spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scottb908
join:2002-07-23
Terryville, CT

scottb908

[Internet] Forced Network Change

I just recently got a notice on my Uverse TV that a network change has occurred and that a reboot was required. I could do it now or it would automatically reboot in 2 hours. I dont like not knowing what changes have been done. Does anyone have a release notes of what update was pushed since I did not make any changes to the network settings myself

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by scottb908:

I just recently got a notice on my Uverse TV that a network change has occurred and that a reboot was required. I could do it now or it would automatically reboot in 2 hours. I dont like not knowing what changes have been done. Does anyone have a release notes of what update was pushed since I did not make any changes to the network settings myself

It usually shows up for me whenever my ISB7005 uses a different MAC address and needs to get a new IP. It's not an update, it's just a DHCP IP refresh.

You should be fine if you reboot .

Sometimes it even happens when your wireless access point changes channels if you have a wireless receiver. The message shows up for a few events I believe. It's not to worry about.
scottb908
Terryville, CT

scottb908

It was just odd, Ive had Uverse (with ATT and now Frontier) and have never seen this message before. I run a few DYN DNS dependent applications and didnt log an IP change.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by scottb908:

It was just odd, Ive had Uverse (with ATT and now Frontier) and have never seen this message before. I run a few DYN DNS dependent applications and didnt log an IP change.

When I said IP change, I was talking about the IP address for the receiver and not for your WAN.

Sometimes you can go a while without seeing it.

Is this a wired or wireless receiver?
scottb908
Terryville, CT

scottb908

This is a wired receiver that had the message, however when it was the network router that rebooted. Lost all network connectivity to all devices, looked at the router log and see that rebooted.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by scottb908:

This is a wired receiver that had the message, however when it was the network router that rebooted. Lost all network connectivity to all devices, looked at the router log and see that rebooted.

Yeah, that probably triggered it. It doesn't happen very often at all on wired receivers. You probably won't see it again anytime soon. By the way, do you have a 2Wire and received a firmware update? I haven't seen anyone get one on the 2Wires yet.
scottb908
Terryville, CT

scottb908

I am thinking its some update pushed from the provider, expecially since frontier just recently took over the ATT uverse here in CT. I dont know what the firmware was prior but this is a Pace 3801HGV running software ver 6.11.1.29-enh.tm

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by scottb908:

I am thinking its some update pushed from the provider, expecially since frontier just recently took over the ATT uverse here in CT. I dont know what the firmware was prior but this is a Pace 3801HGV running software ver 6.11.1.29-enh.tm

Yeah, that's the older firmware. You said your gateway rebooted? I wonder why it would reboot for no reason at all.
scottb908
Terryville, CT

scottb908

It only rebooted once I accepted the On Screen message. So thats why I am trying to find out what was pushed. I do a lot of IT work and have set up firewall rules for VPN and other devices. Everything looks intact so no idea what "network setting" changed

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by scottb908:

It only rebooted once I accepted the On Screen message. So thats why I am trying to find out what was pushed. I do a lot of IT work and have set up firewall rules for VPN and other devices. Everything looks intact so no idea what "network setting" changed

So your gateway rebooted once you clicked the message to reboot the receiver? Odd, I have never seen that happen before. Maybe just an odd occurrence?
scottb908
Terryville, CT

scottb908

possibly but I dont believe in coincidental occurrences

mitchell195
join:2012-03-25
Trumbull, CT
Juniper SRX220
Cisco Meraki MR16

mitchell195 to scottb908

to scottb908
Frontier has been doing quite a bit of work on the uplinks for the Lightspeed Network(U-Verse) between Rochester, NY & Wallingford,CT lately-maybe one of those changes required a network modification & it needed to reboot for some reason.

Since the video service is IPTV- They may have pushed a new call home server ip/hostname upon reboot to the rg/receiver or something like that.

Interesting item for someone to try-Unsure about this. Make a crossover cable & plug one end into your receiver with the other end plugged into a computer (Alternatively you could plug both into a standalone switch). Open wireshark & see what the dhcp discover packet looks like(What dhcp parameters the set-top is looking for). I bet some of the dhcp parameters the rg gives out to the stbs provides the set top boxes phone home server ip/hostname (the reason for rapid customer premise equipment reboots at time of conversion).

I would try but I do not have u-verse or subscribe to paid "live" tv .
Expand your moderator at work