All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mkm1998
join:2014-06-20
Oceanside, CA

mkm1998

Ramifications of new FCC Broadband Definition?

I believe a majority of U-Verse users (such as myself) have been unsuccessful in getting U-Verse 45Mbps service at their homes. Whether it's a MDU situation, or outdated equipment, AT&T seems slow if not simply unwilling to upgrade/update their systems to accommodate this higher speed.

I'm just curious if anyone thinks the ruling gives us any hope in being able to push AT&T to upgrade, or at the very least give us more of a bargain. I currently have the highest tier available to me: Max Turbo at 24Mbps. This falls short of the 25Mbps definition of 'Broadband'.

So am I correct in thinking that U-Verse can no longer call my service 'Broadband'. Am must instead call it 'High Speed Internet'? What do we think if any will AT&T do in result of this ruling?

c0mc4st
join:2007-03-14
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

they might bump you up one more Mbps and call it a day... wiping hands "there, you're broadband" then chuckle to themselves as they increase the cost of your plan

MikeSF
@fusionbroadband.com

MikeSF to mkm1998

Anon

to mkm1998
Doubt it will do anything, AT&T isn't going to care if your 24Mbps service is actually called "Broadband" they'll simply call it "High speed internet" like what services like HughesNet does (and some of AT&T's legacy products/speeds).

My guess is that when the feds put up tax breaks, or grant money to push "broadband" into areas without it (rural specifically) they're not going to be able to get away with DSL services and collect their government check.

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated to mkm1998

Anon

to mkm1998
Prob nothing. Push them more to kill vanilla DSL and maybe push wireless a little more. They don't sell broadband or high speed right? They sell Uverse. I just want more than .5-1Mbps upstream on my max plus adsl2+ line. Like 3-5Mbps would be great. Or drop in a vdsl card on your way by, It's not asking a whole lot... Please and thank you!
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA

videomatic3 to mkm1998

to mkm1998
unsuccessful at getting a 45mbit connection, at least you can get 24mbit, i know some people with bpon uverse that cant get above 18mbit

its really sad how they leave fiber users in the dark age

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to mkm1998

Premium Member

to mkm1998
No one cares.

To the public "High Speed" says a lot more about what you are going to get then "Broadband".
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to mkm1998

to mkm1998
It's as the others mentioned: The FCC definition of "broadband" as 25/3 only really matters when a telco or cableco wants financial assistance setting up a network, usually in rural or otherwise "under-served" areas. (Which, the FCC has ways of defining.)

It has been a fairly long time since most of the telcos and cablecos have advertised their products as "broadband" -- and they're not asking for financial assistance maintaining their current networks.

So, it has no effect whatsoever on existing networks. The majority of AT&T's customers will continue to be unsuccessful in getting 45 megabit service for the same reason that all of the telcos have been able to sell service slower than 4 megabits before today. They're not classifying it as "broadband," and they're not asking for money to help set up new networks in that fashion.

anon1
@sbcglobal.net

anon1 to mkm1998

Anon

to mkm1998
Technically Max turbo 24mbps on FTTN qualifies as "broadband", the speeds are higher than advertised since they bumped it last year. It is now around 29.5/4.5 mbps.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to mkm1998

Premium Member

to mkm1998
It will make marketing/advertising more interesting...

I can only imagine how much more mud slinging the CableCos might do, saying the TelCos can't provide "Broadband"

I fully expect the CableCos to start calling their Internet packages above 25/3 "Broadband" at every opportunity, and that you can't get "Broadband" from the TelCo

We'll see
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

1 recommendation

Secyurityet to mkm1998

Premium Member

to mkm1998
So, call the company and ask them when they'll provide broadband to your area.