Search similar:

uniqs

Termites
@cox.net

Termites

Anon

[Flooring] adhesive!!!

One simple question..

Would you use the Recommended Adhesive from the Maker of the Engineered flooring and if the installer doesn't use their Adhesive would you let them install it?

There's the plastic film under the Concrete(10 mill) but would you put something under that flooring? the Concrete is bone dry we had 4 inches of rain,
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned)

Is this a basement or just a single level foundation? Will the installer use some type of adhesive?

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to Termites

to Termites
Knowing the specific flooring to be used would make it an easier question to answer because it would allow those with reasonable flooring installation knowledge to look at the maker's instructions. You don't provide enough information about the product or the environment it is going to be installed in.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to Termites

Premium Member

to Termites
Just a post from very far afield. Forgive me if it is not relevant to your post:

I started a project with Home Depot to have them install a floor prior to the sale of a house. NONE of the installers recommended by HD were authorized by the manufacturer, although a half dozen authorized installers were located within 10 miles of the HD store. One of the non authorized installers wanted to do an asbestos campaign, even though to encapsulate the old floor would have been permissible.

I can only speak for me, but I would use what the manufacturer recommends, no question about it, even if it is a more expensive proprietary material. To do otherwise could present a warranty denial in the event of adhesion failure.

The concrete question is outside my realm of experience, and so I won't guess.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to 18189353

Anon

to 18189353
said by 18189353:

Is this a basement or just a single level foundation? Will the installer use some type of adhesive?

Sorry,Single level slab mannington Engineering wood Flooring.

They want to use Dirtac 7300.
But Recommended is Mannington ultra-spread EZ.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

They look to be very similar.

The mannington site has lots of docs, including warrantey, installation instructions. You should be able to get some help with the concrete issue, also determine if the warranty will be effective if a substituye adhesive is used.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites

Anon

said by harald:

They look to be very similar.

The mannington site has lots of docs, including warrantey, installation instructions. You should be able to get some help with the concrete issue, also determine if the warranty will be effective if a substituye adhesive is used.

Contacted the installers and Demanded them use what was recommended which is the (Mannington ultra spread EZ). The reason they don't use that adhesive it's Expensive as I pointed out the warranty would be VOID I like how they stated its mannington approved dritac 7300..

So at this point they will use the adhesive recommended. If they come with others I will Reject it.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Termites

to Termites
Make sure they don't show up with 1 pail and then switch to something else...
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to Termites

to Termites
The way I read it, using a different adhesive doesn't void the entire Mannington flooring warranty, just the warranty for the sub-floor bonding. »www.mannington.com/comme ··· y_v2.pdf. The Dritac 7300 carries it's own warranty for the subfloor bond. If you do have a bonding failure, you could end up with the companies pointing fingers at each other, but more than likely they will blame the installer for improper floor prep or improper application of the product.

Mannington doesn't make their own adhesives, but they require it for the subfloor bond warranty and fix the price on the product very high. All manufacturers do this with the glues and underlayments as it's a money maker for them, especially with the heavy competition in the flooring material pricing. No different than Dewalt saying you should use their compressor oil, even though it's identical to some generic brand. If you trust the installer, you might consider that his is trying to save you some money by using an equivalent product.

On the flip side, if his quote didn't state what adhesive he'd use then I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to use the recommended adhesive. Just don't be surprised if he passes the added cost onto you.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites

Anon

said by lawsoncl:

The Dritac 7300 carries it's own warranty for the subfloor bond. If you do have a bonding failure, you could end up with the companies pointing fingers at each other, but more than likely they will blame the installer for improper floor prep or improper application of the product.

Mannington doesn't make their own adhesives, but they require it for the subfloor bond warranty and fix the price on the product very high.

That's exactly what I would get myself into them pointing fingers at another and I don't want that.
Trust me I will make sure it's this adhesive and that they won't put the bait and switch trick...

This is the cost of mannington ultra spread EZ do you see now that they're not liking me the cost sure it's retail they get it wholesale but still costly.. »www.efloors.com/manningt ··· 8103.htm
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

1 edit

joewho to Termites

Premium Member

to Termites
Here's my short conversation with the rep at the link provided:

Elizabeth: Welcome to EFloors Support!
You: HI
You: What is the difference between Mannington EZ spread and dirtac 7300? Other than cost?
Elizabeth: What kind of flooring are you installing?
You: Mannington.
You: Engineered flooring.
Elizabeth: Then they recommend using their own adhesive for warranty purposes.
You: It appears that sub-floor bonding is the only warranty issue? Or does that mean everything?
You: If I install a mannington product but use dirtac, does it void the warranty on the engineered flooring?
You: I know the mannington adhesive is re-branded, commonly available adhesive.
You: Just worried about warranty.
Elizabeth: Yeah they might not approve a claim if you use a different adhesive
Elizabeth: I would suggest calling Mannington directly, they'll have more information than I do.
You: OK, Thank you for your time. I guess this is really a chemistry question.
Elizabeth: You're welcome
You: Have a good day. 5.

Have a nice day termite. 1.
lawsoncl
Spirit Lake, ID

1 edit

lawsoncl to Termites

to Termites
said by Termites :

This is the cost of mannington ultra spread EZ

Since Mannington is price fixing, I doubt they get it too much cheaper. How thick are the planks, and how many square feet are you doing? The Dritac label says 1/4" up to 1/2" takes 1 gallon per 50-sqft. »www.dritac.com/docs/7300 ··· hure.pdf. 1/2" to 3/4" is 1-gallon per 35 sqft (I thought most of the Mannington stuff was 9/16?).

At the 50sqft/gallon rate, that's $1/sqft versus 50-cents/sqft for the Dritac just for the glue. My prediction is that using the Mannington adhesive means they won't make any profit, and they'll either ask you to cover the price difference or walk away.
Expand your moderator at work

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to lawsoncl

Anon

to lawsoncl

Re: [Flooring] adhesive!!!

said by lawsoncl:

said by Termites :

This is the cost of mannington ultra spread EZ

Since Mannington is price fixing, I doubt they get it too much cheaper. How thick are the planks, and how many square feet are you doing? The Dritac label says 1/4" up to 1/2" takes 1 gallon per 50-sqft. »www.dritac.com/docs/7300 ··· hure.pdf. 1/2" to 3/4" is 1-gallon per 35 sqft (I thought most of the Mannington stuff was 9/16?).

At the 50sqft/gallon rate, that's $1/sqft versus 50-cents/sqft for the Dritac just for the glue. My prediction is that using the Mannington adhesive means they won't make any profit, and they'll either ask you to cover the price difference or walk away.

I think it's 3/8(1480 SQ Feet) that's exactly what they wanted more profit in their pockets but at the end of the day, the owner pays big time in the long Run, American oak (Homestead) »www.mannington.com/Resid ··· SL1.aspx
Am going a little O/T for a second like the Brandnew Heatpump I matched up model numbers what I payed for not that they put some crap there, so far it's going good 91% Complete.
Got the Honeywell Pro Vision 8000 thermostat.. Back on Topic!!!
Termites

Termites to joewho

Anon

to joewho
said by joewho:

Here's my short conversation with the rep at the link provided:

Elizabeth: Welcome to EFloors Support!
You: HI
You: What is the difference between Mannington EZ spread and dirtac 7300? Other than cost?
Elizabeth: What kind of flooring are you installing?
You: Mannington.
You: Engineered flooring.
Elizabeth: Then they recommend using their own adhesive for warranty purposes.
You: It appears that sub-floor bonding is the only warranty issue? Or does that mean everything?
You: If I install a mannington product but use dirtac, does it void the warranty on the engineered flooring?
You: I know the mannington adhesive is re-branded, commonly available adhesive.
You: Just worried about warranty.
Elizabeth: Yeah they might not approve a claim if you use a different adhesive
Elizabeth: I would suggest calling Mannington directly, they'll have more information than I do.
You: OK, Thank you for your time. I guess this is really a chemistry question.
Elizabeth: You're welcome
You: Have a good day. 5.

Have a nice day termite. 1.

yup and that won't be me !!!!!! You get what you pay for at the end.......
lawsoncl
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to Termites

to Termites
You might be more cynical than me! Depending on the market and time of year, contractors might be making very little profit, or they could be doing well if demand is high. Around here the new housing market slumped after a huge new construction boom, so we're overloaded with builders. They're either folding up shop or running at a loss just to have work, hoping to outlive everyone else until the market recovers.

A carpet installer friend of mine says he makes 5-8% profit on the job once he's done paying his guys labor, insurance, time he put in for quoting and getting materials. He also cursed the outfits that substitute a cheaper pad than what the customer paid for.

I ran across this installation labor calculator. Seems pretty thorough, much better than my rough estimate of $3/sqft for install labor.
»www.rempros.com/hardwood ··· ost.html
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to Termites

Premium Member

to Termites
So are they raising the price? Are you going to pay?
Sounds very expensive to me.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites

Anon

said by joewho:

So are they raising the price? Are you going to pay?
Sounds very expensive to me.

Nope toke then use the Recommended or not going down.
They agreed...