aquarium_h2o
join:2015-02-02
QC, Canada
Technicolor DCM475
Obihai OBi202
D-Link DIR-820L

aquarium_h2o

QoS Engine settings

I've been using TekTalk (Teksavvy's VoIP service) for a couple months without any problems (so I know that the ATA i'm using is good). To save some money, I switched to VoIP.ms three weeks ago. In the last week, I've got some problem with VoIP.ms : 2 calls were drop, 2 call one-way audio only (different people).

I remember, last week I've activated the QoS Engine on my D-Link DIR-820L router and put a DHCP Reservation for IP adress of my Grandstream ATA. Settings are attached.

My problems begun at the same time. Are my QoS Engine settings good ? (my upload speed is 10 Mbits/s) Can QoS Engine be the cause of my problems ? Please advice...
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

1 edit

rudeboy24

i would suggest change the priority to "1" and protocol to "any" or "both".

also remove the check mark from '"SIP" under APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY in the FIREWALL SETTINGS

also did you check the granstream settings voip.ms recommends?
»wiki.voip.ms/article/Dev ··· _-_HT502
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by rudeboy24:

also remove the check mark from '"SIP" under APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY in the FIREWALL SETTINGS

Agree.

By the way, OP, don't confuse SIP with SPI which you'll also see on the Firewall settings page.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to rudeboy24

Premium Member

to rudeboy24
said by rudeboy24:

i would suggest change the priority to "1" and protocol to "any" or "both".

Disagree with that, because this router has built-in capability to determine/detect VoIP usage.

Thus, QoS needs to be enabled, but the specific RULE does NOT need to exist at all. It's automatic as long as QoS iteslf is enabled.

The manual for this router makes that (sort of) clear, and I have used a very similar router myself.

In other words, the rule can be deleted, just enable the QoS.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to aquarium_h2o

Premium Member

to aquarium_h2o
My 3rd suggestion (see my other two above) is to put a check mark in the box for Automatic Uplink Speed.

Again, this is a smart router, let it do its job.
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
I didn't see the "Automatic Classification" option, but yes if the router has that then theres no need to add a rule for Voip.
aquarium_h2o
QC, Canada
Technicolor DCM475
Obihai OBi202
D-Link DIR-820L

aquarium_h2o to rudeboy24

to rudeboy24
said by rudeboy24:

Was already done three days ago when talking to voip.ms tech support. Didn't solve the problem. QoS is the only setting that has been change since one week, so that's why I'm thinking that could be the problem, even if it don't really make sense to me.
aquarium_h2o

aquarium_h2o

VoIP.ms tech support also told me to change SIP transport to UDP (was on TCP) and use local SIP port 5080 (was 5082). What do you think of those settings ?
aquarium_h2o

aquarium_h2o to rudeboy24

to rudeboy24
said by rudeboy24:

also did you check the granstream settings voip.ms recommends?

yes !
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to aquarium_h2o

Premium Member

to aquarium_h2o
The manual makes clear:

[Enable QoS Engine]:
This option is disabled by default. Enable this option for a better
experience with online games and other interactive applications,
such as VoIP.

[QoS Engine Rules]:
A QoS Engine Rule identifies a specific message flow and
assigns a priority to that flow. For most applications, automatic classification will be adequate, and specific QoS Engine Rules will not be required.

It seems to me that you are focusing on trivialities (possibly causing more problems) and ignoring the main point.
aquarium_h2o
QC, Canada
Technicolor DCM475
Obihai OBi202
D-Link DIR-820L

aquarium_h2o

said by PX Eliezer1:

It seems to me that you are focusing on trivialities (possibly causing more problems) and ignoring the main point.

Hi, I'm perfectly getting the point that automatic classification would be better than setting a manual rules. And I will do that for sure.

But before doing it, I'm wondering : 1)is the manual rule I've made was the problem of my dropped called and one-way audio ? 2) why ?

Because, if the answer of question 1 is no, I will still have the problem.

Davesworld
join:2007-10-30
Thermal, CA

Davesworld to aquarium_h2o

to aquarium_h2o
said by aquarium_h2o:

VoIP.ms tech support also told me to change SIP transport to UDP (was on TCP) and use local SIP port 5080 (was 5082). What do you think of those settings ?

Take heed of them, tcp is seldom used in voip because of the added delay of the round trip packat acknowledgement so setting QOS for tcp won't do anything for you.
aquarium_h2o
QC, Canada
Technicolor DCM475
Obihai OBi202
D-Link DIR-820L

aquarium_h2o

said by Davesworld:

so setting QOS for tcp won't do anything for you.

I was on TCP when I set the rule. So the rule did make sense first.
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean

said by aquarium_h2o:

I was on TCP when I set the rule. So the rule did make sense first.

It's a bit more complicated than that. SIP traffic itself can be routed via TCP, but the audio channels are always sent via UDP. If you have one-way audio, it's a problem with NAT or a problem at the VoSP's end.
aquarium_h2o
QC, Canada
Technicolor DCM475
Obihai OBi202
D-Link DIR-820L

aquarium_h2o

said by JeanInNapean :

If you have one-way audio, it's a problem with NAT or a problem at the VoSP's end.

I'm with VoIP.ms and everyone on this forum seem to be satisfied, so I think the problem on my end.

My current config is : cable modem -> router DIR-820L -> Grandstream ATA HT-502.

Should I try "modem -> ATA -> router" config ? Would it solve NAT traversal problem ?

JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean

said by aquarium_h2o:

Should I try "modem -> ATA -> router" config ? Would it solve NAT traversal problem ?

Always a good idea for debugging.