spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SRF26
join:2000-04-03
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

FiOS Mobile App - Device cannot access STBs

Hi. I just installed the FiOS mobile app on my two Android 5.0.1 smartphones, but the remote will not connect. The app knows I have two STBs, but when I try to connect to either box, it fails and asks me to ensure I am connected to the FiOS WiFi network, My entire home network (LAN & WLAN) are on the same subnet, including all the FiOS devices. The Actiontec is connected to a D-Link router and the WiFi is disabled. Any ideas on what I need to do to resolve this issue?

TIA...JL
lee7n
join:2012-11-05

3 edits

lee7n

Try rebooting the boxes, that usually works for that issue. Do you get all the channels on the Fios mobile app? If it is limited than it thinks you are not on a fios network. Any reason you are using the Dlink? Is it just to have more ports? I use a netgear I had for the wireless since it gives me way better wifi performance than the Verizon wifi from the acitonoic. A little tricky to setup to be on the same subnet but it can be done.

SRF26
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

Thanks for your reply, but still no joy. I get all the subscribed channels under "Watch Now" to play, but the Android devices refuse to connect to the STBs. My original LAN/WLAN was set up on the D-Link and I just added the Actiontec to it. Any thing else I can try? BTW, both mobile devices are listed as "authorized" so I am stumped.

TIA...JL
lee7n

1 edit

lee7n

Do you have 2 separate subnets? That's what happened to me when I first got Fios. Check if your wifi subnet is the same as your LAN subnet. If there are different ip address ranges that will cause this issue. IPad, Android etc.. needs to be on the subnet from the Actiontec. Is you Dlink connected to the WAN port of the Actiontec? If so it makes a bridge and you may end up with 2 subnets.

SRF26
Jamaica, NY

1 edit

SRF26

There is only one subnet. When I log into the Actiontec, I can see the IP addresses of all the devices on my LAN/WLAN.

BTW, a minute after I try to connect and fail, a message appears on my TV screen indicating the FiOS mobile companion connection failed. What's with that?

TIA....JL

Update:
I still get a failed connection message when I launch the REMOTE function, but the channels on my Favorites now appear on the "Watch Now" list. Very strange app. Thanks for your help.
lee7n

lee7n

ruling that out I don't no what else I can tell you. Perhaps its an Android issue, do you have a surface or Ipad you can test on?

SRF26
Jamaica, NY

SRF26

Lee7n:
I finally got it to work. Even though everything is on the same subnet, the app can't find the STBs. I turned on the Actiontec WiFi and was able to get it to work. The only thing that I gained was the smartphone remote function so I turned it off. Thanks again for all your input.

Regards...JL
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

Unless you have your DLink set up as a wireless bridge, they won't be in the same subnet.
DLink will do its own DHCP and give it a new IP. And if you have DLink configured to give the same subnet, it may get confused as it will be listed as default gateway.
lee7n

4 edits

lee7n

He says he is using the wireless from the Actiontec and the Dlink wireless is off so his wireless Android devices should work on the wifi from the Actiontec, but yes I suppose if he has two subnets with same ip range setup, that could cause issues.
I was able to get my Netgear wireless to broadcast on the Actiontec subnet by connecting a Netgear LAN port to a LAN (not WAN) port of the Actiontec. I than assigned the Netgear a static ip and turned off the dhcp of the Netgear. I think I had to load the default of the Netgear before doing any of this. Fios app devices work now from the connecting to the wifi of the Netgear. When I originally got FIos I connected the Netgear to the Wan port of Actiontec and there was a bridge and I had two subnets. I had entered a different IP range in the Netgear than the FIOS one. This had caused a problem with FIos apps when connected to the Netgear wireless. Wireless of the Actiontec (I don't have the one you pay extra for) was terrible.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

Yes. That is what I was referring to as a wireless bridge.
And he actually had the Actiontec wireless off. He said he got it to work by turning the actiontec wireless on.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to SRF26

to SRF26
To use your own router for WiFi, you'd need to turn off its DHCP and make it an access point, ie change it from router mode.

It wasn't clear from your original post but became clear later that you connected your router to the actiontec so that you can use it for WiFi instead.

You can do that but it needs to be in access point mode so that all of the IP addresses are given out by the actiontec.
lee7n

lee7n

My bad, it sounded from the first post that dlink had wireless off. Didn't catch he said he turned on the Actiontec wireless in the later post.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to SRF26

to SRF26
FYI

App Updated

»www.androidpolice.com/20 ··· ordings/

SRF26
Jamaica, NY

SRF26