uniqs
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: [Extension] uBlock (New Release Alert)

@Davesnothere

I'm pretty sure that only Chromium, Firefox, and Opera are officially supported at this time, but I've read comments from people saying they were running it on SeaMonkey and Palemoon, although I'm not sure about what issues they might be facing. uBlock has only been available for Firefox for a couple of months, and further compatibility is restricted due to time constraints.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

That's encouraging.

I'll have to fiddle a bit then.

Also, if there is a version of uBlock for Chromium, then the new Vivaldi browser might become a candidate, as it is loosely based upon Chromium, as is Google Chrome and recent Opera.

And Cyberfox being compatible is good news too.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock (adblocker for Firefox)

Note that once a user switches to "advanced user" mode in uBlock, it becomes far more than just an ad blocker, but advanced mode does take some time and experimentation to get things working correctly, as it will break some websites until adjustments are made. Those that want adblocking only should stick with the basic mode of operation.

I've been playing around for a few weeks now with both user modes, and also mixing in a bit of NoScript, or Policeman when in uBlock's basic mode, trying to find the perfect solution for my own needs.
ozar

1 recommendation

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock (new release - v 0.8.8.2)

Just a quick note to say that uBlock 0.8.8.2 has been released for anyone wanting to upgrade, or give uBlock a spin. It's out on GitHub now and should be available at the Mozilla Add-ons page shortly:

»github.com/gorhill/uBloc ··· releases

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· /ublock/

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to ozar

Premium Member

to ozar

Some times it will block videos from playing. How do I enable the video from playing with out having to disable uBlock temporarily from a particular page?

Waimea
join:2010-06-30
Toronto, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

Waimea to ozar

to ozar
said by KoRnGtL15:

Some times it will block videos from playing. How do I enable the video from playing with out having to disable uBlock temporarily from a particular page?

You may have to try the advanced mode in ublock.

here's a quickstart guide on how to use it:
»github.com/gorhill/uBloc ··· ck-guide
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

@Waimea

My 3rd-party filters tab has the following enabled:

My filters (my own custom filters)
uBlock filters

ADS:
EasyList
Peter Lowe's Ad server list

PRIVACY:
EasyPrivacy
Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List

MALWARE DOMAINS:
Malware Domain List
Malware domains

SOCIAL:
Fanboy's Annoyance List

CUSTOM:
Fanboy's Anti-thirdparty Fonts
ozar

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock (new version released)

oops... forgot to mention that uBlock 0.8.9.1 has been released for those that want to give uBlock a spin, or upgrade their current version. Note that the latest version might not be available yet on the Mozilla Addons page:

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to ozar

Premium Member

to ozar

Anyone have issues with the lists automatically updating? How often do they update?
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

@KoRnGtL15

Lists are currently updated four days after they expire according to the uBlock FAQ (about half way down the page):

»github.com/gorhill/uBloc ··· wiki/FAQ

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

tonyram57 to ozar

to ozar
I had to go back to Adblock Plus on Firefox and Chrome. I been noticing with uBlock that I was getting annoying popups scams telling me I won prizes and to clam them. Also even other popup ads were slipping though. I did run a virus and malware scan and I am clean. On Chrome however uBlock works better as I did not get those ad ridden popups but I still had to manually update the filters every few days like I had to do on Chrome.

As long as leave unchecked Allow some non-intrusive advertising I should be fine.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

Hi, tonyram57

Not sure why you would be getting those. I'm online quite a bit and have uBlock on 3 different computers, all running Firefox, and haven't seen any ads or popups slipping by on any of them so far. I know that uBlock uses the same filter sets that ABP does, and a few additional ones, so you'd think the end result would be very similar for both blockers. If you think something is getting by that shouldn't be, I'm sure gorhill (the ublock developer) would appreciate a bug report with details so he can fix it:

»github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to tonyram57

to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

I had to go back to Adblock Plus on Firefox and Chrome. I been noticing with uBlock that I was getting annoying popups scams telling me I won prizes and to clam them. Also even other popup ads were slipping though. I did run a virus and malware scan and I am clean. On Chrome however uBlock works better as I did not get those ad ridden popups but I still had to manually update the filters every few days like I had to do on Chrome.

As long as leave unchecked Allow some non-intrusive advertising I should be fine.

Yeah - something seems to be up with your system. I've seen nothing unusual to suggest ublock is as porous as that. Properly configured, ublock should work the same as ABP, with less resource usage.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock 0.9.0.0

The uBlock developers have released version 0.9.0.0 of their efficient blocker for Firefox (and other web browsers):

Note that it may not be available from the Mozilla Add-ons page just yet:

ozar

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock 0.9.1.0

The uBlock devs have released version 0.9.1.0 of their efficient blocker for Firefox:

Note that it may not be available from the Mozilla Add-ons page just yet:

ozar

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock v 0.9.1.1 released

The uBlock devs have released version 0.9.1.1 of their efficient blocker for Firefox:

Note that it may or may not be available directly from the Mozilla Add-ons page just yet:

»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· /0.9.1.1

Mobile Firefox on Android users might also like to know that uBlock is now available to them as well. A quick review about it can be found here:

»www.ghacks.net/2015/03/1 ··· ailable/

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

9-1-1 ?

ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

LOL... funny you should mention that because 0.9.1.1 was released as somewhat of an "emergency release" because of an issue that called for a quick fix.

IndianaGuy
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

IndianaGuy

Anon

Thanks guys, I just got V0.9.1.1 from the authors website. I really like it especially after I learned how to use the simple 'right click' to block webpage elements elements.
I heard about it here on dslreports (from you guys) which I depend on for browser and extension info because I don't frequent other blogs. Keep up the good work because dslreports is my main source!
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock (new release)

Just a quick note to say that the uBlock devs have released version 0.9.2.0 of their efficient blocker for Firefox and several other web browsers:

Note that it might not be available from Mozilla's Add-ons page just yet:

ozar

ozar

Premium Member

Re: [Extension] uBlock (v 0.9.2.1 released)

The uBlock devs have released another new version of their efficient blocker for Firefox (and several other web browsers), this being version 0.9.2.1:

Note that it might not be available from Mozilla's Add-ons page just yet:

KarmaPieces
Premium Member
join:2004-07-05
Mobile, AL

KarmaPieces to ozar

Premium Member

to ozar

I'm using this on Chrome and am a bit frustrated with the support that goes along with it. The small support section on GitHub doesn't really work as well as the ABP forum where one can get help with individual sites. I have an issue with a particular streaming site's embeds telling me to turn off my adblocker and am not sure if help with an issue like that is welcome there.

I tried that regular Adblock (non plus) and kept getting requests for a donation and the way they do things regarding donations seems kind of deceptive.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

Yeah, the uBlock project has become large enough now that it's probably time for someone to implement a user forum providing additional support. GitHub's bug reporting platform works well enough for reporting bugs but is not so good for support requests.
SafireDonkey
Premium Member
join:2006-10-29

SafireDonkey

Premium Member

Looks like gorhill pulled the plug and went Chrome-only again, after way too many idiots flooding in, posting issues which were all 3rd party lists related.
The move to an all browser extension was clearly a mistake, and the full project is now in the hands of Chris Aljoudi, »github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

Yep, just saw that myself and coming here to post the news. It's disappointing that they couldn't work it out.
SafireDonkey
Premium Member
join:2006-10-29

SafireDonkey

Premium Member

said by ozar:

Yep, just saw that myself and coming here to post the news. It's disappointing that they couldn't work it out.

Don't expect too many code changes, DeathAmns left the ship also, and Chris is mainly a Safari-only developer, and on first sight, looks like the primary objective is now .... donations.

Well, back to ABP i guess.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

I'm thinking about reverting to Adblock Edge, but will probably wait a day or two before doing so to see what happens with uBlock. You may be right on the new primary objective being donations.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

....or to Adblock Latitude if on current PaleMoon.

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

LoPhatPhuud to ozar

MVM

to ozar
Current release 0.9.3.0 is available for Firefox. I just installed it. I'll stay with uBlock for the time being.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

ozar

Premium Member

Yeah, got it installed... thanks!

Hopefully, this project will realize its full potential once we are past any instability issues with developers.