spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xmd
join:2009-06-25
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

[Internet] TWC Business Class - offered 50% off by haggling

In my area, TWC Business Class has good speeds, but crazy prices (e.g. $355/month for 35/5 on a 3 year contract). Yesterday I contacted them and told them I was cross shopping ATT Uverse (which has much cheaper prices). They countered with $180/month for 35/5 with a phone line, which seems much more reasonable. Unfortunately they never followed up with the email offer, so I'll probably have to contact them again.

A question: If I were to get TWC Business Class + Phone, can I still use my own modem or is that not possible? Does anyone know the make/model # of the modem they would provide?

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

I was told by 2 TWC techs that you cant you use your own modem at all for reason I dont know but they want techs to come out install the modem since there is an 100 dollar install fee and they install ubee modems.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to xmd

Premium Member

to xmd
Business Class will install their modem (router) -- there's no charge for it. Depending on the location, they may install a second modem and access-point for the TWCWifi. (they didn't here in a highrise office, but they did at my warehouse.)

Any phone service (business or residential) will be on their device so they have 100% control of it.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to treich

to treich
said by treich:

I was told by 2 TWC techs that you cant you use your own modem at all for reason I dont know but they want techs to come out install the modem since there is an 100 dollar install fee and they install ubee modems.

not so in all cases my hair salon happens to have or had a SBG6580 from TWC Business class here in North Texas so they don't always use Ubee modems anymore besides the Ubees are probably going to be phased out anyways for the DOCSIS 3.0 tiers above 100Mbps.
xmd
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

Does anyone know of the model # of the modem that would be installed for TWC Internet + Phone out in the San Diego area?
xmd

xmd

More info.

Background: I have 15/2 for about $100. Yesterday they offered 35/5 + phone for $180 but failed to follow up with confirmation.

Today I asked again:

Rep #1 : 12/1.5 for $199 (I pointed out this was slower and more expensive than my existing plan with them, and asked if I could speak to supervisor. She said "yes" then disconnected).

Rep #2 : 35/5 for $299.
Rep #2 (after I said "how about the 35/5 deal"?) came back with $145 for 35/5 with phone.

Maybe I'll check again tomorrow?

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to xmd

MVM

to xmd
said by xmd:

Does anyone know of the model # of the modem that would be installed for TWC Internet + Phone out in the San Diego area?

We have internet and phone from them, albeit not in the SD area, and have separate modems. I don't know or care if this is normal.... Maybe it's for redundancy ?
xmd
Carlsbad, CA

1 edit

xmd

Update - my new service was installed today.

Notable points:

* If you can't get a good deal on TWC Business-Class Internet, get a quote from ATT Uverse and ask TWC to price-match it. When I did this, the quoted price went from $355/month to $144/month.

* For business customers in my area, you get a separate device for Phone (Arris TM604G) and Internet (Arris DG1670). The DG1670 is a DOCSIS 3.1 3.0 modem so when my area finally gets upgraded to MAXX speedsI'll be ready will I be ready?

If anyone has questions, I'm happy to answer.

Edit : fix my wrong docsis 3.1 claim...

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

There is no Docsis 3.1 modem available in market and in cable co. The DG1670 is a Docsis 3 16x4 modem not a 3.1.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to xmd

Premium Member

to xmd
The 1670 is a DOCSIS 3.0 device. »www.arrisi.com/products/ ··· p?id=684
xmd
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

Sorry about the 3.1 mistake : I've edited my post.