Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus

Premium Member

[Business] Comcast business connection

I'm looking for a internet connection for my office in Alexandria,va and looks like comcast is the best provider available when it comes to speed. On the business plans do they still require you have that cable modem/router device from SMC if you have static ip's?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

[Business] Re: Comcast business connection

Short answer, yes...

Actually, I think they can provide one other type of device for static ip's but I cannot remember which one. But you will have to rent their device.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to Modus

to Modus
The leased gateways that you must have for static IPs are the SMCD3G, the Netgear CG3000DCR, or the Cisco DPC3939B. Both the SMC and the Cisco are preferable to the Netgear, for various reasons.

Modus
Premium Member
us

Modus

Premium Member

I've had dealings with comcast business and that SMC gateway prior in multiple locations. The issue was if static ip's were issued and they resided on the SMC gateway then every few weeks the connection would drop along with the static ip info thus causing an outage for that location. I recall it being some config profile that was being lost and we would have to contact support in order to have the profile re-loaded, we went through several of the SMC gateways and still had the same issues.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

The IP's don't "reside" on the gateway the gateway just provides routing of them, you assign them to your stuff and use the 2nd or 6th or 14th in the range as the gateway.

Was the SMC a D2? the D3's are a bit better but I'd just go with the cisco.

The requirement has to do with the way Comcast does statics, they do RIP routing so the gateway and the CMTS talk via RIP so the CMTS knows if it has a packet for network XYZ that XYZ is on the other side of that gateway.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to train_wreck

MVM

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

The leased gateways that you must have for static IPs are the SMCD3G, the Netgear CG3000DCR, or the Cisco DPC3939B. Both the SMC and the Cisco are preferable to the Netgear, for various reasons.

Can you elaborate on that? I have a Netgear right now, and I've noticed it'll get "wedged" over time, but not terribly so. But after a while latency starts getting worse and worse and throughput suffers. A power cycle fixes it. It hasn't been a huge problem so I haven't bothered to call to ask for a Cisco, but if you have other information I can use when I call to request that, I'd appreciate it.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

you are describing the issue i am speaking of. After a while the Netgear starts to get overwhelmed with any volume of traffic moving through it, and begins dropping or seriously delaying packets. Multiple CSRs and install techs have confirmed that it is indeed a problem, that there isnt any solution at this time, and that they recommend the Cisco. The issue seems to rear its head with higher speed tiers; 16/3 tiers see the problem less frequently. There is a sprawling thread about this on the Comcadt Business forums, with many people reporting it.

I have been running the Cisco now for a while; have transferred many terabyted through it without issue.

Modus
Premium Member
us

Modus

Premium Member

Sounds link the Cisco device is the best option. The staff that will be at that location are heavy office 365 users and will being using a cloud VoIP solution so throughput and low latency is important.
Modus

Modus to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
They use RIP for routing? What version of RIP are they using? I can't believe they would be using RIP that's ridiculous in 2015. OSPF is a much more advanced routing protocol than any other Interior gateway protocol.
Modus

Modus to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

There is a sprawling thread about this on the Comcast Business forums, with many people reporting it.

Do you have a direct link to this thread?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Modus

Premium Member

to Modus
said by Modus:

They use RIP for routing? What version of RIP are they using? I can't believe they would be using RIP that's ridiculous in 2015. OSPF is a much more advanced routing protocol than any other Interior gateway protocol.

Not sure but its authenticated rip, and likely because lower end gear can do it and its not doing any cool things like loadbalancing at L3.

so for what its doing its fine, but ya I would like it to be OSPF (or go full cisco and EIGRP)

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to Modus

to Modus
said by Modus:

said by train_wreck:

There is a sprawling thread about this on the Comcast Business forums, with many people reporting it.

Do you have a direct link to this thread?

»forums.businesshelp.comc ··· 00#U5400

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to Modus

MVM

to Modus
said by Modus:

They use RIP for routing?

They're not using it as the IGP for their backbone; it's only used to have the CMTS ingest static prefixes from business subscribers.
said by Modus:

What version of RIP are they using?

RIPv1 doesn't have the concept of CIDR, so it's pretty clear they're using RIPv2.
said by Modus:

I can't believe they would be using RIP that's ridiculous in 2015. OSPF is a much more advanced routing protocol than any other Interior gateway protocol.

They need to send a single prefix up to the CMTS head-end from each business customer gateway with static assignments. RIP is vastly more efficient at doing this than OSPF LSA exchanges and running through the shortest path algorithm for an entire pool of stub prefixes.

It's also only an advertisement in 1 direction. The default route comes down to the gateway in the DHCP advertisement, not a routing protocol.