spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

Timmn

[Anime] Funimation or Crunchyroll?

If you had to choose a premium membership between the two channels on a Roku box, which would you choose and why?

Or perhaps there is a third Roku Anime channel I haven't found yet?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Funimation, because the CR roku app is carp ever since the change.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Timmn

to Timmn
The problem isn't so much choosing the app, it's choosing the shows that you want to watch because shows are now exclusively licensed to one or the other of the services depending on where you live.

Current example:

Crunchyroll lists Absolute Duo among their slate of shows but it's not available here due to "licensing restrictions" but guess where you can see it? If you guessed Funimation you get an e-cookie.

Anime distribution has always been about exclusive deals, its more a question of who locks it up and therefore what service do you need to watch it.

NefCanuck

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

There are some shows on both though.

anonomeX
@comcast.net

anonomeX to Timmn

Anon

to Timmn
Funimation. Go premium with Funimation and you can still watch most stuff on Crunchyroll with ads; you randomly can watch an episode and not see any ads--seems to be little rhyme or reason as to why. (The latest episode for a series on Crunchyroll remains premium-only for awhile. There are a few series that have a lot of premium-only episodes though.) Go premium with Crunchyroll and on Funimation you can only watch the first four episodes for the available series (on the Roku--you can still watch further episodes using a web browser). The Funimation UI/player was recently, though subtly, updated (slightly improved actually).
(I wish Amazon offered an anime-only streaming option/add-on (for Prime). They have lots of anime for streaming, but almost none of it is included with Prime.)

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to Timmn

Premium Member

to Timmn
Really depends on what interests you more. Do you want dubs? If so, then Funimation is where you want to be, most of their library is on their app in both sub and dub form. CR is mostly sub, with a couple of dubs sprinkled in here and there, but it's not their focus.

CR usually gets more current seasons, with Funimation close behind, and some even overlap (Yona of the Dawn, Samurai Warriors, for example, are on both) CR usually signs 7 or 8 titles per season, Funi might get 5 or 6, including ones that overlap with CR, so they may really only get 3 or 4. Titles like Fairy Tail and One Piece, are on both. (not included in my numbers here)

Funimation recently started to do dub as it's released, kinda like Space Dandy, but it's a week or two behind the regular release. They're not doing it on everything, but some shows are getting this treatment.

At the end, you can't go wrong with either. Like someone else mentioned, buy a premium sub to Funimation, and use the free version with CR. For me, it's two computer jobs to pay for the yearly sub for both, I just hate ads, so it's worth it to me. Now that Funimation has a PS3 app, I'm happier, but my wife watches them both on Roku.