Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to cbs

Premium Member

to cbs

Re: Increase in Regional Sports Fee + New Broadcast Networks Fee

said by cbs:

"...one of the largest and most diverse channel lineups" reminds me of the "hundreds of dollars of 'free' software" that used to come preloaded on personal computers

Um you guys were the ones who requested (in fact demanded and continue to do so) lots of these channels....lets be real here ...everytime a new channel comes out I get pounded with requests...this is somewhat self imposed bloat if we're being real about things. Oh and they still come with all that software btw. All kidding aside I understand how you feel I just don't have any easy answers right now....

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

True, but a big reason why there is a huge lack of competition in many areas is because of the political moves that many cable companies and telco companies pull. No one can argue that competition in our country is minimal in most areas.

Areas throughout our country that have 3 or more providers in an area almost always have more competitive pricing structures. I am pleased with Brighthouse, they're probably the best cable provider in the country (in my opinion) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see more competition to help drive prices down a bit. The stranglehold on services and the huge increase in pricing when dropping one or two services from a three service bundle basically eliminates any advantage to doing so. This isn't a dig on Brighthouse, but on the industry in general.

And it's amazing how far those prices manage to drop once true competition hits an area too....
quote:
The day had finally arrived. After months watching construction crews work their way towards the house she and her boyfriend rent in Rochester, N.Y., Brenda Ververs called Time Warner Cable to cancel service. She thought it would take five minutes to dispense with a barely-tolerated relationship she has maintained with the cable company for nearly 20 years. Instead, she got a retention offer too good to dismiss out of hand.

Greenlight Networks, an East Rochester-based fiber overbuilder has been slowly expanding its footprint into a handful of neighborhoods in Rochester and its suburbs, providing 100/20Mbps service for $50 or 1,000/100Mbps for $250 a month. But only a fraction of area residents have heard of the company and even fewer qualify to sign up for their service.

quote:
Other customers have told Stop the Cap! Time Warner alternates between recognizing Greenlight as a legitimate competitor worth their respect and one that cannot be trusted with your business. But the customer retention effort eventually ends up in the same place %u2014 offering customers drastic rate cuts to stay with the cable company.

"They asked me why I would consider switching to Greenlight for $50 for 100Mbps broadband-only service when for $69 they will give me 50/5Mbps service, cable television, and phone service for two years," Ververs said. "They emphasized it was less than $20 more for all three services from Time Warner vs. $50 for Internet-only service from Greenlight. They even promised a free upgrade to 100Mbps when it arrives in Rochester sometime this year."

Some departing customers are also being offered modem fee waivers and free extras, like premium movie channels and expanded international free long distance calling.

»stopthecap.com/2015/02/0 ··· -cancel/

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

3 recommendations

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by cbs:

"...one of the largest and most diverse channel lineups" reminds me of the "hundreds of dollars of 'free' software" that used to come preloaded on personal computers

Um you guys were the ones who requested (in fact demanded and continue to do so) lots of these channels....lets be real here ...everytime a new channel comes out I get pounded with requests...this is somewhat self imposed bloat if we're being real about things. Oh and they still come with all that software btw. All kidding aside I understand how you feel I just don't have any easy answers right now....

Everyone has their own tastes of what channels they want, I think what many would like (at least I know I would) is package choices similar to what other providers offer. I realize this is easier said than done but I think it would be a great addition to the pricing structure

Mosalar
join:2014-02-08
Tampa, FL
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66
Asus RT-AC56

3 recommendations

Mosalar

said by gigahurtz:

Everyone has their own tastes of what channels they want, I think what many would like (at least I know I would) is package choices similar to what other providers offer. I realize this is easier said than done but I think it would be a great addition to the pricing structure

I would love to not pay for/opt out of at least 200 channels that are included in my package. Or trade off channels for a different net tier.

Tiredofit
@bhn.net

Tiredofit

Anon

Great, I see it's not even been a year & this ridiculous fee is doubling to $2.00. Tired of paying for channels I don't ever watch. Let those who want to watch all the sports stuff pay the freight and leave the rest of us alone please !!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Tiredofit :

Great, I see it's not even been a year & this ridiculous fee is doubling to $2.00. Tired of paying for channels I don't ever watch. Let those who want to watch all the sports stuff pay the freight and leave the rest of us alone please !!

The RSN was introduced this time last year so it has been a year.
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

bighorn1

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

The RSN was introduced this time last year so it has been a year.

You mean RSN fee, right?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Yep

meiwue2
@bhn.net

meiwue2 to wbrightfl

Anon

to wbrightfl
i'm cutting BHN cable as soon as HBO Go standalone is available.

Morfein
Lead Peon
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08
Brownsburg, IN

Morfein

Premium Member

said by meiwue2 :

You truly only need 1 channel? Or do you torrent stuff?

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by Morfein:

said by meiwue2 :

You truly only need 1 channel? Or do you torrent stuff?

No one needs any channels, it's a matter of what you want and what you're willing to give up.
bighorn1
Premium Member
BD, CA

2 recommendations

bighorn1 to Guide_Tim

Premium Member

to Guide_Tim
said by Guide_Tim:

And we don't even watch sports in our house lol *sigh*

That increase to $7.00 is solely due to TWC-Dodgers SportsNet LA moronic deal (over $8 billion).

To recoup that money, TWC is trying to sell to other providers at about $4-$5 per subscriber with yearly increases. At that price nobody wants it, so TWC is forcing all of their own subscribes to pay for it.

Unfortunately TWC owns 66% of BHN and that means all BHN west coast customers have to pay for it as well.

So, $7 this March then yearly increases for the TWC-Dodgers length of contract.

I have large number of words to describe this ripoff, but we want to keep it family friendly.

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl

I don't think TWC actually owns part of BHN, do they? Where did you read or hear this? I thought it was more of a partnership or contract thing where they share things like the network.
bighorn1
Premium Member
BD, CA

bighorn1

Premium Member

said by paradigmfl:

I don't think TWC actually owns part of BHN, do they?

Well, not directly, but if we simplify it enough to be understandable:

BHN is a private company, owned by partnership of two legal entities.

One of these (A/N) has 1/3 of equity and is wholly owned subsidiary of Advance Publications, another has 2/3 of equity and is wholly owned subsidiary of TWC.
said by paradigmfl:

I thought it was more of a partnership or contract thing where they share things like the network.

Each of the partners have certain rights and obligations according to partnership agreement

The TWC's part is exercising various management functions, including oversight of programming and engineering-related matters (like network operations).

The A/N part has authority for the supervision of the day-to-day operations (hence all key personel of BHN are members of Newhouse family).

That's BHN in a nutshell...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to paradigmfl

Premium Member

to paradigmfl
said by paradigmfl:

I don't think TWC actually owns part of BHN, do they? Where did you read or hear this? I thought it was more of a partnership or contract thing where they share things like the network.

For correct history and status see »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br ··· Networks
bighorn1
Premium Member
BD, CA

bighorn1

Premium Member

said by BHNtechXpert:

For correct history and status see »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br ··· Networks

Correct status of partnership is best seen in TWC 10-K, 10-Q SEC filings and TWC COMCAST merger applications at FCC.

Wikipedia article is best described as:
"This article appears to be written like an advertisement. Please help improve it by rewriting promotional content from a neutral point of view and removing any inappropriate external links. (January 2015)"

Ace
@bhn.net

Ace

Anon

Sadly, here in FL many of these fees came without real notice. In fact, I was reviewing the 4 different documents I got before and after the AD adaptors, and every single one said there was "no additional cost". Now its $2 each per month that got slipstreamed into my bill. This is on top of the online channels I cannot access via app, the wonderful stream-anywhere package of a total of 13 channels (I get more with an antenna), and that my Internet goes down every single night a bit after 1am for anywhere from 10-120 minutes without any compensation (I happen to be a night owl).

And...after almost 20 visits, they still cannot provide me with reasonable and consistent Internet speeds despite that I have Lightning 60.

Brighthouse has wonderful people working there in customer service and field tech though, but the company almost has me missing my old Comcast.
bighorn1
Premium Member
BD, CA

bighorn1 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Since I have been accused of making everything up
said by UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION file number 001-33335 :

Other revenue primarily includes (i) fees paid to TWC (totaling $135 million, $135 million and $131 million in 2012, 2011 and 2010, respectively) primarily by the Advance/Newhouse Partnership for (a) the ability to distribute the Company’s high-speed data service and (b) TWC’s management of certain functions, including, among others, programming, as well as the provision of certain functions, including engineering, (ii) home shopping network-related revenue (including commissions earned on the sale of merchandise and carriage fees) and (iii) beginning in the fourth quarter of 2012, fees from LA RSN distributors (“LA RSN affiliate fees”).

BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Ace

Premium Member

to Ace
said by Ace :

Sadly, here in FL many of these fees came without real notice. In fact, I was reviewing the 4 different documents I got before and after the AD adaptors, and every single one said there was "no additional cost". Now its $2 each per month that got slipstreamed into my bill. This is on top of the online channels I cannot access via app, the wonderful stream-anywhere package of a total of 13 channels (I get more with an antenna), and that my Internet goes down every single night a bit after 1am for anywhere from 10-120 minutes without any compensation (I happen to be a night owl).

And...after almost 20 visits, they still cannot provide me with reasonable and consistent Internet speeds despite that I have Lightning 60.

Brighthouse has wonderful people working there in customer service and field tech though, but the company almost has me missing my old Comcast.

Ace get with me here please »/fo ··· sedirect re: your internet service.
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to wbrightfl

to wbrightfl
What is interesting is that nearly EVERY piece of programming costs Brighthouse Networks, yet they pick and choose only some to show as an additional billing line.

If RSN is shown as a billing, why isn't TMC, or Blue Hiways, or...well pick anything?

The only LOGICAL way would be to
a. lump cost of all programming by tier into one number for the tier, or
b. list every one as a separate charge.

Arbitrarily breaking out one or two is unjustifiable in any rational sense. Clearly, Brighthouse Networks is trying to convey some message to somebody by doing this irrational thing. Hmmmm...that might make it rational, in a way.

Or, do some content providers pay Brighthouse Networks to carry their program?
allowiches
join:2012-04-01
Palm Coast, FL

allowiches

I think there are two main reasons for this. First, it allows BHN to raise our rates even though we are "locked in" to a "guaranteed" bundle plan.

Second, it is a way to show the uneducated that have no idea that BHN actually pays for content. Next time the local ABC/CBS/NBC affiliate threatens to go black wanting higher carriage fees, BHN will be able to argue to the customers that the affiliate wants your broadcast fee to go up $2.00 a month putting the blame back on the affiliate.

It may backfire though, because once you start separating out fees, people will want to be able to opt out.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL

said by allowiches:

It may backfire though, because once you start separating out fees, people will want to be able to opt out.

I wouldn't mind a bill with the cost broken down to what they're charging for EACH channel. 'course, a paper bill would probably be about 20 pages. Having said that, I'd LOVE to not have to pay for any of the shopping channels, Spanish channels, etc., etc. I imagine us getting all of those channels is somehow involved in the overall price we're paying NOT being higher than it is...

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to allowiches

Premium Member

to allowiches
said by allowiches:

I think there are two main reasons for this. First, it allows BHN to raise our rates even though we are "locked in" to a "guaranteed" bundle plan.

Second, it is a way to show the uneducated that have no idea that BHN actually pays for content. Next time the local ABC/CBS/NBC affiliate threatens to go black wanting higher carriage fees, BHN will be able to argue to the customers that the affiliate wants your broadcast fee to go up $2.00 a month putting the blame back on the affiliate.

Backfire? It's not that most of us have a choice. As you know living in Palm Coast, the only other option is AT&T U-verse (which is just as bad with the fees). Brighthouse (and every other cable/telco provider) knows they have the customer right where they want them and we are limited as to what we can do.

We can cancel TV service, but then our cost of internet goes up even higher. We are in a lose-lose situation unfortunately, regardless.
allowiches
join:2012-04-01
Palm Coast, FL

allowiches

I don't even think we can receive OTA from Orlando or Jacksonville in Paml Coast if we wanted to cut the cord.