spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mike_W
join:2010-06-10
Portland, OR

Mike_W

[TV] Question about FiOS TV/MOCA/Tivo

I've been a FiOS Internet subscriber in the Portland, OR area since about 2007. I'm not sure of the exact type of ONT on the side of my house, but I know that the WAN connection is over Ethernet. About 5 years ago (cancelled FiOS TV 3 years ago) I did have FiOS TV and the video was over coax, but the WAN was still over cat5. That's the background, now my questions......

I am about to install a new Tivo Roamio with 3 Tivo Minis along with one Frontier provided DVR. I use my own router and have no interest in using the Frontier provided router with the MOCA bridge. This is what I'm planning on doing and would like to hear feedback on this:

I am planning on creating a MOCA network using the Tivo Roamio's built-in MOCA bridge. The Tivo Roamio, Tivo Minis, Frontier DVR and Frontier ONT (video) will all connect to the MOCA network via coax. The Tivo Roamio will connect to my own router using Ethernet. The ONT WAN connection will remain connected to my router via Ethernet.

From all my reading I believe this should work. Am I overlooking anything.

Thanks.
wasvznowftr
join:2010-07-13

wasvznowftr

[TV] Re: Question about FiOS TV/MOCA/Tivo

I suspect that it won't work (guide/vod functionality for the FTR DVR).

If the Roamio manages the MoCA network, then will the Roamio see the FTR DVR as another one of its clients like the Minis? If it does, then will it pass along whatever IP data the FTR DVR needs through the Roamio? To accomplish this, wouldn't the Roamio essentially need full built-in routing capabilites? I would guess not.

Only one way to find out, good luck.

dianac
Premium Member
join:2014-06-13
Demarest, NJ

dianac to Mike_W

Premium Member

to Mike_W

Re: [TV] Question about FiOS TV/MOCA/Tivo

It will work fine. The Roamio will bridge its ethernet (or wireless) connection to MOCA, which is all the Frontier DVR needs to get everything it needs.
Mike_W
Portland, OR

Mike_W

said by dianac:

It will work fine. The Roamio will bridge its ethernet (or wireless) connection to MOCA, which is all the Frontier DVR needs to get everything it needs.

Thanks Diana. I'm still waiting for the Frontier FiOS install this Saturday, but I have my Roamio Plus and 3 Minis up and running on a MoCA network (using the Roamio's built-in bridge) with my own router.

The only thing I was unsure about, but am now convinced it should work, is connecting the Frontier DVR to my existing MoCA network.

cprgolds
Woof Woof
Premium Member
join:2000-12-22
Portland, OR
Asus RT-AC88
Asus RT-AC68

cprgolds to Mike_W

Premium Member

to Mike_W
@Mike_W -- I have a Roamio and 3 minis hooked up to Frontier. I still use the Frontier router, but I can't see any reason why your plan will not work. I also run a second router off of one of the FTR Router ports. All in all I am very pleased with the Roamio/Minis.

You won't be able to get Frontier's On-Demand or PPV over the TiVo stuff, but that may be a good thing.

Why the Frontier DVR? I'd ditch that too unless you have a specific reason for it.

You didn't mention tablets or cell phone access? TiVo wants to be on the same subnet for wireless to work well.
Mike_W
Portland, OR

Mike_W

said by cprgolds:

@Mike_W -- I have a Roamio and 3 minis hooked up to Frontier. I still use the Frontier router, but I can't see any reason why your plan will not work. I also run a second router off of one of the FTR Router ports. All in all I am very pleased with the Roamio/Minis.

You won't be able to get Frontier's On-Demand or PPV over the TiVo stuff, but that may be a good thing.

Why the Frontier DVR? I'd ditch that too unless you have a specific reason for it.

You didn't mention tablets or cell phone access? TiVo wants to be on the same subnet for wireless to work well.

I didn't want the Frontier DVR, but they said it's free for the first year and they wouldn't give me any credits if I declined it. So I decided to take it for one year, but it might never get used.

I know I won't get any On-Demand programming. Not a huge deal for me, but the Tivo does work with Comcast's On-Demand so maybe I'll change TV providers down the road if the need for On-Demand increases.

Everything will be on the same subnet and I have a slingbox for remote streaming in order to bypass all restrictions.