All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Ryan Tilton
join:2010-09-04
Seattle, WA

2 edits

Ryan Tilton

Google sets Gtalk termination date on February 16th 2015 OBi too?

Google is sending out messages to users of the Windows Google Talk desktop app that its services will be ending on February 16th 2015 (a 2 week notice). Who thinks this could effect the OBi devices as well? »take.ms/GzF0i

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

1. How does this potentially affect the Google Voice service (or its use with OBi)?

2. That screen shot you linked to, who posted it and who sent out that message claiming the end of the Talk for Windows application?

Ryan Tilton
join:2010-09-04
Seattle, WA

Ryan Tilton

Thats what the google talk application read today when I loaded it up. Apparently it was suppose to happen last year and never did, I think google is now starting to make the final updates to integrate everything into hangouts. It potentially effects the OBi because in its current setup it uses the gtalk api and xmpp to make and receive calls.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Isn't Google Talk and Google Chat two separate services?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by josephf:

Isn't Google Talk and Google Chat two separate services?

Yes, and this is rather anticlimactic as Google Talk was a "dead app walking" for a long time already.

No surprise.
PX Eliezer1

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to Ryan Tilton

Premium Member

to Ryan Tilton
said by Ryan Tilton:

Who thinks this could affect the OBi devices as well?

This reminds me of the deep south in the old days, where the local funeral homes also ran the ambulance services. (True).

A bit of conflict of interest it seems.

When the red light was turned off, the ambulance became the hearse.

-----

As should be clear, I am no fan of GV, but some folks seem [too] bloodthirsty for its death.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

1 recommendation

crazyk4952 to Ryan Tilton

Premium Member

to Ryan Tilton
said by Ryan Tilton:

Google is sending out messages to users of the Windows Google Talk desktop app that its services will be ending on February 16th 2015 (a 2 week notice). Who thinks this could effect the OBi devices as well? »take.ms/GzF0i

Please stop posting FUD.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by crazyk4952:

said by Ryan Tilton:

Please stop posting FUD.

I agree totally, but OTOH Google could have stopped this long ago by using clear declarative sentences, issued from one official central source.

They tend to do neither.

Davesworld
join:2007-10-30
Thermal, CA

Davesworld to Ryan Tilton

to Ryan Tilton
What a leading question that is.
System

to Ryan Tilton

Anon

to Ryan Tilton
This topic has been closed. Reason: More suitable topic exists

See: »Is OBi really 'officially' supported by google?