Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Bad news for Rogers Hockey

said by elwoodblues:

Now the best part? That $12b is in US dollars, and the dollar is now worth about 25% less then it when the deal was made.

Guy Laurence to his staff : "Exit stage left"

tack on $3 b additional pain , looks good on em

HIHIHI
@206.177.43.x

HIHIHI to Kardinal

Anon

to Kardinal
An acceptable argument, had they not blacked out oilers and flames games while living in Toronto. I guess cities 4000km's away are still considered "Toronto's" regions.

Blackouts are the epitome of arrogance. It is the antithesis of trying to gain views and promoting the game.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by HIHIHI :

An acceptable argument, had they not blacked out oilers and flames games while living in Toronto. I guess cities 4000km's away are still considered "Toronto's" regions.

I think you've got things backwards. Regional broadcasts are only available to people IN-region for the NHL.

If you were living in Toronto, you're in the Leafs region, not the Flames or Oilers region, so you get the Leafs regional broadcasts and not the Flames or the Oilers.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to Mark

to Mark
The dollar tanking will affect the blue jays payroll the most.

HIHIHI
@206.177.43.x

HIHIHI to bt

Anon

to bt
said by bt:

said by HIHIHI :

I think you've got things backwards. Regional broadcasts are only available to people IN-region for the NHL.

If you were living in Toronto, you're in the Leafs region, not the Flames or Oilers region, so you get the Leafs regional broadcasts and not the Flames or the Oilers.

Actually, when i was using game centre live 2 years ago, tried to watch an Oilers game, and it said black out restrictions in effect due to being in the teams region. We now have sportsnet east west north south up down inside outside therefore we're always in the region IF you have a tv package, therefore anything online is now blacked out.

i should have clarified.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by HIHIHI :

Actually, when i was using game centre live 2 years ago, tried to watch an Oilers game, and it said black out restrictions in effect due to being in the teams region.

Oh, Game Centre Live. That's a bit different. I thought you meant on TV.

I'm guessing it was a national broadcast. 2 years ago, Canadian national broadcasts were blacked out on GCL for users in Canada.

Rogers has changed that this year - Canadian national broadcasts are available to GCL viewers in Canada now.
said by HIHIHI :

We now have sportsnet east west north south up down inside outside therefore we're always in the region IF you have a tv package, therefore anything online is now blacked out.

That's not true at all. It's all about where you live and not what channels you have in your TV package.

eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
I was listening to Bob McCowan (sportsnet radio) and who ever the guests were, and they were going on how the CRTC's mandate and reason for its creation was to protect the business and corporate interests, and how now they are protecting the consumer interests and how wrong it is.

That the government focusing on consumer rights is not right, and that the company should be able to make as much money as they can off of us. They even took a shot at Bell Media as whiners for not bidding enough for the NHL rights.

He also believes that the world cup of hockey that Rogers has won the rights to should have gone to Rogers anyway because of how much Rogers is losing on the 12 year deal. That Bell should have had no right in the bidding process, they also took a shot at the Globe and Mail for coming out with the fact that Bell didn't win the bidding process and all Bell cares about is the need to fill their precious time slots.

It was a Rogers love in, but it was ok they started off by saying they just work at Rogers but are not shills, but only believe that Rogers is right.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

said by eweazel:

the company should be able to make as much money as they can off of us

said by eweazel:

world cup of hockey that Rogers has won the rights to should have gone to Rogers anyway because of how much Rogers is losing on the 12 year deal. That Bell should have had no right in the bidding process

Isn't the NHL a company that should be allowed to make as much money as they can of us (in this case Rogers shill McCowan)?

It's going to be a long 11 and a half years...

At least with a service available, and much talked about here, one can by-pass Rogers and still get NHL GameCenter Live from the NHL itself with no restrictions or blackouts imposed.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by markf:

tAt least with a service available, and much talked about here, one can by-pass Rogers and still get NHL GameCenter Live from the NHL itself with no restrictions or blackouts imposed.

I have a question about this (as I've done this myself). When you use an NHL.com account (opposed to a rogers account). Nothing seems to be blacked out this year. I usually watch Red Wings games and I can still watch them when they play the Canucks (which would usually be blacked out).

I know Roger's removed many of the blackouts as they own the rights to both TV and Streaming. IE national games are no longer blacked out. Do they still block regional games on the Rogers version? Is having the NHL version something they didn't think of, and thus it's an easy way to circumvent local blackouts? I don't have the rogers version so it's hard to know if Roger's stopped blackouts or if it's because no one's bothering to Administer the NHL version.

I was pretty surprised Roger's didn't try and turn off nhl logins all together. NHL charges different prices depending on what country to come from. It's really easy to signup and make it think your in Russia or Europe and get a much cheaper price.

I suppose the NHL put pressure on them so that roaming customers could still watch hockey when going into Canada, but it's a significant loophole that's probably costing Rogers money....

HIHIHI
@206.177.43.x

HIHIHI

Anon

said by zod5000:

said by markf:

tAt least with a service available, and much talked about here, one can by-pass Rogers and still get NHL GameCenter Live from the NHL itself with no restrictions or blackouts imposed.

I have a question about this (as I've done this myself). When you use an NHL.com account (opposed to a rogers account). Nothing seems to be blacked out this year. I usually watch Red Wings games and I can still watch them when they play the Canucks (which would usually be blacked out).

I know Roger's removed many of the blackouts as they own the rights to both TV and Streaming. IE national games are no longer blacked out. Do they still block regional games on the Rogers version? Is having the NHL version something they didn't think of, and thus it's an easy way to circumvent local blackouts? I don't have the rogers version so it's hard to know if Roger's stopped blackouts or if it's because no one's bothering to Administer the NHL version.

I was pretty surprised Roger's didn't try and turn off nhl logins all together. NHL charges different prices depending on what country to come from. It's really easy to signup and make it think your in Russia or Europe and get a much cheaper price.

I suppose the NHL put pressure on them so that roaming customers could still watch hockey when going into Canada, but it's a significant loophole that's probably costing Rogers money....

I don't have a rogers gcl account so i can't say, but all i know is that when i log into nhl.com, it'll redirect me to rogers gcl ( geotagging most likely ) and you have to have a rogers gcl account. do you have rogers in BC? if not then you're not in a rogers zone so you proably get regular nhl.com after logging in ( i believe ).

when i have my smartdns going, then it'll default to regular nhl.com and i am able to watch my games.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

said by markf:

Here's the thing, in theory folks are supposed to sign up for the service in whatever region they are living

IE: you live in Canada - Through Rogers, Rest of the World - NHL.com (I think, as I haven't heard of any overseas broadcaster buying streaming rights as well, only Rogers here at home)

I think the reason that Rogers didn't simply force all sign ins via their portal rather than NHL.com has more to do with teh (lack of) robustness of their portal, it seems to be more down than up at times.

Now the fact that people are willing to "geoblock dodge" to get a cheaper price / fewer restrictions is not something I'll comment on except to say "Enjoy it while it lasts" because eventually they will discover a way to block the "easy" methods of dodging geoblocking.

As to blackouts, there's something screwy going on, because initially Rogers announced that anyone on Game Centre Live after Dec 31/14 would require a TV subscription for in-market games that they had exclusive rights to (IE: In my case Maple Leafs) and that anything owned by TSN I was SOL for.

Since then not only have I gotten in market games that Rogers owns thru GCL, on at least two occasions that I can remember, they forgot to blackout the TSN Leafs broadcast.

I think they're having some growing pains and frankly I wish they would just jack the price up another $50 a year, remove all these stupid artificial restrictions and call it a day.

NefCanuck