All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

[Equipment] Using OBiTALK Service without online registration...

It seems that I can use the local web interface to enable the OBiTALK Service on two OBis and then proceed to call OBi-to-OBi without ever 'registering' the devices with the OBiTALK cloud. OBiTALK Service Status is Normal (User Mode) (5).

I am pleasantly surprised. Are there any disadvantages to not adding an OBi device to their cloud?

OE

bitseeker
join:2014-03-05

bitseeker

Hmm, that is unexpected and interesting. Perhaps they register with the service behind the scenes?

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev to OzarkEdge

Premium Member

to OzarkEdge
Yep, you can do that, but in the past it has been discussed that even just having the OBiTALK Peer to Peer service enabled does allow them to manipulate your device, even if you haven't registered.

With any Obihai ATA or IP Phone, you can call other Obihai devices just by connecting a brand new unit to the Internet and dialing the appropriate numbers. Absolutely zero setup required if that's all you want to do.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge to bitseeker

to bitseeker
said by bitseeker:

Hmm, that is unexpected and interesting. Perhaps they register with the service behind the scenes?

Indeed. I like things that just work... my way.

OE
giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
Disadvantages to NOT adding the device to the cloud.

1) Can't setup Google Voice on the latest firmware accept through Obitalk. Not Obis fault(Google insisted on security upgrades). You can register the Obi to Obitalk, set up Google Voice, then remove the Obi from Obitalk.

2)Can't set up Ring.to.

3)Can't get some special pricing on some other services. ex. Phonepower

That's it! Anything else can be done locally although some things are harder to set up.

I have done some thinking about the way the new Google Voice setup works and I believe a second option is available without using Obitalk if you set up your own developer account. You should be able to create an auth token and upload it to your obi directly but no one has actually attempted it to my knowledge. There isn't a substantially motivating reason to do it unless Obi were to go out of business. OR curiosity/boredom.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge to Trev

to Trev
said by Trev:

Yep, you can do that, but in the past it has been discussed that even just having the OBiTALK Peer to Peer service enabled does allow them to manipulate your device, even if you haven't registered.

With any Obihai ATA or IP Phone, you can call other Obihai devices just by connecting a brand new unit to the Internet and dialing the appropriate numbers. Absolutely zero setup required if that's all you want to do.

Thanks for the info! I wonder what 'manipulate' could mean? They can't do much harm that I can't fix on short order as long as they don't push firmware updates.

OE
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

They can push firmware updates.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

But will they as a matter of regular operating procedure? If they did so in the past, was it singular and extenuating, or just a poor decision then?

OE
giqcass

giqcass

said by OzarkEdge:

But will they as a matter of regular operating procedure? If they did so in the past, was it singular and extenuating, or just a poor decision then?

It is possible even if you have auto updates off. There are 2 methods they can use. Option 1 is when autoupdate is on and the Obi looks for it. Option2 which I am only aware of them using one time on a mass scale is through a sip header over the Obitalk network. The only way to completely block them is to block Obitalk but it seems very unnecessary. The one time they did it generated a lot of negative comments and I suspect they would only do it again if it was a VERY important update.

Customer support sometimes uses the SIP header method on a one to one basis.
giqcass

2 edits

giqcass to OzarkEdge

to OzarkEdge
said by OzarkEdge:

Here is a link talking about it.
»www.obitalk.com/forum/in ··· c=3229.0

They never hid the fact that they could do it. It's clearly documented in one of the manuals.

EDIT: To completely stop them from doing anything to your Obi you can use these settings. I wouldn't worry about it personally.

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> Enable : (unchecked)
OzarkEdge
USA

1 edit

OzarkEdge

Thanks for the informative link!

It appears that the OBiTALK Service 'phones' home periodically, enabling Obihai to remotely access, configure, and/or update OBi device firmware no matter the state of other device settings or device registration on the OBiTALK Cloud.

Using the OBiTALK Service agrees to let Obihai perform remote ITSP Provisioning of your OBi device whenever and however they want. I don't recall signing up for this.

Remote ITSP Provisioning is acceptable when fully-disclosed by the one and only ITSP providing the equipment and service for which they are fully responsible. But that is not the case here. My OBi device currently hosts 4 service providers. And none of them are authorized to do what they want whenever they want with my equipment.

My SONY avr and my Asus router flash an icon when a firmware update is available. Obihai should do the same and no more.

I will live without the OBiTALK Service enabled.

Edit: Maybe a workaround is to add a second OBi110 dedicated to GV and OBiTALK and sporting a LINE port, and let Obihai have their silly way with it. I wonder how seamlessly an OBi202 and an OBi110 can be combined into one inbound/outbound solution.

OE
giqcass

giqcass

said by OzarkEdge:

Edit: Maybe a workaround is to add a second OBi110 dedicated to GV and OBiTALK and sporting a LINE port, and let Obihai have their silly way with it. I wonder how seamlessly an OBi202 and an OBi110 can be combined into one inbound/outbound solution.

To answer the question as to whether they work seamlessly together the answer is yes but you are over thinking the workaround in a couple ways.

1) You don't need OBITALK at all for Obis to call each other or for the devices to work together. Any SIP service could replace the OBITALK functions with a little bit of setup. Check out this link if you want to set up GV and then lock your Obi down after.
»www.obitalk.com/forum/in ··· c=8685.0
Once that is done you can sever you OBITALK ties completely.

2) If you wanted to use a second Obi as a gateway you don't need an Obi110. You can use any Obi in the middle. A physical connection isn't needed to do that. A virtual SIP connection can be made and used leaving you with an "Obi firewall" or an "OBI anonymous proxy".
OzarkEdge
USA

1 edit

OzarkEdge

said by giqcass:

To answer the question as to whether they work seamlessly together the answer is yes but you are over thinking the workaround in a couple ways.

1) You don't need OBITALK at all for Obis to call each other or for the devices to work together. Any SIP service could replace the OBITALK functions with a little bit of setup. Check out this link if you want to set up GV and then lock your Obi down after.
»www.obitalk.com/forum/in ··· c=8685.0
Once that is done you can sever you OBITALK ties completely.

2) If you wanted to use a second Obi as a gateway you don't need an Obi110. You can use any Obi in the middle. A physical connection isn't needed to do that. A virtual SIP connection can be made and used leaving you with an "Obi firewall" or an "OBI anonymous proxy".

Oh nooo, another OBi forum thread to sift through!

1) and 2) seem related.

I do understand how to use OBiTALK Provisioning to setup GV and then back out and return to using the local web interface. If I ever update beyond Build 4367 AND continue using GV, I may have to do this.

My primary interest in peer-to-peer is to use the remote OBi's voice services. You seem to be suggesting that I can reach a remote OBi without using the OBiTALK Service by using a virtual SIP connection. I shall look forward to learning how to do this... OBi-to-OBi and OBi-to-OBi-to-SIP or Google Voice sans OBiTALK Service.

OE
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

said by OzarkEdge:

My primary interest in peer-to-peer is to use the remote OBi's voice services.

OBiCfg (»Configuration Utility for OBi100/110/200/202/300/302) will generate the necessary DigitMaps for single-stage dialing between virtually any number of OBi devices, using either the OBiTALK network or direct SIP-to-SIP communications as the transport. Each OBi device can be a client, a gateway, or both.
OzarkEdge
USA

OzarkEdge

Thank you, RonR.

I think I've learned enough about OBi dial planning now that I should be able to work it out the hard way and integrate it into what I have. I just now have a remote OBi to collaborate with.

I appreciate knowing that it can be done... that will encourage me to dive in.

OE
giqcass

giqcass

said by OzarkEdge:

I appreciate knowing that it can be done... that will encourage me to dive in.

Dive in indeed. I have even managed to hook my Obi202 up to a HAM radio and use it as a VOIP to radio gateway. There is a lot you can do with an OBI and a little imagination.