See: »Re: Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.296

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

3 edits

chachazz to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
Security Advisory for Adobe Flash Player (APSA15-02)
quote:
Security Advisory for Adobe Flash Player
Release date: February 2, 2015
Vulnerability identifier: APSA15-02
CVE number: CVE-2015-0313
Platform: All Platforms

Summary
A critical vulnerability (CVE-2015-0313) exists in Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.296 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh. Successful exploitation could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. We are aware of reports that this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild via drive-by-download attacks against systems running Internet Explorer and Firefox on Windows 8.1 and below.

Adobe expects to release an update for Flash Player during the week of February 2. For more information on updating Flash Player please refer to this post.

Affected software versions

Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.296 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh
Adobe Flash Player 13.0.0.264 and earlier 13.x versions

Thanks redwolfe_98 See Profile

Look for updated files here: »www.adobe.com/uk/product ··· on3.html

WildByDesign
join:2014-09-05
Canada

WildByDesign to redwolfe_98

to redwolfe_98
Interesting to see Chrome/Chromium again not affected. I wonder if the PPAPI sandbox is more difficult to penetrate. IE uses sandboxing as well yet is vulnerable.
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Indeed ...."New Adobe Flash 0-Day Used In Malvertising Campaign"...Yet another critical zero-day vulnerability has been found in Adobe Flash -- the latest in a series of holes found over the past month. This one, CVE-2015-0313, is being exploited in malvertising attacks, according to researchers from Trend Micro.

The vulnerability affects the most recent version of Flash on Windows systems running Internet Explorer or Firefox. Adobe has indicated that a patch will be available this week....[ »www.darkreading.com/new- ··· 1318900? ]

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
And the Adobe four-step dance continues: Adobe issues Flash security patch, observers discover fresh zero-day Flash exploit, users disable Flash in browsers, everyone waits, Adobe issues Flash security patch... rinse and repeat endlessly. Endlessly, that is, until Flash gets shoved completely aside by HTML5... then we get to see what that will really portend.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
Uninstalling Flash now. Adobe is too fat and lazy for their own good. Can't wait for their inevitable downfall what with their bug-riddled code and ridiculous "Creative Cloud" highway robbery pricing.

mikeeb
join:2015-01-27
England

mikeeb to Blackbird

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

And the Adobe four-step dance continues

Hahaha!
I don't think it will ever end
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Addition "0" flash ....'News Flash! 3rd time unlucky! New 0-day hits Adobe's browser plug-in..."...[ »nakedsecurity.sophos.com ··· plug-in/ ]

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

It really makes me wonder if Adobe has even bothered to do an audit on their code. From the looks of things, I'm going to say... no.
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

It is "TIME" to unplug flash ¿ ¿

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

I would love to do this but what would we replace it with? I have it set so that flash will not start unless I approve it to do so. I have read that HTML5 would replace flash but I will have to learn how to get HTML5 to work.
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

85160670 (banned)

Here we go : "Enable HTML 5 in Internet Explorer"....[ »webdesign.about.com/od/i ··· orer.htm ] & here easy codecs download, but "DO it with your own RISK" ....[ »www.techcular.com/how-to ··· deo-tag/ ]

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

4 recommendations

Cartel to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

2 recommendations

Dustyn

Premium Member

Is she having bytes or megabytes?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 recommendations

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Hope she has a good dental plan !
wolfy339
join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

1 recommendation

wolfy339 to redwolfe_98

to redwolfe_98
There is a reason I have set flash to "Ask to Activate" in FireFox.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by wolfy339:

There is a reason I have set flash to "Ask to Activate" in FireFox.

I do that for all plugins.

mikeeb
join:2015-01-27
England

mikeeb to trparky

to trparky
said by Adobe Software Licensing Agreement :

7.3 Local Storage. Flash Player and Adobe AIR may allow third parties to store certain information on
your Computer in a local data file known as a local shared object.
The type and amount of information
that the third party application requests to be stored
in a local shared object can vary by application and
such requests are controlled by the third party. To
find more information on local shared objects and
learn how to limit or control the storage of local shared objects on your Computer, please visit
»www.adobe.com/go/flashpl ··· security

Am I right in thinking this is how malware installs itself on users PC's?
Will selecting "Block all sites from storing information on this computer" stop this from happening?

WildByDesign
Canada

1 recommendation

to redwolfe_98
I often wonder, on average, how many days per year that we are left vulnerable to Flash exploits if we were to add up all of the days waiting for patches while these exploits are being actively targeted.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

3 edits

altermatt to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
re: the idea of HTML 5 video replacing Flash, a web-designer friend says the real problem for them is that Flash has worked in IE and FF and HTML 5 is still requiring one video type for older IE, one for newer IE and one for some installs of FF, and then there's always Apple (which did stop supporting Flash supposedly). If something would work in all browsers that supported HTML5 with the video tag, designers would more readily drop .swf, but the onus of creating multiple video types (many coding sites recommend mp4, ogg, webm, and sometimes one other, plus a flash backup) is discouraging (though once you have all the video types made, the code is fairly simple. Not to mention the older browsers that don't support HTML 5.

One definitive coding site says for the latest browsers, you can do with both mp4 and either webm or ogg, with a swf backup, and to cover everyone:

Support everything well •HTML5, Flash: MP4/H.264, High profile
•HTML5: WebM
•HTML5: Ogg
•Mobile: MP4/H.264, Baseline profile, 480×360, for older mobile devices
•Mobile: MP4/H.264, Main profile, 1280×720, for older iOS devices (iPhone 4 and older iPads/Apple TV). The newest devices (iPhone 5, etc) can support the desktop High profile rendition.
•Mobile: 3GP/MPEG4, 320×240 and/or 177×144, for non-smartphones*

redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

i think one code type is great, the "flash player" code..

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

2 recommendations

trparky to altermatt

Premium Member

to altermatt
said by altermatt:

Not to mention the older browsers that don't support HTML 5.

So be it. I'm trying to find a reason why I should care and I'm coming up empty.

That statement, though not specifically saying it, means that just because there are some older browsers out there the rest of the Internet should be kept behind. The faster we kill Adobe Flash off and not only put it into the ground but bury it concrete, the better off the rest of the Internet community will be.

I understand that backwards compatibility is a necessity but at what point do you say enough is enough already? The world must move on and that includes killing off Adobe Flash and all of God knows how many security holes that piece of shit still has in it.

By catering to those who don't want to upgrade you're continuing the cycle of stupidity and giving those people no reason to upgrade.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

And the Adobe four-step dance continues...

I've been all along (every time there's a weely almost daily update) that Flash is worse than Swiss cheese with so many security holes .

WildByDesign
Canada

WildByDesign to StuartMW

to StuartMW
You win!

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

2 edits

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

Last updated: February 4, 2015: Security Advisory for Adobe Flash Player (APSA15-02)
quote:
February 4, 2015 - updated to include Flash Player version delivered via auto-update.

Users who have enabled auto-update for the Flash Player desktop runtime will be receiving version 16.0.0.305 beginning on February 4. This version includes a fix for CVE-2015-0313. Adobe expects to have an update available for manual download on February 5, and we are working with our distribution partners to make the update available in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 10 and 11.
Look here for downloads via Adobe: »www.adobe.com/uk/product ··· on3.html
Look here for Windows 8/8.1/Server2012 files : »support.microsoft.com/kb/3035034

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by chachazz:

Last updated: February 4, 2015: Security Advisory for Adobe Flash Player (APSA15-02)

quote:
February 4, 2015 - updated to include Flash Player version delivered via auto-update.

Users who have enabled auto-update for the Flash Player desktop runtime will be receiving version 16.0.0.305 beginning on February 4. This version includes a fix for CVE-2015-0313. Adobe expects to have an update available for manual download on February 5, and we are working with our distribution partners to make the update available in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 10 and 11.
Look here for downloads via Adobe: »www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html
Look here for Windows 8/8.1/Server2012 files : »support.microsoft.com/kb/3035034

Bah, no manual installers yet until tomorrow?

WildByDesign
Canada

to redwolfe_98
Ars has a great article worth reading that sums up these latest exploits. Good read, for sure.
»arstechnica.com/security ··· s-to-do/
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

1 recommendation

psloss to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
Now that the v16/.305 update is being dribbled out, TrendMicro has a blog with some analysis of the vuln:
»blog.trendmicro.com/tren ··· ero-day/