uniqs

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

4 recommendations

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them.

»blog.emsisoft.com/2015/0 ··· er150127

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

2 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

+1 for the link actually being a one page list, and not a slideshow.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

2 recommendations

Nanaki (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
I remember when download.com was a great site for freeware. While much was ad supported such as one of my all time fave aps flashget those ads were contained with in the program as a banner along the top. Often worth while programs services etc would show up some i grabbed others i did not hell even had a paid email account from one advert i loved that account. But they died when gmail hit the scene.
At one point in time download.com was so safe you basically did not need to worry about pups spyware or viruses from any thing there. You went you searched you dled you installed. Now hoops to jump through to avoide infection no nothing but easy fast downloads. Just like cnet and zdnet use to be good sites for information and news related to computers and electronics. Now they to are trash.

I have ro problems with ad supported programs when those ads are in the program in a banner in said program and do not generate popups. Hell if i like your program i might try to buy a bit of computer hardware from new egg or amazon or what ever using your referal code. I still have a large list of referer urls for various websites i frequent. When i need or want to buy something from say newegg etc i pick one from my list and paste in to my browser. But don't you even think of trying to install crap on my comp 1 you'll fail 2 your site will be for ever avoided.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

3 recommendations

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I've gotten to the point for awhile now that if there is no portable version available,I refuse to use the app.

And if the download site refuses to load with javascript disabled......I don't even bother with it.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned)

heh i have a few portable programs i keep on a 2gb flash drive. 2xexplorer notepad++ few others and lots of stinger apps for various hard to remove but common viruses. Basically if there is a stinger type tool for removing a given virus i have it on my drive. I have well over 1 gb of just those on that drive. Also lots of .bat files to quickly remove some garbage windows scripting host scripts registry fixes for common foul ups etc make up most of the rest. I think at the moment i might have like 200 mb free on the thumb drive.

The part that is best about it is it was a geek squad branded thumb drive that i put a label on the other side that says simply sucks in the geek squad oval :0

I keep it and a best buy mini rewards card on the same key chain which is quite the riot when they notice the 2 sides of the drive hehe.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Like this?
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

2 recommendations

Nanaki (banned)

LOL yup but when you plug ine in it says best buy geek squad sucks as a label
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
Great article... and 2nd camper See Profile , no slideshow / flash / script / etc crap to flip through. Just information.

Regards

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

2 recommendations

antdude to camper

Premium Member

to camper
But the URL is too long! »blog.emsisoft.com/2015/0 ··· id-them/ did not need its tracking ?ref=newsbox_ticker150127&utm_source=software&utm_medium=newsbox&utm_content=ticker150127&utm_campaign=newsbox_ticker150127 parameters.
antdude

1 recommendation

antdude to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

I remember when download.com was a great site for freeware. While much was ad supported such as one of my all time fave aps flashget those ads were contained with in the program as a banner along the top. Often worth while programs services etc would show up some i grabbed others i did not hell even had a paid email account from one advert i loved that account. But they died when gmail hit the scene.
At one point in time download.com was so safe you basically did not need to worry about pups spyware or viruses from any thing there. You went you searched you dled you installed. Now hoops to jump through to avoide infection no nothing but easy fast downloads. Just like cnet and zdnet use to be good sites for information and news related to computers and electronics. Now they to are trash.

I have ro problems with ad supported programs when those ads are in the program in a banner in said program and do not generate popups. Hell if i like your program i might try to buy a bit of computer hardware from new egg or amazon or what ever using your referal code. I still have a large list of referer urls for various websites i frequent. When i need or want to buy something from say newegg etc i pick one from my list and paste in to my browser. But don't you even think of trying to install crap on my comp 1 you'll fail 2 your site will be for ever avoided.

I miss the old days too. Not just the web sites, don't forget programs that require to be online and sharing your data (EULAs are too complicated). Those are bad too. I always test software offline without network to see if they still work and not go wacky since I WILL block their phone homes if not required.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

1 recommendation

85160670 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Saw some reputation site try to give PUP aswell {{{ GRIN }}} Our awareness bar need always high on alert !!!

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

Triple Helix to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Only if we could teach all the people to watch and uncheck all PUP's when installing software. The systems I clean nothing but PUP's thanks for AdwCleaner and other such tools.

TH

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 recommendation

Cartel to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
most things I crack open with 7zip and extract the files I want.
the toolbars and stuff can get bent

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

2 recommendations

cb14 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Unchecky is pretty useful.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Say it right useful for now. Give them time they will find a way to get around it. Like uncheck to install.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
»www.howtogeek.com/207692 ··· e-proof/
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That's a depressing article. I mean the article YOU link to not the original article which I found boring. As I read it I was thinking that I almost never install anything in recent years except addons from Mozilla's addon site. So, this seems rather moot to me as I can't think of any software I want to install besides what I have already. For instance, why in the world would I want a "free" download manager? Fx has a bunch at Addons site if I don't like the Fx, SeaMonkey, Pale Moon built in download manager.

I disagree that Majorgeeks and Softpedia should put warnings higher up on the page. Users need to read otherwise they will pay the consequences.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Yea its 1 reason I do not like INSTALLERS... I try to find ZIPs or the EXEs themselves....

YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THEY MIGHT TRY!! (Especially with FREE stuff TODAY!!)
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to Mele20

to Mele20

Re: Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them.

I have yet to see any crapware pushed with any thing from majorgeeks. So not sure where that came from.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Indeed ...." Yes, Every Freeware Download Site is Serving Crapware (Here's the Proof)".....[ »www.howtogeek.com/207692 ··· e-proof/ ]

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
i use Universal Extractor to extract the contents of setup files downloaded but not executed, when i am approached by PUP riddled piece of software.
while this method does not always work, it works enough times to "strip out" PUP from setup files.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
And installers from a good known source like Java love trying to push toolbars....
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Really? I've never had Java update pushing anything. However, I get my Java from here:

»www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· 261.html

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

There's a checkbox on the Java control panel app that allows you to specify whether or not you want to be asked about installing the toolbar du jour.

Also, during an install, if you turn down the toolbar once, that seems (in my experience) to be persistent across future updates.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What in the world is "toolbar du jour"? Never heard of it and I've had Java since Windows 98. There is no checkbox on the Java Control panel about "toolbar du jour". Sounds me like you have malware. I have java 7 update 75.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

What in the world is "toolbar du jour"?

I was being a bit glib. "du jour" means "of the day", meaning whichever toolbar the Java installer is pushing that day.

here is no checkbox on the Java Control panel

Open the Advanced tab, and scroll to the very bottom. You'll see an option about sponsor offers.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
»www.zdnet.com/article/a- ··· updates/

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to camper

Premium Member

to camper
Tired of unchecking unrelated offers while installing software?
Note: I am not at all affiliated with Unchecky, I just suggest it to people who are tired of the crap that's foisted on them when they install stuff.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to chip89

to chip89
I have to laugh a foist ware a total on a site where foist ware is common practice. Let's not forget ZDNet CNET and download.com are all part of the same company and all owned by CBS. I've known about java and the tool bars for ever.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
For how to avoid it/them, how about not using Windows (using *nix and or Mac)?