Search similar:

uniqs
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

1 edit

LittleBill to techguyga

to techguyga

Re: [Electrical] Poco Name Change

i can hit 2k here in the winter with full electric, bill averages 250 in winter or little less

our heat is not on very high
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned) to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
You're right, I don't have a heat pump. I live in the midwest where it would be insane to use a heatpump.
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Last month I paid $288 for 1087KWH. I wish I had the rates most of you have.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

(plus the paint jobs on all the trucks,

Usually isnt it a wrap not a paint job?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

Folks around the vicinity of KY pay around 8 cents per kWh. No one will argue that to live in MA, CT, or NY is usually painfully expensive. I'd be gone tomorrow if the wife would come along, but she has extensive family here, and my arm twisting has yet to be effective in moving out of this wealthy man's land. I haven't given up yet though.

Pretty good guess! Our bill last once was $0.0791/kw. We have a 3400 ft.² home on the outskirts of Louisville with gas heat and hot water. Our total bill last month was $285 but we were extremely cold and most of December.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

then why was your bill 285? if your main heating is gas?

our rate is similar and use electric for everything?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
only used 200kwh for 3 people 800sq feet
WE use normal incandescent bulbs as well
halogen incandescent
if we used energy"saver" bulbs it would be 1/2 that but I'm allergic to them..

(use of them may cause eye strain and headaches for me )
they also tend to screw with my sleeping pattern ....

Also the reason why I used saver in quotes is because they tend to waste more power as the bulb is more then likely NOT to be turned off when the room is left

there for wasting more power.

A typical energy "saver" bulb will cost you $10-20(depending on your rate) a month to run at 12 hours a day
or about 80 to 100kwh a month

peak usage is 600kwh in the summer months.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

You must have gas everything (water heater, stove, dryer, and heat).

Everything here I mentioned above is electric. That's why I have to take drastic energy conservation measures.

I wonder what my true costs would be if the water heater, heat, and possibly the dryer were moved over to gas.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

my brother has all electric at his bill is between $30 -$50 but his rates are very cheap about 0.07 kwh

also the water heater is in the middle of his apartment so no heat is "lost" to the outside.

typical day it's about 50F in his apartment . in the winter. he is on the 2nd floor so free heat from down below
RickWakeman
join:2013-06-23
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

RickWakeman

said by Anonymous_:

my brother has all electric at his bill is between $30 -$50 but his rates are very cheap about 0.07 kwh

also the water heater is in the middle of his apartment so no heat is "lost" to the outside.

typical day it's about 50F in his apartment . in the winter. he is on the 2nd floor so free heat from down below

That's what I call living the dream.
Expand your moderator at work

omgwut
@optonline.net

omgwut

Anon

Re: [Electrical] Poco Name Change

Okay so a bill $50 over normal is a bank buster (yet $100 light bulbs aint? rofl)

You have electric heat, you have a bill (that you did not post) that would show a break down of charges...

Ya it's all for the name change and paint (something that likely is done out of the advertising budget anyway)

I think the bill would tell you what is behind the charge.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy:

You're right, I don't have a heat pump. I live in the midwest where it would be insane to use a heatpump.

It would only be insane if you had gas. Heatpumps work just fine even in 10F temperatures. Hell my units put out decent heat even at 0F...
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

The A/C is actually CHEAPER to run.

No big surprise there. An air conditioner actually moves more heat than the amount of power it consumes.

Perhaps a heatpump system (effectively an air conditioner running in reverse) would be advantageous in the long run. Much more efficient than resistive heat (baseboard heaters) since a heatpump can bring in more heat than what it consumes.

annnnnon
@mycingular.net

annnnnon to LittleBill

Anon

to LittleBill
said by LittleBill:

then why was your bill 285? if your main heating is gas?

our rate is similar and use electric for everything?

LG&E bills both gas and electric on a single invoice.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
1450 sq ft raised ranch; fully finished basement... So about 2900 sq ft in total.

Last months bill was for 1079 kWh... $215 bill. I heat with forced-air gas; gas hot water, as well - that's another 95/mth.

Your usage seems a bit high for the size; but bill isn't crazy, IMO.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned) to cowboyro

to cowboyro
Except the temperature in Iowa frequently stays below 0F for long periods of time. No one in Iowa has a heat pump. I'd never even heard of one before visiting here.

And everyone in Iowa heats with gas, either NG or Propane depending on city vs rural.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
My electric bill for my 2400 sq feet contempary (heated mostly via heatpump - especially one cold weekend where the furnace needed repair and the heatpump ran 24 hours a day) -Dec 26 - jan 26, 2605 kwh, $205. EVERYTHING except the cooktop (and the gas furnace when running correctly) is electric, and I'm on a well as well. This looked like a typical summer bill for me for the amount of time the heatpump was running.

And yes - I'm on a Time of Use rate plan.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy:

Except the temperature in Iowa frequently stays below 0F for long periods of time. No one in Iowa has a heat pump. I'd never even heard of one before visiting here.

And everyone in Iowa heats with gas, either NG or Propane depending on city vs rural.

And I've never seen an oil burner until I moved to New England.

Like I've said before I'd probably convert grandma's house to a heat pump with propane backup (hybrid system) if I inherit it. I'm not a big fan of oil heat myself. I'd also like the ability to have central A/C and run a dual fuel stove (electric oven with gas cooktop).
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
My son works for the POCO. Anyway long story short i had crazy bills and kept complaining to him. After about 2 years of him telling me to STFU and pay my bill he finally came over. I went down and turned the breakers off one at a time. Everyone slowed it down alot. Any one light would make it spin crazy fast. He finally agreed to swap the meter out. Since swapping my meter my bill decreased at least 100 dollars a month. Of course he still swears the old meter was ok. Now he claims the newer meters under meter the electricity. I dont buy it. My meter was saying i was using a lot more than i was. FWIW you can get on a budget plan with them where it averages your usage. My bill went from around 300 plus to less than 200 with a meter swap

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

I have a very good friend that works for the POCO in their meter dept. He says a mechanical meter never is fast being a mechanical device they always register less and less due to wear on the rotating components. My son in law had one that the disc would stop two or three times every revolution. He got by with it for several years before they caught it. He had to pay back a years worth that they estimated which was not outrageous.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Like I've said before I'd probably convert grandma's house to a heat pump with propane backup

If you already have the ductwork, converting to a heatpump/propane setup would probably pay for itself within 3 years. A cheaper do-it-yourself setup like »www.sears.com/ductlessai ··· ?prdNo=2 would probably pay for itself within a year.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Wow, that seems outrageous. I have Met-Ed here in eastern PA and our last bill listed the "price to compare" was 6.9 cents per kWh.

Why not switch to a budget billing plan? We have the "equal payment plan" - they estimate an amount based on previous usage and spread the payments out throughout the year. It's adjusted quarterly.

umwut
@optonline.net

umwut

Anon

Why tell the guy to switch to budget billing when all that does is average out your bills you still got the SAME bill for that month... just you only paid part of it... OP can afford it guy buys $100 light bulbs...

All budget does it hide the huge bills with the small bills...
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Jack in VA

Premium Member

to Jack in VA
Thats basically what my son said who also works at the POCO. Of course its impossible for him to explain why my new meter dropped my bill by 100 dollars. It was also impossible for him to explain how with all the breakers turned off just turning one on with a 60 watt bulb made it spin so fast.

At the end of the day im left with they just dont want to admit a meter can over read electric use. He says its impossible and i say bullshit. Mine was proof it can happen. Just think what they are saying. Doesnt even make sense. Less restriction equals meter turning faster, not slower
rody_44

rody_44 to umwut

Premium Member

to umwut
Im on budget. I can afford it but it makes more sense to me to spread out the amounts. Im thinking twice about it now tho as thanks to them overcharging me all these years im 600.00 ahead on my budget. Im not so happy about them owing me money at all. I can only wish i had Met Ed. You guys get a much smaller bill than us PPL and peco electric bills.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
I worked in Electrical/Electronic/Process Instrumentation for 35 years. Process Instrument Electronic/Pnumatic/Distributed Control certification so I do know a little about it. I say to you post copies of your electric bills. Before and after meter change out. Your son is right.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Click for full size
Only been three months. As you can see alltho poorly my budget is already ahead just short of 600.00 dollars. Bills were 280 to 300. Now my actual usage is less than 200 every month since. This bill which i will try to get something you can read the actual usage was 150 .41. Budget amount was lowered this month to 192. I shred old bills. But can try to get any pictures you want from this bill. Found a part that says dec 2013 usage was 2047 kwh dec 2014 was 1295. PRETTY DAM BIG CHANGE IN MY OPINION.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to rody_44

to rody_44
Met Ed doesn't have any smart meters yet though. We are paying a fee every month to supposedly fund them. But it's only like $1.25.

Our meter is only read every other month, so the budget plan is better anyway. Yes we can afford it but it avoids sticker shock this way.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to Jack in VA

Premium Member

to Jack in VA
Click for full size
Here you go DEC 2013 was 2047 kwh, Dec 2014 was 1295 kwh. 2014 was 2 degrees colder than 2013. What changed you ask. My got dam meter and you sound like my son. LOL Of course now he is going with my new smart meter is under reading it. FWIW i dont even have electric heat and was paying that high of bills. No kids either, just me and the wife. I think anyone would be hard pressed to drop electric usage by 40 percent. I can match them months up for another 9 months or until history stops reading my old meter. My son came back a couple a days later and did some rough math. He just shook his head and said wow your bill is going to be a lot lower. And it has been. He works for the POCO but he is only a couple of credits from having his degree to be a electrical engineer. He goes nights part time.