spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Toronto88
join:2015-02-02
Toronto, ON

Toronto88

Asus DSL-AC68U VDSL Modem/Router

Hi all, I'm currently with Start and using the SmartRG505 modem. I don't really like it, as it only has one port of gigabit ethernet and no AC wireless. I'm considering switching to the Asus DSL-AC68U. I can't find it for sale anywhere in North America, but it seems to be widely available in Europe. Does anyone have any experience with this modem here in Canada?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Probably safe to assume it will cost more than the AC68u router only model, why not just buy the AC68u and bridge the SR505N you have?

The Asus VDSL gateway is unlikely to work on first gen VDSL slams (Stingers) which is why the first Bell Sagemcom and SR505ns modems are the only ones IISPs use for VDSL service in ON/QC.

Edit: Looks like it goes for 176GBP (MSRP 200 GBP) accross the pond, you're looking at $325+ CAD if it were to be sold here or if you attempted to import it.

The AC68u is $249.99 on newegg.ca (yikes the CAD going down jumped the price up :\).

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt to Toronto88

Premium Member

to Toronto88
Telnet into your modem and run the following command.

adsl info --vendor

You're looking for the following output. If it shows IKNS, that modem will likely not work due to the Lucent Stinger poor compatibility.

ChipSet Vendor Id: IKNS:0x0100
ChipSet VersionNumber: 0x0100
ChipSet SerialNumber: 5823

If it shows BDCM you're currently on a Alcatel 7330 remote or variants with a Broadcom chipset and the Asus modem will likely work when properly configured to VLAN ID=35.
Toronto88
Toronto, ON

Toronto88

Awesome this is very helpful. Thank you!
Toronto88

Toronto88 to TypeS

to TypeS
Yes I know it will be expensive, however I've found it for about £126, so around $240, plus shipping and taxes, so still more than the router on it's own. However where the router/modem is located, there is a dearth of outlets, and it would be nice to minimize the clutter.

I do appreciate your advice though, thanks.
bw5745
join:2014-03-14

bw5745

Since Bell has total control over Stinger vs. 7330, you are taking a risk when you switch away from the SmartRG. Bell could move your connection over to a Stinger to give the bug-free 7330 port to their customers. If you move house, all bets are off.

Does the Asus modem have a separate WAN port so that you can disable the modem part and use the SmartRG as a modem only? If not, you could end up with an expensive paperweight.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

The Asus VDSL gateway is unlikely to work on first gen VDSL slams (Stingers) which is why the first Bell Sagemcom and SR505ns modems are the only ones IISPs use for VDSL service in ON/QC.

Plus the Zhone 6718-W1-NA (actually three different models in the family) and the Kasda rebranded as CIK and Vmedia.
»Another VDSL2 modem certified for Bell VDSL ?
»CIK KW5262 VDSL MODEM

And of course Bell's Home Hub 1000 and Home Hub 2000.

All of them, except maybe the Home Hub 2000, are built around the BCM63168 chipset. The DSL-AC68U isn't, so I think it is unlikely to ever work with Stingers.
sambul92
join:2015-01-17
Canada

2 edits

sambul92 to Toronto88

to Toronto88
said by Toronto88:

I'm currently with Start and using the SmartRG505 modem. I don't really like it, as it only has one port of gigabit ethernet and no AC wireless.

Your modem needs to be chosen based on your sub speeds and usage habits, and doesn't have to be the latest model as it may deliver no advantages, or even have drawbacks as you pointed. You can still buy Sagemcom 2864 for $40 on kijiji, it'll give you 35 (50 in Bridge mode) /10 Mbps speeds, 4 G-Ethernet and WiFi-n. If you want stronger WiFi, just switch it to true Bridge mode and hook your own router, not necessarily ASUS-AC68U , many good routers will do.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Toronto88

to Toronto88
just keep the SmartRG and put it in bridge mode and buy a nice $100ish router to handle all your networking needs (gigabit LAN and better wifi).
Toronto88
Toronto, ON

Toronto88

ChipSet Vendor Id: BDCM:0xa3dd
ChipSet VersionNumber: 0xa3dd
ChipSet SerialNumber: CB5GF902-16

Looks like I'm on the Broadcom chipset! I also emailed Start's support and they said it should work. I'm going to give it a go. I will report back once I've given it a try. Thanks everyone.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Looks like you might have lucked out. You will have to set up the modem for VDSL, I believe the two most important things for VDSL on the bell network are Framing Mode: PTM and VLAN ID: 35.

However I would suggest you keep the SmartRG, for troubleshooting purposes down the line.