spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MaxxOOL
@optonline.net

MaxxOOL

Anon

Ping Spikes

I have a small issue that has been occurring for quite a while now. My ping times are typically great (6ms-13ms) when pinging google.com. Fairly often, the ping time will spike to 30ms-60ms for a response. I'm fairly certain it's happening at the modem's gateway, since I can ping the 69.113.88.1 from either my work or my home and see the same results. Normally it's not a big deal, but it's annoying because it actually be noticeable when playing street fighter online

Is this something OptOnline would actually look at it or would they consider it normal performance?
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

If this happens on a ping to your router's WAN IP then the issue is in your home. Does it happen on a wired connection direct to your modem? Also try using another PC/device and see if the same spikes happen.

MaxxOOL
@optonline.net

MaxxOOL

Anon

No, like i said it happens at the modem's gateway which I listed in my post.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

1 edit

frdrizzt

You also said pings to the public IP, which I assumed to be your CPE IP, but now I see is not, had the same results, which I presumed meant spikes to 30-60 ms to your router from inside & outside the network.

How frequent is the increase in latency? Every few pings when it happens, or same rate 24/7? Does the extra latency carry forward in traceroutes or pings to destinations outside of the gateway, or is it just the one hop? Is this during any other large download or upload? Are your speedtest results ok while this is occurring?

edit: I just checked and saw that public IP is your default gateway, and not 192.168.100.1 for the modem, so that is not related to your modem in any way. You are having issues with latency to your default gateway, which is in CV's facility in East Quogue. Is your work nearby where you may be on the same node, or not possible?

MaxxOOL
@optonline.net

MaxxOOL

Anon

I work out in Bohemia, but also on OOL. It's actually great today, almost no fluctuations, but I'm sure it'll come back. I might just see what I can get out of OOL, it'll be difficult though.