uniqs

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

[WiFi] "Winter Storm Juno" xfinitywifi "support"?

Saw the above sidebar on the BCI forums.... It seems that out of the pure and wholesome goodness of their hearts, Comcast is letting anyone use "xfinitywifi" for free through the 31st in the Northeast.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Just found this news item about it too:

Xfinity WiFi Hotspots Open Through Noon Saturday
Thousands of Xfinity WiFi Hotspots in the Northeast Are Open for All

By Nicole M. Boudreau, Danbury CT Patch - January 27, 2015
»patch.com/connecticut/da ··· turday-0

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Thumbs up for Comcast! As a first responder it's really nice to be able to keep in touch with both co workers and the emergency operations center when cellular coverage may be overloaded or nonexistent or to avoid heavy data usage. Although I'm a Comcast customer, a lot of out of state mutual aid emergency workers may not be and the kind gesture is appreciated. Plus it's helpful in keeping in touch with the family during downtime.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to train_wreck

to train_wreck
they tend to do this during most major storms.

I was ready to mobilize and to drive 7 hours to go help Boston out for a span of about 6-7 days to help restore services, but most of the area has recovered with regards to power and cable, so they are calling off the reinforcements.

there are still TINY pockets without service, so its still nice to see this happening, I suspect everything to be back up by Sunday.