Search similar:

uniqs
codedhandrew
join:2015-02-02

1 edit

codedhandrew

IS CISCO EA700 ROUTER good for a staff of 45 users

Hello Forum

Please a friend recommended me to your site am having issues with network i have a router Linksys EA6500 with a staff of 45 users.

It works perfectly fine but after working for longer hours it gets choked and freezes what i meant freezing is that we wont be able to browse again after some few minutes or hours it starts working fine.

Now my question is

1. Is it a router problem.

2. Or number of users accessing the router.

3. What type of router can you recommend to accept 45 users.

4. I set up an access point it works well and after few minutes i cant access the Intranet local network but i can browse the internet and later it connects back with the intranet. like timing me out of the intranet

Please would be grateful for your Help and advice since was told you company are the experts.

Kindly email will really appreciate this forum. email: [mod note: email removed. Responses can be provided here.]

Thanks
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE

MVM

Think you have the wrong forum, friend. Our expertise here is not with Linksys (now Belkin) products. You may want to try over in that specific forum of DSLR.

From a basic networking troubleshooting perspective, some things to try to rule out the EA6500 as the source of the problem :
- can you ping the IP address of the EA6500 when it chokes / freezes, or when wireless problems occur?
- if yes to above, can you access the web interface of the EA6500 during this time?
- can you ping the ISP's IP address when it chokes / freezes?
- does the EA6500 have any sort of stat(s) for you to measure / trend over a longterm period? Specifically, CPU, memory utilization, # of connections, etc.
- have you done any sort of loadtesting with iperf or similar ON JUST THE EA6500 itself both wired and wirelessly?
- have you checked your area for wireless interference, either from other 802.11-type networks and from other sources of interference -- microwaves, buiilding construction material(s), etc.

For general networking equipment reviews in the class of the EA6500, I'd suggest starting at www.smallnetbuilder.com

For an overall recommendation of equipment for your case, more specific information is needed :
- speed of your internet connection / package
- what is your budget?
- what is your level of technical expertise and expectation of support -- google-fu, paid phone/email, something else?
- what type of traffic load and breakdown are said users putting across their network / this particular device
- what type of 802.11 wireless is needed? G? N? AC? What physical area must it cover?
- any other specific needs / requirements other than the already stated "45 users" and "wireless." Eg. GigE interfaces, POE, VLANs, VPN, IxS / anti-X services, etc.

Regards
codedhandrew

codedhandrew

Speed of Internet = 1.85mbps

Budget is around = $173.

Level = Average.

Surfing and Intranet uses.

all wireless needed = b,g,n

Weak signal and timing off from access point after staying few minutes
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Time for your company to invest in it's growth and buy some proper gear. My company has fewer employees but we use Cisco ISR routers, Catalyst swithces and Aironet access points. Domestic or "SMB" devices just can't cope with the demands placed on them.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to codedhandrew

to codedhandrew
"Budget is around = $173"

You are in the wrong forum....

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by battleop:

"Budget is around = $173"

You are in the wrong forum....

Yeah... my home lab switch (bought used) wasn't even that cheap.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to codedhandrew

MVM

to codedhandrew
said by codedhandrew:

Hello Forum

Please a friend recommended me to your site am having issues with network i have a router Linksys EA6500 with a staff of 45 users.

It works perfectly fine but after working for longer hours it gets choked and freezes what i meant freezing is that we wont be able to browse again after some few minutes or hours it starts working fine.

Now my question is

1. Is it a router problem.

2. Or number of users accessing the router.

3. What type of router can you recommend to accept 45 users.

4. I set up an access point it works well and after few minutes i cant access the Intranet local network but i can browse the internet and later it connects back with the intranet. like timing me out of the intranet

Please would be grateful for your Help and advice since was told you company are the experts.

Kindly email will really appreciate this forum. email: [mod note: email removed. Responses can be provided here.]

Thanks

It may sound like DNS issue which need validation. Next time, try to access by IP address instead of name when the problem reoccurs.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
They are more precise in their budget at $173 than I am. I spent about $40k on some network upgrades at the end of last month. When I told our CFO what I was spending I just told him about $40k and he was good with that.
codedhandrew

codedhandrew to aryoba

to aryoba
is it the access point issue you referring to or generally

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to markysharkey

to markysharkey
I usually spend around $100. I've done a lot of installs on business and educational environments which normally get hammered from heavy use, and I've been installing the SE2800 since 2011 and SE4008 since 2014 without any problems. If more then 8 ports are needed I just cascade multiple switches with patch cables together. I know managed switches with more ports are probably a better idea but the cost savings my clients request make them happy, and it works, plus if something happens it's easier to swap out since I can go to any store and pick one up, but I haven't had to. Previously I was installing the SD2008 and EZXS88W but they were discontinued.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

1 recommendation

Hagar to codedhandrew

to codedhandrew
I think too many users for the Access Point (AP)

1) I do not like combined devices, I prefer a router and an AP. Then you can figure out which device have issues.

2) I have seen 45 devices on cheep devices but not 45 active users. With that many devices very common that Wifi network is flaky.

3) I recommend Ubiquiti AP or similar enterprise focused devices.

The EA700 router part is probably OK, buy a good AP or two and problem most likely solved.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Regarding access points, I'm gonna stick with the Linksys theme and recommend their business AP's. »www.linksys.com/us/c/bus ··· -points/ I've had a chance to install these and really was impressed by the ease of management, control, and installation. A joy honestly. Here's a demo of the UI for one of them. »ui.linksys.com/files/LAP ··· atus.htm