spc
Search similar:

uniqs

josephf
join:2009-04-26

1 recommendation

josephf to cb14

to cb14

Re: Is OBi really 'officially' supported by google?

said by cb14:

Google voice IS an unfair competition and causes a lot of damage to BYOD VoIP carriers and by the virtue of that to all of us here. People who defend this foolishness really do not see further than the tip of their nose.

There are two problems for BYOD here. #1, the artificial "free"; as miserable as it might be it's still free and it's difficult to compete with something what's "free".

Google's raison d'etre over the past decade plus has been to be disruptive in every market they enter. They've taken previously paid services and started offering them for free at least as long as Gmail came around versus the non-free e-mail providers who charged for spam filtering and space over 4 megabytes. Since when must business' be fair to their competition? (Assuming they aren't planning to raise prices after putting the competition out of business.)

#2, getting out the message. Even my neighbors know or heard about Google Voice, Magic Jack, Nettalk, Ooma, Skype or Vonage.
But you can hire a crew of 20 surveyors and they will need half a day here to found somebody around who ever heard about Callcentric, Localphone, Circlenet,CWU, F9, VoIP. ms or anveo.

P.S. Even people who write articles in tech sections of the newspapers never heard about BYOD

Which just goes to show that even without GV+OBi people still wouldn't be running to the BYOD providers because they mostly never heard of them. Callcentric and Future-Nine still wouldn't be buying ads on network TV if GV didn't exist.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to josephf

to josephf
said by josephf:

Also, you need to account for the fact that not all (or even most?) GV+OBi users would purchase a paid VoIP service if GV+OBi didn't exist.

That's a wrong assumption because the majority of SERIOUS users would. I am talking here especially about a large number of small and mid size businesses with a large outgoing call volume which use GV. They often keep a main line telco/cable/ BYOD and handle the rest, especially outgoing, via GV. Same applies for a number of serious non business users . I personally used GV for outgoing domestic for a number of years.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

You think there's a critical mass of serious business customers that use GV as their primary telecom line? I'm sure it exists but I'm not sure it's as prevalent as you seem to think. (Especially post the May 2014 scare of GV+OBi's expected demise and users transitioning off of it.)

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to josephf

to josephf
said by josephf:

Google's raison d'etre over the past decade plus has been to be disruptive in every market they enter. They've taken previously paid services and started offering them for free at least as long as Gmail came around versus the non-free e-mail providers who charged for spam filtering and space over 4 megabytes. Since when must business' be fair to their competition? (Assuming they aren't planning to raise prices after putting the competition out of business.)

Google is also well known to suddenly drop/ change services when it fits Google regardless what it does to the customers/users. I would not compare Google from way back (" do not do evil") to the Google of today ( "do not do too much evil")
said by josephf:

Which just goes to show that even without GV+OBi people still wouldn't be running to the BYOD providers because they mostly never heard of them. Callcentric and Future-Nine still wouldn't be buying ads on network TV if GV didn't exist.

They might be running, at least in somewhat smaller numbers. In the times of junk information overkill, most people do not get beyond GV , MJ and others. They do not try to explore any more , neither do they listen to weak hints. It's the loud repetition which does the trick.
cb14

cb14 to josephf

to josephf
said by josephf:

You think there's a critical mass of serious business customers that use GV as their primary telecom line? I'm sure it exists but I'm not sure it's as prevalent as you seem to think. (Especially post the May 2014 scare of GV+OBi's expected demise and users transitioning off of it.)

Did I ever say primary line with GV ?