 - Vivaldi opens new tabs on the left instead of on the right
• VB-5654 - vivaldi:about page background issue
• VB-5599 - Multiselection of tabs not properly recognized
• VB-3197 - Make “startup” option

Last modified on Monday, 18 May 2015 16:01

Auto-update or - download links: »vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· settings

chachazz

chachazz

Premium Member

TP3 - Snapshot 1.0.190.2 Startpage customization, UI zooming, auto-update on mac and more
quote:
Vivaldi is to be a very (dare I say the most) customizable browser, and a big part of that will be our UI. With this snapshot you will be able to change the Startpage background image, or pick a solid color. You can also choose if you want light or dark foreground elements, to better match your new background. Some truly creative uses are possible, and people have been seen sporting animated backgrounds for their Startpage in the Oslo office.

Another new feature is the ability to scale the UI. This will resize the Vivaldi user interface without touching web pages themselves. Hand-in-hand with this we are also converting our UI to use SVG icons. This means that icons will be as crisp as possible in any size. We already support HiDPI, but once this work is completed we will handle the in-between states much better. Another requested feature that made it this time is being able to hide Tab thumbnails when Tabs are placed on the left or right. If you display thumbnails with Tabs at the top, this preference will carry over when you switch them to the side.
All these new shiny things are available in the Appearance part of Settings. Go check them out!

If you are on mac you will also note we have a new entry in the Vivaldi menu called "Check for updates".
Changelog:

• VB-5717 - Select in searchfield dropdown should invoke search
• VB-5716 - Not whole urlstring selected when focusing addressfield
• VB-5666 - Fast-forward does not always activate when supposed to
• VB-5593 - Settings page navigation menu doesn't work
• VB-5043 - View-source urls doesn't work in Vivaldi
• VB-4992 - Inline search doesn't globally register esc
• VB-4284 - Disable url prediction service break keyword search in url bar
• VB-3878 - Vivaldi can't be installed without admin privileges
• VB-1489 - Autocomplete on URL instead of nickname
• VB-5709 - Can no longer set new single-key shortcuts while they are disabled
• VB-5559 - Use tab “thumbnail” instead of “tooltip”
• VB-5446 - Add zoom UI slider to settings
• VB-4756 - Add option to disable mouse-gesture
• VB-5829 - Space does not work in settings search
• VB-5816 - Use vivaldi:settings URL instead of vivaldi:settingspage
• VB-5766 - Tab stack tooltip not highlighted on hover
• VB-4175 - Add support for changing start-page background
• VB-5922 - It is impossible to make form widgets focused with SpatNav active
• VB-5920 - Spatnav doesn't fire mouseleave event
• VB-5891 - Make tabs on the sides resizable
• VB-5373 - Auto-update for Vivaldi, on Mac OS

Last modified on Monday, 01 June 2015 17:08

Auto-update or Download links - »vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· and-more

Gone Fishing
Premium Member

Gone Fishing to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Snapshot 1.0.196.2 Spatial navigation improvement, Mac build fixes, Windows 64bits get auto-update

»vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· o-update

chachazz
Premium Member

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

Thanks, Gone Fishing See Profile. Have updated!

Gone Fishing
Premium Member

Gone Fishing to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Snapshot 1.0.201.2 Improvements to Search Engine Management, Spatial Navigation, Gray look and the foundations for customisable mouse gestures

»vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/ ··· gestures