·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to shezams

MVM

to shezams

Re: Goodby RadioShack?

Click for full size
Lafayette HE80 SW receiver
said by shezams:

Anyone remember Lafayette Radio Electronics?

Always liked them. Purchased a HE80 general coverage short wave receiver in high school. Strung a long wire antenna from the rear of the house to our bird feeder near the alley. Can't remember when I got rid of it or how.

While we are reminiscing any one remember:

Burstein-Applebee - Can't remember what if anything I ever purchased from them but the name is burned into my memory.

Poly Paks - Can't beat the fun of using unmarked floor sweeping transistors and ICs.

Fair Radio (they are still around) I actually went there once in the early 70s.

There was also a surplus/excess inventory company that sent out a periodic flyer during the early 70's - can't remember the name. But I purchased a fair amount of components from them.

/tom

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

Poly Paks - Can't beat the fun of using unmarked floor sweeping transistors and ICs.

And LED's!

RS had a 15-pack of NPN transistors. They were made with the case backwards (so pinout was CBE instead of EBC.) Bought some in early '80s.

Have some circuits on my web site. Even now, i still get emails from people saying they don't work. Yup, backwards RS transistors. They must had a boatload of them as they still sell them .

Kinda remember Fair Radio, never used them.

Jameco and JDR in the beginning of the Internet basically stopped me from going to RS.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to shezams

Premium Member

to shezams
Dead was part of circuit city. »en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ··· uit_City
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Gotta say I will miss the component and connector bins. They may have only had a handful of the most commonly used components at a substantial price markup but it was nice when you were in a pinch or didn't want to wait for something to be shipped from online.

In a lot of areas Radioshack is the only component/ electronic hobbyist retailer. There is only one other component retailer in my area and their selection/prices are even more unpredictable than Radioshack. The next closest is nearly 70 miles away.

Hopefully most of the franchise stores will find a way to live on. A lot of them in small towns are the only electronic store of any kind.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
So... another Fry's chain?

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by mackey:

I was not aware Fry's sells ham radios, business radios, antennas, scanners, speaker building components, etc.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen "antennas, scanners, speaker building components, etc" along with CB radios and FRS radios, though I don't think they have licensed (ham, business) radios.

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
They have CBs. »www.frys.com/category/Ou ··· +Radios/
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt to shezams

to shezams
Click for full size
1976 Catalog
Click for full size
1962 Catalog
Click for full size
1974 Catalog
said by shezams:

Anyone remember Lafayette Radio Electronics?

The good news is the Radio Shack in Mount Dora, Florida will remain open.

Since we are being nostalgic.

Lafayette Radio was put out of business by the FCC. When the FCC passed a rule prohibiting the sale of 23 Channel CB Radios and allowing only the sale of 40 channel CB radios, Lafayette Radio had a warehouse full of 23 Channel CB radios which could no longer be sold. That combined with the recession caused by the 1974 Arab oil embargo wrote their epitaph.

Olson Electronics was taken over by Teledyne in the early 1970's. Not longer after the Arab oil embargo Teledyne's top management had their subordinates list all of their subsidiaries by profitability. The decision maker drew a line through the list. Those subsidiaries listed below the line were sold or liquidated. Check out the catalog covers above.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by Mr Matt:

Olson Electronics was taken over by Teledyne in the early 1970's.

Interesting, never heard of Olson.

Like tschmidt See Profile I spent most of my money at the surplus stores in Philly, then Lafayette. Of course, by that time (62-63) girls started eating into my budget. Good thing the Army came along to stop my electronics habit.

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
The good news is My Radio Shack by my house at least 1 will stay open I was in their today and asked. & I got this on sale to!

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

said by mackey:

I was not aware Fry's sells ham radios, business radios, antennas, scanners, speaker building components, etc.

They actually do have most of those. Not sure about the speaker building components though.
ilikeme

ilikeme to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway
said by daveinpoway:

Years ago, Tandy (Radio Shack's parent company) had Incredible Universe stores (only one or two per city) to sell a large variety of items- this concept failed and probably cost the company a ton of money.

As I recall, some IU stores (including the one in San Diego) were sold to Fry's and the others were closed.

The one in Houston got turned into a Houston Community College campus. They have made the building even larger.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 edit

nonymous (banned) to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
Is the Sprint Radio Shack going to be a cobrand? Or are they just going to be a Sprint store.
I am wondering if Son aka Softbank is dumb or maybe someone has an idea to turn around the Radio Shack part also.
Son does a bit of everything not just cell. So the cobranding is for Sprint and it still reads as a cobrand store in a store. So I doubt he wants to be tied to the current rock that is Radio Shack. So someone must have a turn around idea.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Someone just told me the last day is tomorrow (Sunday) and everything's 90% off, including store fixtures. I have no idea if it's every store or just the local one...

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

WOW even store fixtures.... IF i did't have the same shelving units but better.... (Mine are made out of wood)
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

One of my local stores is having its last day tomorrow (Wednesday). Today, whatever merchandise was left was 90% off; I bought some audio adapters.

Fixtures were 50% off.
keno5net
join:2002-01-05
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
Last day yesterday at the one near my house. They were handing out bags and you could buy a bag full of anything for $10 After I filled my bag they rang it all up and it came to $170 before the discount. It still made me sad like picking over the corpse of an old friend.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Hey, they're still hiring! »jobs.radioshack.com/
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Latest news: »www.twice.com/news/retai ··· es/56181

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Wow at least 4 near me closed (most are cleared out already) sad but had to be done
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Many of their catalogs have been preserved, fascinating reading.
»www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to chip89

Premium Member

to chip89
Yes but all cell phones have a 3.5mm you could use a normal adaptor and no batteries required
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

1 recommendation

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Latest development: »www.twice.com/news/retai ··· le/56590

chip89
Premium Member
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
RadioShack has been saved!!! It will live!!! »www.wired.com/2015/03/ra ··· cy-deal/

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
The HE series was built by Kenwood for Lafayette. Very decent receiver for the money.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to chip89

Premium Member

to chip89
The one closest to me is gone, but it was a dead store walking for a long time. I hope Sprint can revitalize it with maker stuff, Arduinos, RasPi's, 3D printers and the like...
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011 to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
So far the two in our town are staying open.

But the list shows 25 other stores closing in Washington state.

A month ago I stopped at 10 or so of them on a trip up I5. It was interesting as some stores were down to bare walls and a small pile of phone accessories and other stores had lots of stock and stuff was only marked down 10% or 20%.

Probably my best find was a discone antenna for less than $20.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Radio Shack reborn: »www.twice.com/news/retai ··· 10/56609 and »www.twice.com/news/retai ··· ck/56625

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

1 recommendation

Hank

Premium Member

For those of you that need parts here is another resource that sells quality parts.

NTEPARTSDIRECT.COM